Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2020, 11:40 AM

8,605 posts, read 14,891,340 times

Advertisements

Another vote for Rapid City. I love the Black Hills. Too bad that area doesn't have a sizable IT presence. I'd consider moving there if it did.

Cheyenne is a possibility. It's technically on the plains, but it's within an hour of the Laramie Mountains. Vedauwoo is an awesome climbing area. It's only a few hours from the Black Hills and 7 or 8 hours from Yellowstone. Denver is 90ish minutes south down I-25 if you need your big city fix.

Casper could work, too. It's a little more isolated than Cheyenne, but it's a big energy town.

A few out-there recommendations:

Scottsbluff, Nebraska. It's a small city sandwiched between the Wildcat Hills to the south and the Pine Ridge Escarpment to the north. Cheyenne is the nearest big city, and Denver is the nearest major metro area.

Chadron, Nebraska. An hour or so north-northeast of Scottsbluff just south of the South Dakota border. Terrain in the area looks more like the Black Hills than the plains. It's only an hour or so from the Black Hills. Rapid City is the closest big city.

Yankton, South Dakota. Right on the Nebraska/South Dakota border and the mighty Missouri River.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2020, 11:25 PM

61 posts, read 95,196 times
Payson, AZ checks off your boxes.

Old 07-05-2020, 08:48 AM

138 posts, read 156,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by C24L View Post
I am not centrist moderate Republican.so i would prefer somewhere where it was further to the right but maybe it wouldnt be too different that where i live now.I would just live there during the summers and i would rent.I couldnt handle anywhere in the Dakotas in the winter since the vast majority of Texas is too cold for me lol.Thanks for the pointers about taxes and the 2A.i would prefer somewhere close to being as conservative as Oklahoma or MS or Wyoming or the Deep South.I am glad that its very good for raising a family since I am want kids of my own.
Not sure if you ever been to wyoming but from a socially conservative standpoint, it's well to the left of the Dakotas. I take it you are a social conservative, if that is the case you are best off avoiding western states outside the eastern portion of NM. If you want really socially conservative you will need to stick with the south. Once you move away from the south, voters are generally less socially conservative unless you are in certain pockets like NW corner of IA. The rural Midwest, especially the southern half will be the next socially conservative area outside the south.

Old 07-05-2020, 12:02 PM

1,049 posts, read 653,746 times
Wyoming is more libertarian in nature. Now it should be noted that Utah (outside of Salt Lake City and Park City) and Eastern Idaho are very socially conservative (Mormon Belt).

That is one reason why I suggest Eastern Oklahoma close to the plains, close to mountainous areas, and to be honest at least culturally it is part of the South.

Old 07-09-2020, 07:57 PM

23,688 posts, read 9,383,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluescreen73 View Post
Another vote for Rapid City. I love the Black Hills. Too bad that area doesn't have a sizable IT presence. I'd consider moving there if it did.

Cheyenne is a possibility. It's technically on the plains, but it's within an hour of the Laramie Mountains. Vedauwoo is an awesome climbing area. It's only a few hours from the Black Hills and 7 or 8 hours from Yellowstone. Denver is 90ish minutes south down I-25 if you need your big city fix.

Casper could work, too. It's a little more isolated than Cheyenne, but it's a big energy town.

A few out-there recommendations:

Scottsbluff, Nebraska. It's a small city sandwiched between the Wildcat Hills to the south and the Pine Ridge Escarpment to the north. Cheyenne is the nearest big city, and Denver is the nearest major metro area.

Chadron, Nebraska. An hour or so north-northeast of Scottsbluff just south of the South Dakota border. Terrain in the area looks more like the Black Hills than the plains. It's only an hour or so from the Black Hills. Rapid City is the closest big city.

Yankton, South Dakota. Right on the Nebraska/South Dakota border and the mighty Missouri River.
Thannks for the Nebraska suggestions but Nebraska has too high of taxes for me.

Old 07-09-2020, 07:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComparedToWhere View Post
Payson, AZ checks off your boxes.
I would rather live in Phoenix or Yuma or Scottsdale if i were to live in Arizona.

Old 07-09-2020, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fivenine View Post
Wyoming is more libertarian in nature. Now it should be noted that Utah (outside of Salt Lake City and Park City) and Eastern Idaho are very socially conservative (Mormon Belt).

That is one reason why I suggest Eastern Oklahoma close to the plains, close to mountainous areas, and to be honest at least culturally it is part of the South.
well I would rather live part-time in Wyoming than Utah or Idaho but thats just me.I am a conservative libertarian.I am social conservative on some things and social liberal on others.

Old 07-09-2020, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by homeschooldad1 View Post
Not sure if you ever been to wyoming but from a socially conservative standpoint, it's well to the left of the Dakotas. I take it you are a social conservative, if that is the case you are best off avoiding western states outside the eastern portion of NM. If you want really socially conservative you will need to stick with the south. Once you move away from the south, voters are generally less socially conservative unless you are in certain pockets like NW corner of IA. The rural Midwest, especially the southern half will be the next socially conservative area outside the south.
I have thought about New Mexico but i dont know if its gun friendly for my tastes to live there.

Old 07-09-2020, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie gein View Post
A Texas Longhorn fan!!! I take back every nice thing I ever said about you.

Seriously though, there are a lot of Texas Longhorn fans in Oklahoma. They have Longhorn fan clubs in OKC and Tulsa. I routinely see Longhorns on cars and on hats on people. As our hispanic population grows it seems like most of them are Texas Longhorn fans.

Four of the more famous Texas Longhorn fans in OKlahoma....

One guy in Norman had a big Oldsmobile he painted burnt Orange and put a Big spelled out "Texas Longhorns" on the side and had horns on the front of the car and a painted on horns decal on the trunk. He proudly cruised around Norman and people looked in amazement.

Another guy in Bartlesville, OK is famous for putting a Longhorn tag on the front of his Sheriff vehicle. I had heard about him because people didn't think it was right that he put it on a state Vehicle. Turns out that he has a long standing bet with the Sheriff. When OU wins he has to put an OU tag on. When Texas wins he gets to put a Longhorn tag on. Believe it or not, I was in Bartlesville one time and I actually SAW him. It was early 2014 and it had the Longhorn tag on because they had won in 2013.

There was a restaurant named Harry's Oyster Bar in OKC. Every October he would put "Hook 'em Horns" on his marquee until after the game was over. He finally closed down.

Finally, the Chief of Police in Norman for a number of years was a Texas grad and unabashed Longhorn fan. If any OU football player got in trouble he got the blame. LOL.

I'd also like to note that one of our Senators (James Lankford) is a Texas grad and fan. He even has orange hair to boot.

If you came to Oklahoma you would be outnumbered but you certainly wouldn't be alone.
lol I am a little surpised that there's a lot of us in Oklahoma.haha

Old 07-09-2020, 09:50 PM

8,975 posts, read 10,212,799 times
No offense but if Michigan and Wisconsin have gun laws you find too restrictive it does raise some questions.

That being said, Montana, Idaho, rural Colorado or Utah may fit the bill. The thing is, when most people “summer” in a certain area it’s because they want milder weather than the places they are wintering in. It’s not going to be that much better in the plains states. You’re almost better off in Texas year round.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.