Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2020, 11:11 AM

8,489 posts, read 8,771,754 times

Advertisements

Yes Oregon is pretty liberal and probably becomes more so. But in last Presidential election it was 50% Democratic, 39% Republican, 11% other. So there Republicans / conservatives. They have had better luck with US Senate / House races than state races.

For more climate details, use pages like. this one https://wrcc.dri.edu/cgi-bin/cliMAIN.pl?id1380
and click deeper pages off the left menu, like the general climate tables for temperature and precipitation to see frequency of high / low temps, precipitation by amounts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2020, 11:15 AM

197 posts, read 204,186 times
Yeah i have noticed that liberals have really good taste in geography......socially conservative cities are nearly never considered “trendy” or considered to have a very thriving base of “knowledge economy” jobs.

Old 06-16-2020, 11:20 AM

If trendy means warm and / or near ocean or if cold near skiing then yeah. Same generally with big and with universities. Relatively prosperous can go both ways but generally goes progressive in a lot of cities / states. When it is resource based, it usually goes conservative.

I actually find a lot of my favorite locations in west are more conservative than I'd prefer. But I like smaller places, less fancy or non-resort, often desert as well as mountain adjacent.

Old 06-16-2020, 11:37 AM

3,338 posts, read 6,895,438 times
Baker City or La Grande, Oregon might be some options, or even Pendleton on the other side of The Blues. These three locations are not right in a forest, but within eye sight of forests and are on the conservative side of the spectrum.

Moscow, Idaho is another option surrounded by forests and the green Palouse, but it is a liberal university town in a scenic location. Boise (city limits) is liberal and almost solidly Democrat with a Dem city counsel and mayor, and attracting a lot of liberal millennials from the West Coast which is fueling the record influx and growth, so if you look at Idaho you would want to look at some of the smaller cities. There are a lot of towns in Idaho that are in evergreen forests, but they will have cold and harsh winters.

How large or small of a city or town are you comfortable living in? (job market, amenities, etc.)

Old 06-17-2020, 06:23 AM

130 posts, read 213,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NW Crow View Post
Yes Oregon is pretty liberal and probably becomes more so. But in last Presidential election it was 50% Democratic, 39% Republican, 11% other. So there Republicans / conservatives. They have had better luck with US Senate / House races than state races.

For more climate details, use pages like. this one https://wrcc.dri.edu/cgi-bin/cliMAIN.pl?id1380
and click deeper pages off the left menu, like the general climate tables for temperature and precipitation to see frequency of high / low temps, precipitation by amounts.

Thank you, I will look at this climate page, I really don't like it when they average it, because it really doesn't seem to capture those places that are over a 100 for days. If you really want to know what you are getting into......

Old 06-17-2020, 06:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syringaloid View Post
Baker City or La Grande, Oregon might be some options, or even Pendleton on the other side of The Blues. These three locations are not right in a forest, but within eye sight of forests and are on the conservative side of the spectrum.

Moscow, Idaho is another option surrounded by forests and the green Palouse, but it is a liberal university town in a scenic location. Boise (city limits) is liberal and almost solidly Democrat with a Dem city counsel and mayor, and attracting a lot of liberal millennials from the West Coast which is fueling the record influx and growth, so if you look at Idaho you would want to look at some of the smaller cities. There are a lot of towns in Idaho that are in evergreen forests, but they will have cold and harsh winters.

How large or small of a city or town are you comfortable living in? (job market, amenities, etc.)
Outside of a city with around 75,000 would be good. Has all the amenities without too many people.

The Front Range is getting so bad that the air quality is terrible now, which was not an issue for the last 20 + years that I have lived here. Everyone around here is "feeling it".

It doesn't have to be in the mountains, hills are great too. Really like the beach more than the mountains honestly. But want land for animals.

Old 06-17-2020, 07:47 AM

9,358 posts, read 14,085,892 times
Perhaps writing here what are the liberal issues you want to avoid would be helpful. These days the terms liberal and conservative mean really different things to different people once you get into the details.

For example both liberals and conservatives can have the same religion. Both can be polluters. Both can have strong opinions or be oblivious except to their own little world. So what really are you trying to find?

Old 08-28-2020, 11:29 AM

Other suggestions: Cookeville TN, Bowling Green KY, Clemson SC and Auburn Alabama. Maybe Carson City NV. Bryan / College Station TX or possibly San Angelo TX.

Does the OP in fact want 75k just in the city (as stated) or in the metro area? Different sets of places for each depending on how firm the size preference.

Last edited by NW Crow; 08-28-2020 at 11:50 AM..

Old 08-28-2020, 12:53 PM

6,786 posts, read 4,224,158 times
You're going to get dry and hot (Arizona), dry and cold (Idaho etc.), wet and hot (Southeast) or wet and cold (Northern Maine for instance). The medium of 'a bit green, a bit warm, but not hot, also never really cold' is basically the Pacific Coast and the urban parts of it are all liberal pretty much and even more expensive than Colorado.

I think something in the Appalachian Mts might be your best compromise..they're definitely god-fearing and the altitude makes it cooler than in the low-lying parts of the South. It's still humid though, everything from about Abilene, TX eastwards in this country is humid.

Old 08-31-2020, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veritas Vincit View Post
You're going to get dry and hot (Arizona), dry and cold (Idaho etc.), wet and hot (Southeast) or wet and cold (Northern Maine for instance). The medium of 'a bit green, a bit warm, but not hot, also never really cold' is basically the Pacific Coast and the urban parts of it are all liberal pretty much and even more expensive than Colorado.

I think something in the Appalachian Mts might be your best compromise..they're definitely god-fearing and the altitude makes it cooler than in the low-lying parts of the South. It's still humid though, everything from about Abilene, TX eastwards in this country is humid.

Its basically pick your poison. Or be rich enough to snow bird. With kids and pets that makes it a little hard.
I don't mind a little humidity just not oppressive where you are stuck inside, that is not a way to live as far as I am concerned. If it is going to be super hot in the summer I am hoping you can make it up on the other end (winter).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.