Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2020, 07:12 AM

1,830 posts, read 1,358,948 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeanoSF View Post
Strange that you list Houston as missing for just the 4 seasons thing. I lived half my life in Houston. The only boxes of yours that Houston does check are: Diversity, warm water (but really not desirable) beach access and metro over 2 million.

Philadelphia or DC seem a lot closer, from my perspective.
When was the last time you lived in Houston?

I agree that other than 4 seasons (temp-wise, it has 3) and flat topography, Houston metro checks all the boxes.

I would characterize the city government to be socially liberal, but more fiscally conservative than many not familiar with the area would think. It’s pragmatic and thus very pro-business. As with all cities and states, let us see how it evolves over time.

And I just returned from the beach yesterday. Easy hour or so drive from just outside the core of the city to the outskirts of Galveston’s main tourist beach. Gorgeous weather, no seaweed, just one jellyfish on my entire walk up and down the beach, no trash (okay, one piece), or crowds with blaring music. Just fine, packed sand I could drive on and park my car on, just feet from our lounging area. Saves on the effort of hauling everything a great distance and convenient for popping in and out of the trunk for snacks and drinks in the cooler and various beach and water toys. The water was coolish-warm. Perfect for a dip.

And, unlike the overhyped, crowded, dirty, muddy colored, rocky, seaweed and jellyfish ridden beaches near Newport, RI - you can find Galveston’s beaches that are FREE. I guess you’re paying for the mansion views on Newport’s cliffs in addition to the washing facilities. Yeah, Houston’s beaches are not Destin, but it undeservedly receives a bad rep compared to others that are similar, if not worse - and that charge money for usage. And Galveston’s beaches are large enough that you can just continue driving until you find a beach spot that suits your need. It’s great to have options.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2020, 07:53 AM

5,825 posts, read 5,632,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
And do you live there? Obviously we all have our preferences and the pickier you are the harder it would be.

So, I've often said NYC would be about perfect, but one thing I like is to be near warm water. Well, how about Florida then? Nope, need seasons.

My preferences:

Left leaning
4 seasons
Near the coasts
Diverse---above average diversity, doesn't have to be 90% minority
Warm water beach access
Kind of hilly
Above average education
metro area over 2 million

I think the city that comes closest to my description is actually Atlanta. Houston misses with 4 seasons, as does Seattle and LA. North Carolina misses in size and diversity

What is ideal for you?
Excellent thread idea, Focker!

Interesting, I don't think any city would check every single one of my boxes, but have a good idea on what checks most boxes for me:

•large black community, with diverse socioeconomic and sociocultural aspects within said community

•politically mixed, not too far leaning either way

•large scale of ethnic and racial diversity

•rail transit availability, be it heavy and/or light

•sweet spot for size would be the cities currently in the 2-3 million range----->however, I'm perfectly fine in larger cities and there are two or three cities below 2m I could live in

•strong higher ed infrastructure

•location close to other mid-to-large cities, close for me being defined as what I can get to within a 3-hour radius

•strong urban layout

•somewhere the salaries keep up with the COL, and preferably COL not be outrageously high

•city is a hub of events, from traveling events like conventions, political events, plays, to stationary events like festivals and sports

•city that is not above average national violent crime, you can find safe neighborhoods in every city but I don't want to live somewhere that overall scores poorly for violence

So what cities sound like they check all of my boxes, CD family?

I don't know the order they should be in but Charlotte, Los Angeles, and Washington are my Top 3, whatever order, and I feel like I could maximize my quality if life in all three...

Virginia Beach is almost the perfect city for me, to be honest, but it's too small. There are a good amount of things to do, but the well runs dry after awhile as its isolated to SE Virginia and many popular tours skip it, and doesn't have an abundance of festivals or sporting events. It pretty much checks all the other boxes and I wouldn't be averse to returning there, but it kind of has to be under the perfect circumstances at this point. Otherwise, it checks damn near everything, so the biggest challenge would be finding a larger city that packages most of what made Virginia Beach great to me...

Atlanta is a negative, been there, done that. I love Richmond and it checks most boxes and I had more fun there, but enjoyed living in VB (and other places) more. Not a Texas or Florida type, though Houston, Orlando are mildly appealing, as is Nashville...

New York is pretty appealing but I'd really only want to live in Queens...

Old 06-03-2020, 08:48 AM

12,840 posts, read 9,567,574 times
Quote:
Strange that you list Houston as missing for just the 4 seasons thing. I lived half my life in Houston. The only boxes of yours that Houston does check are: Diversity, warm water (but really not desirable) beach access and metro over 2 million.

I was just throwing random cities in, plus I don't want to throw too much shade at Houston as it's a darling here. It checks a lot of boxes though. But Philly and definitely DC are better fits for me.

Old 06-03-2020, 08:50 AM

12,840 posts, read 9,567,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by murksiderock View Post
Excellent thread idea, Focker!

Interesting, I don't think any city would check every single one of my boxes, but have a good idea on what checks most boxes for me:

•large black community, with diverse socioeconomic and sociocultural aspects within said community

•politically mixed, not too far leaning either way

•large scale of ethnic and racial diversity

•rail transit availability, be it heavy and/or light

•sweet spot for size would be the cities currently in the 2-3 million range----->however, I'm perfectly fine in larger cities and there are two or three cities below 2m I could live in

•strong higher ed infrastructure

•location close to other mid-to-large cities, close for me being defined as what I can get to within a 3-hour radius

•strong urban layout

•somewhere the salaries keep up with the COL, and preferably COL not be outrageously high

•city is a hub of events, from traveling events like conventions, political events, plays, to stationary events like festivals and sports

•city that is not above average national violent crime, you can find safe neighborhoods in every city but I don't want to live somewhere that overall scores poorly for violence

So what cities sound like they check all of my boxes, CD family?

I don't know the order they should be in but Charlotte, Los Angeles, and Washington are my Top 3, whatever order, and I feel like I could maximize my quality if life in all three...

Virginia Beach is almost the perfect city for me, to be honest, but it's too small. There are a good amount of things to do, but the well runs dry after awhile as its isolated to SE Virginia and many popular tours skip it, and doesn't have an abundance of festivals or sporting events. It pretty much checks all the other boxes and I wouldn't be averse to returning there, but it kind of has to be under the perfect circumstances at this point. Otherwise, it checks damn near everything, so the biggest challenge would be finding a larger city that packages most of what made Virginia Beach great to me...

Atlanta is a negative, been there, done that. I love Richmond and it checks most boxes and I had more fun there, but enjoyed living in VB (and other places) more. Not a Texas or Florida type, though Houston, Orlando are mildly appealing, as is Nashville...

New York is pretty appealing but I'd really only want to live in Queens...
Thanks! Yeah, figured a light thread is needed these days.

Unless I missed something I think Atlanta is your city.

Old 06-03-2020, 09:54 AM

536 posts, read 823,072 times
Quote:
I was just throwing random cities in, plus I don't want to throw too much shade at Houston as it's a darling here. It checks a lot of boxes though. But Philly and definitely DC are better fits for me.
you're kidding

Old 06-03-2020, 10:03 AM

8,349 posts, read 5,502,221 times
Quote:
Houston as it's a darling here. .
Is that some kind of joke?

Old 06-03-2020, 10:08 AM

12,166 posts, read 8,014,676 times
People move to Houston because they like it? Since when? Its an urban sprawl disaster in a destructive hurricane path with humid, hot weather. Its cheap though and has good jobs... but move there because of the location and layout? Who has ever said that...

Old 06-03-2020, 10:54 AM

2,858 posts, read 2,172,880 times
Quote:

Houston as a whole probably also does not check 'above average education', but inside the loop and other areas fit. It's also far from any place hilly. It does check OP's other boxes though.

Old 06-03-2020, 12:37 PM

1,830 posts, read 1,358,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkwensky View Post
Houston as a whole probably also does not check 'above average education', but inside the loop and other areas fit. It's also far from any place hilly. It does check OP's other boxes though.
It’s part of our diversity. We got a bunch of folks educated in the school of hard knocks. Besides, who wants to live amongst a bunch of eggheads only?

Old 06-03-2020, 01:14 PM

130 posts, read 86,562 times
Progressive

Very environmentally conscious

Large number of vegan restaurants and people.

Lots of trees and mountains.

Urban, walkable and good public transportation.

No harsh winters or ultra hot summers.

Less cars, people prefer to walk than to drive.

Has an NBA team.

Art, sculptures, murals throughout the city.

I currently live in Salt Lake City and it checks a lot of these boxes, it has an amazing amount of vegan restaurants for its size, it’s progressive but it’s suburbs are not, has the Utah Jazz. It gets a little too cold and too hot for me.I love the light rail throughout the city but I wish the blocks were smaller and the roads were less wide.

I feel Portland would be perfect for me, I recently visited and can’t wait to go back.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.