Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2020, 01:29 AM

9,818 posts, read 7,926,133 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCrest182 View Post
This seems like more of an old fashioned thing than a regional thing, but maybe I'm wrong.
It's a combination of both. In certain situations with certain people, it's still common.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2020, 08:48 AM

21,629 posts, read 12,746,938 times
Seem like a Deep South/south central thing..

Ok TX AR MS LA AL, might be a thing in southern Kansas too

Old 06-13-2020, 09:41 AM

37,881 posts, read 41,926,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
Seem like a Deep South/south central thing..

Ok TX AR MS LA AL, might be a thing in southern Kansas too
It's definitely a thing in the Carolinas and Georgia as well. For Black folks in general, a similar gesture is addressing elders (65ish and up) as Mr./Ms. So-and-so.

Old 06-13-2020, 01:26 PM

21,629 posts, read 12,746,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
It's definitely a thing in the Carolinas and Georgia as well. For Black folks in general, a similar gesture is addressing elders (65ish and up) as Mr./Ms. So-and-so.
Yea I know “Mr. and Mrs.” that’s normal. T I never hear sir and ma’am up North. Or DMV

Old 06-13-2020, 03:22 PM

1,228 posts, read 797,219 times
I heard it frequently growing up in Georgia. I never said it with my parents, but with my friends’ parents who had transplanted into the Atlanta metro from smaller towns and cities around the Deep South. I heard it in Texas, but don’t recall it much in Louisiana (at least not New Orleans). I do still occasionally hear it in North Carolina. My wife, a California transplant, still gets apoplectic when someone calls her Ma’am— she thinks folks are trying to insult her, despite me constantly explaining they were actually trying to be polite and respectful.

Old 06-13-2020, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
Yea I know “Mr. and Mrs.” that’s normal. T I never hear sir and ma’am up North. Or DMV
For us it's normal. Few things get under my skin than younger folks talking to their elders like they are their peers.

Old 06-13-2020, 05:23 PM

2,655 posts, read 2,096,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
For us it's normal. Few things get under my skin than younger folks talking to their elders like they are their peers.
Precisely. It's a southern theme of respect. I have to remind that to some people who takes it as a derogatory slander towards older age/senority.

Old 06-13-2020, 06:20 PM

3,575 posts, read 3,074,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharif662 View Post
Precisely. It's a southern theme of respect. I have to remind that to some people who takes it as a derogatory slander towards older age/senority.
To some Northern ears use of "sir" or "ma'am" almost falls along the same line as clicking your heels and saluting someone - it is less a gesture of "respect" than a deference to authority. When the person being "saluted" is not a true authority figure, then use of these words sometimes becomes more a form of sarcasm or antagonism, either purposefully given or in how it is received.

"Mister," "Miss (or Mizz)," "officer," "please," and "thank you" work very well as a form of mutual respect without demeaning oneself or elevating another to an assumed level of higher authority.

As we are in America, many have also left the terminology of British royalty ("Sir"), as well as the French "Madame," behind.

Old 06-13-2020, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketSci View Post
To some Northern ears use of "sir" or "ma'am" almost falls along the same line as clicking your heels and saluting someone - it is less a gesture of "respect" than a deference to authority. When the person being "saluted" is not a true authority figure, then use of these words sometimes becomes more a form of sarcasm or antagonism, either purposefully given or in how it is received.
Oh this doesn't smack of cultural superiority at all.

Quote:
"Mister," "Miss (or Mizz)," "officer," "please," and "thank you" work very well as a form of mutual respect without demeaning oneself or elevating another to an assumed level of higher authority.
"Please" and "thank you" aren't ways to address individuals. And typically, well-meaning people who prefer to be addressed in other ways will make that known and that settles that issue. Your perception of the usage of "sir" and "ma'am" as some bizarre exercise in self-deprecation is just flat-out weird to me.

Quote:
As we are in America, many have also left the terminology of British royalty ("Sir"), as well as the French "Madame," behind.
The joints and sockets in your arms must be in tatters with such reaching.

Old 06-13-2020, 08:53 PM

124 posts, read 558,076 times
As a kid growing up in rural N Carolina during the 70s and 80s, if I didn't say yes (no) sir mam to my mom or dad or any elder person, you ran the risk of getting your butt whipped.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.