Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2020, 10:58 AM

93,338 posts, read 123,972,828 times

Advertisements

If you come back to NY, look at cities Upstate. That way, the COL is lower and the cases aren’t as high. NY has had steep decline in cases anyway and there seems to always be a need for nurses.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2020, 04:19 PM

606 posts, read 419,615 times
I've lived upstate when I was going to Job Corps. The wages are too low relative to the taxes and it's too cold and too snowy. However the facilities weren't as understaffed and the fellow nurses and CNAs that I did clinicals at were very nice compared to nyc. I wonder if things will be different next year though. Aside from that it's very pretty up there.

Old 06-16-2020, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montezia View Post
I've lived upstate when I was going to Job Corps. The wages are too low relative to the taxes and it's too cold and too snowy. However the facilities weren't as understaffed and the fellow nurses and CNAs that I did clinicals at were very nice compared to nyc. I wonder if things will be different next year though. Aside from that it's very pretty up there.
Were you in Oneonta, which has a Job Corps facility is nearby or one of the bigger cities?

Housing is the key with Upstate, as it is on par with or even lower the national average.

Then, there is this list, which includes a few Upstate areas: https://www.businessinsider.com/best...nne-wyoming-11

Old 06-16-2020, 07:03 PM

No I went to Cassadaga. That's where they had the LPN program. But there were people there that transferred from Oneonta. Actually people came from around the country to go to the program. It was that competitive.

Thanks for the list. I'll check it out.

Old 06-16-2020, 07:57 PM

8,864 posts, read 6,869,333 times
So you like Seattle, and the state is less likely to re-do shutdowns (or go on a death spree) because we're being responsible today. It sounds like you're in the right place!

PS, King County just applied for Phase 2 reopening (vs. the "1.5" halfway status today), and those things tend to turn around in a few days. We can do this because we didn't jump the gun and the numbers have improved.

Old 06-17-2020, 03:26 AM

I definitely like Seattle. I'll admit I miss NYC but there's no way in heck I'd move back there any time soon especially with the pandemic, increasing crime and cost of housing. To me Seattle has fairly reasonable housing esp on my salary. I'm not rich but I've learned to live well within my means here. I've met a ton of fellow southerners here which I couldn't say back in nyc.

I wasn't aware of the phase 2 reopening. When do you think the DMV will reopen? The budget cuts are one thing that scares me. I also worry about the number of businesses closing.

Old 06-17-2020, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montezia View Post
No I went to Cassadaga. That's where they had the LPN program. But there were people there that transferred from Oneonta. Actually people came from around the country to go to the program. It was that competitive.

Thanks for the list. I'll check it out.
Ok, that may explain it, as that is a pretty rural area of the state. The Upstate areas on that list would be different. Even Ithaca, which is smaller, is a pretty diverse small city with a couple of colleges.

Old 06-17-2020, 11:23 AM

8,864 posts, read 6,869,333 times
I have no idea about the DMV. I redid my driver's license (not that I drive) by mail.

King County might be in Phase 2 by the weekend, based on normal schedules for these things.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.