Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2020, 11:45 AM

2,858 posts, read 2,174,162 times

Advertisements

If you can't stand bad drivers then I would stay away from Dallas or any other major Texas cities in general.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2020, 12:04 PM

17 posts, read 14,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citidata18 View Post
I agree with this poster about Fayette County.

As a single professional who lives in the southern Atlanta suburbs, if you want to get away from "boring," "family-oriented" environment and be around other single professionals, I suggest you focus your search on Atlanta proper or the northern suburbs.
No way I could do Atlanta traffic every day. I've also realized I'm not a city person. Very introverted. I like boring, quietness most of the time. I am single but I have a child so we are a family. I think a nice, small family-oriented suburb with visits to the city proper will be just fine. It's a matter of finding the right suburb. Definitely will look more into the Decatur area if I decide to leave NC. Such a love-hate relationship with this place

Old 06-13-2020, 10:33 PM

5,743 posts, read 3,601,915 times
Easy choice. Texas. Just spend a day there, you'll understand why.

Old 06-14-2020, 05:22 PM

7,685 posts, read 6,197,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arr430 View Post
Easy choice. Texas. Just spend a day there, you'll understand why.

95mph in a 65-75mph zone?

Old 06-14-2020, 06:02 PM

12,841 posts, read 9,573,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkwensky View Post
If you can't stand bad drivers then I would stay away from Dallas or any other major Texas cities in general.
Lots of folks driving Dodge Rams to ram you.

Old 07-10-2020, 05:36 PM

124 posts, read 242,680 times
I live in Cabarrus County. Charlotte drivers are maniacs. If you don't like aggressive drivers then Charlotte will be no better then Raleigh. I have lived all over NC and to be honest, the nicest people both behind the wheel and in person are in the western part of the state. Hendersonville, Asheville, Boone. If you want to move out of NC then I'd look towards VA. Maybe a small town near Richmond or outside VA Beach area.

Old 07-10-2020, 10:20 PM

78 posts, read 105,049 times
I’ve lived in both Georgia and Texas and can confirm that the drivers are insane in both areas. Atlanta I thought was WAY worse. Texas doesn’t bother me as much but thats because I appreciate the whole expectation of everyone doing 15mph+ over the speed limit thing. In other words, I’m not in anyone’s way. If you are though, you’ll be run off the road. Don’t move to either place and find a small town in Kansas.

Old 07-11-2020, 05:57 AM

747 posts, read 498,053 times
Just about every mid to large metro area in the country will have rude, aggressive, careless drivers. Most people in the world are like that, so of course most people in the world will exhibit traits such as these from time to time. You cannot escape it unless you move to a smaller, slower-paced town.

If Raleigh is bad, Charlotte is far worse. Dallas and Atlanta are even more aggressive. Basically, anywhere that has a lot of good jobs are going to be bad when it comes to driving.

If you were bored in Raleigh, you will probably be bored in Charlotte. It’s a better city for sure with more amenities, but it doesn’t offer that much more than Raleigh. Atlanta is the most fun city on your list. Dallas also has a lot of amenities.

Maybe Tampa/St. Pete? The drivers aren’t as bad there and I found them MUCH less aggressive than Orlando or Miami. There’s plenty to do and Tampa Bay is a very safe area. The summers can get brutal though, but there’s always a breeze, especially if you head to the beach close by.

Austin is another recommendation. Low crime rate, lots of job opportunities, decent drivers (not as bad as Dallas anyway).

Are you open to the west coast? Portland is pretty peaceful and very safe.

Old 07-12-2020, 09:22 AM

3,866 posts, read 4,280,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by _Uncommon_ View Post
Just about every mid to large metro area in the country will have rude, aggressive, careless drivers. Most people in the world are like that, so of course most people in the world will exhibit traits such as these from time to time. You cannot escape it unless you move to a smaller, slower-paced town.

If Raleigh is bad, Charlotte is far worse. Dallas and Atlanta are even more aggressive. Basically, anywhere that has a lot of good jobs are going to be bad when it comes to driving.

If you were bored in Raleigh, you will probably be bored in Charlotte. It’s a better city for sure with more amenities, but it doesn’t offer that much more than Raleigh. Atlanta is the most fun city on your list. Dallas also has a lot of amenities.

Maybe Tampa/St. Pete? The drivers aren’t as bad there and I found them MUCH less aggressive than Orlando or Miami. There’s plenty to do and Tampa Bay is a very safe area. The summers can get brutal though, but there’s always a breeze, especially if you head to the beach close by.

Austin is another recommendation. Low crime rate, lots of job opportunities, decent drivers (not as bad as Dallas anyway).

Are you open to the west coast? Portland is pretty peaceful and very safe.
Of course traffics issue correlates directly to the size of the city...no brainer. Moving to a larger metro only means traffic and crazy drivers intensify. Here's the catch about the "more" to do thing. There are more things to do in larger metros but there'll still be access problems having to design plans around traffic which diminishes the value in my opinion. At least in my experiences.

RDU is a sizeable growing metro with quite a bit of diversity and cultural activities. My advice would be to stay put and grow your social circle. Even relocating to Charlotte, Atlanta, Dallas, etc...after a while you'll be in the same boat, however, a slightly larger pond. Bored and tired of the same things. That can only be replaced with social circles, hobbies, etc.

Old 07-13-2020, 10:42 AM

1,543 posts, read 1,534,131 times
Sounds like traffic is your biggest concern. Charlotte has a growing light-rail system that is new, safe, and clean. You can travel from Pineville to Uptown Charlotte on one line, and from Uptown to the UNCC, University area in NE Charlotte. Depending on job and house/apartment, that would minimize the use of a car. Plans are in works to extend the line in West Charlotte to Gaston County.

Atlanta has Marta and is a good rail system too. You can ride all over metro Atlanta. Don't know about Dallas.
As far as weather, heat is heat. It's hot in North Carolina and Texas in the summer. Good luck...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.