Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2020, 12:45 PM

23 posts, read 14,635 times

Advertisements

I'm trying to plan a 1-2 month road trip to scope out different places I might end up settling in/around rural New England and PA. I'm 33, have a bachelors in biology, and would be happy doing anything that lets me live somewhere rural even if it's totally unrelated to biology. And by rural, I mean living in a place with a bunch of trees, maybe at the edge of a national forest/state park, can't see your neighbors, maybe don't have neighbors, kind of thing. I live cheaply, but only have a few thousand dollars saved up.

I've traveled a lot in the US, mostly living in my car, and always feel freest out in the forest and the canyons. I've also lived in towns/cities and always feel constricted and numbed.

My long term goal is to build or turn a place into a massive series of immersive art exhibits, like Meow Wolf in Santa Fe or Factory Obscura in Tulsa, and somewhat like Mass MOCA in North Adams. Step one would be to rent a space and create one immersive room with materials from the dump/junkyard and charge an entry fee as a proof of concept in order to attract the funding for more rooms.

Another huge goal on top of that would be to create an art colony where young creative people come to collaborate and make things, with the immersive art exhibits serving as an anchor for income and for displaying work.

I think in order to be able to have the audience required to sustain the space, it would be helpful for this place to not be too too far from some kind of tourist track/area, whether that be Route 1 in Maine, or on the way to the White Mountains, or something like that.

I love being in nature as well as creating weird crazy art, and I know this is a totally crazy dream, but, what the hell, I'd rather fail at it in the country than work towards it for a decade in the city and fail anyway.

Very open to any/all suggestions about places where it might make sense for me to try this! Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2020, 12:57 PM

93,280 posts, read 123,898,066 times
I would say in terms of NY, maybe look into rural areas not too far from bigger Upstate cities. For instance, a company related to your education in the Albany that comes to mind is Regeneron. Bristol Myers-Squibb in the Syracuse area and ConMed in the Utica area also come to mind and there are rural areas nearby that would work in terms of what you want to do artistically. Utica is just south of the Adirondacks. Albany is near the Adirondacks, Catskills and Berkshires. Syracuse has quite a few state parks nearby, with the area to the south of the city has plenty of wooded areas, with hills and valleys.

There are other examples, but those are a few that come to mind.

Here is a good source in terms of a job search for BioTech, Pharma and other related jobs in NY: http://www.thelabrat.com/jobs/compan...hNewYork.shtml

Old 06-01-2020, 01:43 PM

21,629 posts, read 12,754,191 times
Why no CT? Just curious

Old 06-01-2020, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
Why no CT? Just curious
Haha, sorry, I guess I was under the impression CT was mostly suburbs. If it's got some legit wilder places, I'm in!

Old 06-01-2020, 02:51 PM

21,629 posts, read 12,754,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pj0145 View Post
Haha, sorry, I guess I was under the impression CT was mostly suburbs. If it's got some legit wilder places, I'm in!
All of Litchfield County and most of Eastern CT. It’s really Central and Southern/southwestern CT that’s suburbs and cities.

Old 06-01-2020, 03:28 PM

Awesome, thanks!

Old 06-01-2020, 03:55 PM

12,845 posts, read 22,014,769 times
If you're looking for somewhere that's really not established, Millinocket, ME and Berlin, NH immediately came to mind. Both are on the periphery of some of their state's most impressive natural settings. And both are mill towns that have seen a major exodus of retail and business over the years. You would almost certainly be able to find an affordable, visible vacant storefront to setup your proof of concept, and either place would likely have plenty of room to expand if it took off. There are plenty of mill towns across rural New England, but those two jumped out first. Others include Rumford, ME and Barre and Rutland, VT.

Of course, if you're looking for some place that already has a well-established artist community, Brattleboro, Middlebury, or Stowe and others in Vermont would work. Bethel or Kinfield, ME are alternatives in interior Maine. There are tons of artsy towns along the Mid-coast of Maine too.

Old 06-01-2020, 04:53 PM

Irfox, thank you! Millinocket had come to mind! Good to hear about all the others.

Midcoast Maine towns, are you thinking Brunswick, Freeport? I know Rockland/Camden further up, but might be too pricey.

Old 06-01-2020, 05:31 PM

93,280 posts, read 123,898,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
I would say in terms of NY, maybe look into rural areas not too far from bigger Upstate cities. For instance, a company related to your education in the Albany that comes to mind is Regeneron. Bristol Myers-Squibb in the Syracuse area and ConMed in the Utica area also come to mind and there are rural areas nearby that would work in terms of what you want to do artistically. Utica is just south of the Adirondacks. Albany is near the Adirondacks, Catskills and Berkshires. Syracuse has quite a few state parks nearby, with the area to the south of the city has plenty of wooded areas, with hills and valleys.

There are other examples, but those are a few that come to mind.

Here is a good source in terms of a job search for BioTech, Pharma and other related jobs in NY: Biotech, Pharmaceutical, Medical Device, and Chemical Company Jobs in the State of New York
Just to add, some smaller communities to consider are: Chatham near Albany and Troy; Clinton bear Utica and Cazenovia near Syracuse. All of them already have some degree of an art scene.

There’s also a place like Hamilton that is in between Syracuse and Utica, which is home to Colgate University and also has a couple of art venues there. It also has this antique festival in the area: https://www.madison-bouckville.com/ It is a couple towns east of Cazenovia.

There are others, but those are some viable options.

Old 06-01-2020, 06:59 PM

Awesome, thank you! Getting a nice list going.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.