Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2020, 05:10 PM

55 posts, read 48,015 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by saranshay View Post
Can't stand the liberal politics/governors choices and the influx of people have turned our air quality terrible and the housing market..well no one can afford it.

I have been looking for a place that isn't the desert (like a little green) but not so humid you can't stand it. I would like to be able to be outside and do stuff with my animals. Somewhere with shorter winters

I would love to hear from people that have recently lived in the Front Range of Colorado and have moved elsewhere.

Thanks in advance!

Hi Saranshay,

I am so glad that you wrote. We are also considering flight out of CO, due to many of the same reasons (we've been in Denver for 17 years). The only thing that we may not have in common as much, is our view of winter. We're actually hoping to find a place that has a "real" winter, meaning at least 10" of snow a year.

For you guys, have you considered Greenvile/Simpsonville, SC? My sister lives there, and I have visited quite a bit. I think that it would check a lot of your boxes (if not all of them). I'd love to hear what cities you DID visit in the Carolina's and what you thought of them! Maybe we can compare notes, and help each other out! Right now, we are considering Morgantown, WV, parts of Missouri, Pittsburgh, and Iowa.

All the best to you!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2020, 07:12 PM

3,950 posts, read 3,002,363 times
Oklahoma, New Mexico, North/Central/Panhandle Texas, and even rural/small town Colorado.

Old 10-05-2020, 08:03 AM

9,469 posts, read 10,797,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NW Crow View Post
Other suggestions: Cookeville TN, Bowling Green KY, Clemson SC and Auburn Alabama. Maybe Carson City NV. Bryan / College Station TX or possibly San Angelo TX.

Does the OP in fact want 75k just in the city (as stated) or in the metro area? Different sets of places for each depending on how firm the size preference.
Tennessee, Alabama, South Carolina......lots of heat and humidity.

The only place in the south with an easier summer and the winter the OP is looking for is the high elevations of North Carolina. (Most of Tennessee high elevation is National Forest). There are many communities in western N.C. that do sit quite high. Be careful around Asheville however if liberals are a problem for you. Asheville is a nice place to visit but there are more liberals there than anywhere else in the south.

Old 11-17-2020, 02:34 PM

130 posts, read 213,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoradoGal74 View Post
Hi Saranshay,

I am so glad that you wrote. We are also considering flight out of CO, due to many of the same reasons (we've been in Denver for 17 years). The only thing that we may not have in common as much, is our view of winter. We're actually hoping to find a place that has a "real" winter, meaning at least 10" of snow a year.

For you guys, have you considered Greenvile/Simpsonville, SC? My sister lives there, and I have visited quite a bit. I think that it would check a lot of your boxes (if not all of them). I'd love to hear what cities you DID visit in the Carolina's and what you thought of them! Maybe we can compare notes, and help each other out! Right now, we are considering Morgantown, WV, parts of Missouri, Pittsburgh, and Iowa.

All the best to you!!

I have visited Charlotte, NC and Charleston, SC. I am from Iowa, if you want snow, you will get snow! I lived by the Iowa/Nebraska border and it can be very pretty there. Green and rolling hills. But it is humid!

My parents are considering Montana. its too cold for me, so that is out of the question. I am leaning towards the Carolinas. I need to visit in the winter and see how cold it really gets. I like the fact that Charlotte is only 3 hours away from the beach.

Old 11-17-2020, 03:26 PM

8,495 posts, read 8,777,706 times
Asheville gets lows of 25-35 for 5 months per year and the highs from Nov. thru March tend to be 50 to low 60s. Some NC mountains spots higher up will be colder.

Charlotte and other Piedmont locations will have lows in low to mid 30s for only about 3 months.

The coast will be a good deal warmer in winter.

Old 11-17-2020, 05:04 PM

12,824 posts, read 9,541,088 times
OP, Texas is the answer to your question. Conservative, Christian, some green, short winters

Old 11-18-2020, 07:11 AM

210 posts, read 199,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saranshay View Post
Can't stand the liberal politics/governors choices and the influx of people have turned our air quality terrible and the housing market..well no one can afford it.

I have been looking for a place that isn't the desert (like a little green) but not so humid you can't stand it. I would like to be able to be outside and do stuff with my animals. Somewhere with shorter winters

I would love to hear from people that have recently lived in the Front Range of Colorado and have moved elsewhere.

Thanks in advance!
Worried about air quality but a conservative. Don’t most conservatives deny climate change?
Am I the only one catching this oxymoron?

Just about any city in NC is going to liberal, especially Charlotte, Raleigh, and Asheville

Sounds like you want SC

Old 11-18-2020, 10:54 AM

13,966 posts, read 24,150,335 times
The OP doesn't want humid. That means going east of the Plains is likely a deal breaker. I still say Utah is likely the best combo. Idaho could work, but that's further north and the OP is looking for a bit milder. I suppose that the OP could move south, but stay in CO by going to Colorado Springs?

Last edited by rnc2mbfl; 11-18-2020 at 11:55 AM..

Old 11-18-2020, 11:38 AM

8,603 posts, read 14,881,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnc2mbfl View Post
The OP doesn't want humid. That means going east east the Plains is likely a deal breaker. I still say Utah is likely the best combo. Idaho could work, but that's further north and the OP is looking for a bit milder. I suppose that the OP could move south, but stay in CO by going to Colorado Springs?
OP hasn't come right out and said it, but based on posts she's made, I suspect she's fairly religiously conservative and is not happy with the fact that Colorado has an openly-gay governor. Even if they moved someplace more conservative like Colorado Springs or the Western Slope (where a dimwit, hard-right QAnon nutjob just got elected to congress), they still wouldn't be happy.

I agree with you. If I were someone moving from the Front Range and wanting to avoid humidity, I wouldn't move anywhere in the southeast. Even if "<insert inland city here> isn't as humid as the Gulf Coast," it will be noticeably more humid than Fort Collins.

Utah might work if they're ok living someplace like Provo. It's arch-conservative and super religious (Mormon), but they're an interracial family and Utah is like 85% non-Hispanic white. Outside of SLC, side-eye from the locals could be a problem.

Maybe Tulsa? It's right on the edge of the humid subtropical/humid continental climate zone.

Lubbock isn't a terrible choice if they're willing to compromise on the whole greenery requirement. Definitely milder than Fort Collins and not very humid, but very much the Southern Plains.

Old 11-18-2020, 12:54 PM

210 posts, read 199,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluescreen73 View Post
OP hasn't come right out and said it, but based on posts she's made, I suspect she's fairly religiously conservative and is not happy with the fact that Colorado has an openly-gay governor. Even if they moved someplace more conservative like Colorado Springs or the Western Slope (where a dimwit, hard-right QAnon nutjob just got elected to congress), they still wouldn't be happy.

I agree with you. If I were someone moving from the Front Range and wanting to avoid humidity, I wouldn't move anywhere in the southeast. Even if "<insert inland city here> isn't as humid as the Gulf Coast," it will be noticeably more humid than Fort Collins.

Utah might work if they're ok living someplace like Provo. It's arch-conservative and super religious (Mormon), but they're an interracial family and Utah is like 85% non-Hispanic white. Outside of SLC, side-eye from the locals could be a problem.

Maybe Tulsa? It's right on the edge of the humid subtropical/humid continental climate zone.

Lubbock isn't a terrible choice if they're willing to compromise on the whole greenery requirement. Definitely milder than Fort Collins and not very humid, but very much the Southern Plains.
OP is going to have essentially a hard time living anywhere based on the criteria provided.

It sounds like either suck it up for Colorado Springs, maybe Utah, otherwise deal with the fact the world isn't an overly religious conservative hellhole.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.