Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2020, 11:58 AM

27,546 posts, read 28,630,498 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DallasReeves View Post
Thanks for the replies everyone; I really appreciate the time you've all taken.

I failed to disclose in my original post (which was a bit overlong) - that the wife and I used to live in Baltimore City - before she got her position at Abbott Labs. So there is some familiarity with Maryland. Having spent time in DC, and some of the Suburbs around there.

I'm also originally from Metro Detroit Suburbs, with family in Detroit area. Also in Ann Arbor, etc.

Also, she would want the option of working for a Biotech / similar company to Abbott initially before transitioning into being a full time business owner. She informs me that the DC / East Coast region is definitely rich with companies in that field.

Wild Card Options are being considered as well. Dallas is a possibility. The idea of the sunbelt as well. Boston is a non-starter discussion, along with California.

I'm definitely curious about these Virginia locations. Definitely keep the ideas coming / information! Thanks.
The biotech corridor in the DC area is in Montgomery County, Maryland along the I-270 corridor.

That is an area to consider.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2020, 12:01 PM

807 posts, read 688,549 times
I would recommend looking in NC and SC. Both Charlotte and Greenville (SC) generally tick most of the boxes for you, but really any of the bigger cities would probably work for you. There are a ton of research labs in the Raleigh/Durham/Chapel Hill area. Charleston and Wilmington are on the coast, but none of the cities are unreasonably far from the ocean.

Old 06-04-2020, 12:05 PM

2,029 posts, read 2,358,288 times
Quote:
This is really the impetus behind my thinking for the family.

Horrible policies, awful governance and zero leadership. A refusal to label violent thugs storming businesses? Oh, that's a "protest gone awry" - NO. That's a RIOT. So instead of admitting the problem for what it is / was - our officials go on Twitter and blame the President. There's taking responsibility.

The answer inevitably whenever the balance sheet needs balancing? How about a plastic bag tax? Or a 1 Penny per Ounce of Soda (Including Diet) Tax?, or inevitably another property tax hike? Or the latest gem from the mayor: taxing Ubers when they're in the busiest area of the city (Loop) and the busiest times (Rush hours / lunch) - just BECAUSE.

It's sick.

I don't want to be a part of it. It hurts, because the City has the DNA to be truly great - but its a shell of what it could be.
You are angling to leave. I live in the western suburbs, and first of all, my taxes on a $1M house are 14.5 K, not $25k as you have stated. Beautiful area, and I have lived in some nice areas of the country. Moderate politics, great place to raise a family. All metros were hit hard by rioting; NYC, LA, Washington, Boston, Charleston, Minneapolis, you name it. If you can't admit that a president hiding in a bunker during a time of crisis is a lack of leadership, then your thinking is all wrong and nothing anyone here can say will sway you one way or another. What hurts, from a person who was transplanted and loves this city to the core, are those who are not a part of a solution, but part of a problem. Whining about an Abbott culture when so many are out of work is absurd to me, and so is a "lack of leadership" when I think the mayor and governor have done a decent job.

Try finding a comparable cost of living and great city combination any where else. I lived in LA and Boston, no way. Chicago has a great DNA, and is great. Good luck in your search.

Old 06-04-2020, 01:16 PM

8,276 posts, read 11,908,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justabystander View Post
You are angling to leave. I live in the western suburbs, and first of all, my taxes on a $1M house are 14.5 K, not $25k as you have stated. Beautiful area, and I have lived in some nice areas of the country. Moderate politics, great place to raise a family. All metros were hit hard by rioting; NYC, LA, Washington, Boston, Charleston, Minneapolis, you name it. If you can't admit that a president hiding in a bunker during a time of crisis is a lack of leadership, then your thinking is all wrong and nothing anyone here can say will sway you one way or another. What hurts, from a person who was transplanted and loves this city to the core, are those who are not a part of a solution, but part of a problem. Whining about an Abbott culture when so many are out of work is absurd to me, and so is a "lack of leadership" when I think the mayor and governor have done a decent job.

Try finding a comparable cost of living and great city combination any where else. I lived in LA and Boston, no way. Chicago has a great DNA, and is great. Good luck in your search.
I agree--some of the OP's complaints seem pretty petty and small, as if to justify leaving because of any real/imagined slight.

Old 06-04-2020, 01:36 PM

48 posts, read 40,129 times
Sounds like you and your wife would thrive in somewhere like my hometown, Nashville. Although it seems like California is out of the picture, I can also vouch for my current city of 13+ months- Los Angeles, California. I lived in Chicago/Evanston for two year (2017-2019), and despite Chicago being a fantastic city to start my career, it certainly isn't a forever home, at least emotionally speaking. There are lots of wonderful cities in America, besides Nashville and LA, such as Denver, Portland, Seattle, Austin, Charlotte, Raleigh, Charleston, Southwest Florida, Washington DC, and Phoenix that are awesome places to continue one's career and start a small business, while enjoying mild weather.

The lure of staying in Chicago is strong if you are from the Midwest and/or have gone to a Big 10 school. But there's an entire country outside of Chicago. I'm concerned you are being too limited with your choices of just staying in Chicago, or Detroit. I have traveled to Detroit on business, and, although alluring in its own respect, the city does not compare to the SunBelt group I listed above.

Old 06-04-2020, 01:40 PM

21,628 posts, read 12,718,846 times
Quote:
This is really the impetus behind my thinking for the family.

Horrible policies, awful governance and zero leadership. A refusal to label violent thugs storming businesses? Oh, that's a "protest gone awry" - NO. That's a RIOT. So instead of admitting the problem for what it is / was - our officials go on Twitter and blame the President. There's taking responsibility.

The answer inevitably whenever the balance sheet needs balancing? How about a plastic bag tax? Or a 1 Penny per Ounce of Soda (Including Diet) Tax?, or inevitably another property tax hike? Or the latest gem from the mayor: taxing Ubers when they're in the busiest area of the city (Loop) and the busiest times (Rush hours / lunch) - just BECAUSE.

It's sick.

I don't want to be a part of it. It hurts, because the City has the DNA to be truly great - but its a shell of what it could be.
This is all just common places in pretty much any metropolis in 2020...gonna be hard to avoid that in an urban area.

Old 06-04-2020, 04:03 PM

58 posts, read 121,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicholas_n View Post
I would recommend looking in NC and SC. Both Charlotte and Greenville (SC) generally tick most of the boxes for you, but really any of the bigger cities would probably work for you. There are a ton of research labs in the Raleigh/Durham/Chapel Hill area. Charleston and Wilmington are on the coast, but none of the cities are unreasonably far from the ocean.
Thanks a bunch for this - never been to Raleigh / Durham / Chapel Hill area. Always wanted to visit as well, so now might be a good time for sure.

Old 06-04-2020, 04:15 PM

58 posts, read 121,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justabystander View Post
What hurts, from a person who was transplanted and loves this city to the core, are those who are not a part of a solution, but part of a problem.
But you don't live in the City. You live in the Suburbs. Do you mean you love your Suburb?

Not part of the solution / part of a problem? I'm confused. Can you explain what this even means? I generally roll my eyes when people use this sentence; but I'll give you the benefit of the doubt.

Old 06-04-2020, 05:15 PM

2,029 posts, read 2,358,288 times
Quote:
But you don't live in the City. You live in the Suburbs. Do you mean you love your Suburb?

Not part of the solution / part of a problem? I'm confused. Can you explain what this even means? I generally roll my eyes when people use this sentence; but I'll give you the benefit of the doubt.
I would love to reply to you, sure. First of all, I used to live in city, in Lakeview, and moved to the west suburbs. I Love both the city and suburbs, but I grew up in Orange Co. California, and am not much of a city person, so I wrestled and convinced my wife to move. Love my town and neighborhood, great schools, beautiful, easy walk to the train to downtown where before covid I worked and loved working in the Loop. I like the Chicago area, all of it, although I am particular about neighborhoods I would choose to live in, either in the city or the suburbs. Chicago offers a vast array of choices in every price bracket, and is a bargain compared to many cities.

Second, I would never live in Rogers Park. If I had to live in that area, I would choose Evanston. If I was in Rogers Park, my view of Chicago might be less rosy. When I moved here, I was determined to discover and research it. I knew where I wanted to live, and where I didn't. I would never dream on going on City Data and asking anyone what was right for me, no offense. Only I know what I like and don't like.

Third, people are part of the problem when they constantly complain and really offer no balance. They fail to do their homework on issues, and therefore sometimes make blanket statements about politics, taxes, generalizations on political leanings etc. For example, there are many suburban areas which would fit your criteria, not bland but rich in history, nightlife, schools for the kids and moderate politics. My row of suburbs on the Burlington Northern are some of them, but you never mentioned them as possibilities. Your statement on taxes being $25,000 for a $1M house is ridiculous, my house is a solid 1M and its taxes are 14,450. The jump from a rented house in RP to a million dollar house is huge, not sure you are serious about this.

Your statements on the mayor and governor are again, imbalanced. I think they did a great job with covid, and dealt with exhaustion with dealing with the unrest. You said they were not leaders, but Trump allowed covid to take over compared to other countries, and sat in a bunker while the country burned. Now the top Generals in the country are calling out his leadership, as any true American who sees this disaster from division in society would do. It is up to the president to lead, not the governors in moments of national crises.

People that are part of the problem complain and moan and never try solutions or make things better. If you think Detroit is better with its Democratic mayor and governor, or DC with its bright blue federal workforce and sky high living costs are better, that is certainly is your choice. Riots happened in every big city in America, your complaining makes it seem you are oblivious to this. Just my honest two cents on this. Good luck, honestly with your decision..

Old 06-05-2020, 04:33 PM

44 posts, read 33,237 times
Default Houston

Because it has nice winters and is still a big city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.