Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2020, 02:21 PM

1 posts, read 870 times

Advertisements

Hi!

I'm looking into moving within the next 1-2 years to a warmer state. I'm in my mid 20s and have lived in Ohio my entire life (I can't take the Winters anymore).

A few details about myself: Single male, Christian, politically conservative. I'm looking for a low cost of living, and I would prefer to live in a rural or small town community that is around an hour or less drive of a medium to larger city. Anywhere that has nice natural scenery is also a plus. I won't go into too many details about my career, but I will say that that I have a stable income and I'm able to work from anywhere. Four states in particular that have drawn my interest: Texas, Oklahoma, Florida, and Arizona. However, I am certainly open to more options.

Thanks for the recommendations!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2020, 03:04 PM

13,354 posts, read 39,963,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRobot2000 View Post
Hi!

I'm looking into moving within the next 1-2 years to a warmer state. I'm in my mid 20s and have lived in Ohio my entire life (I can't take the Winters anymore).

A few details about myself: Single male, Christian, politically conservative. I'm looking for a low cost of living, and I would prefer to live in a rural or small town community that is around an hour or less drive of a medium to larger city. Anywhere that has nice natural scenery is also a plus. I won't go into too many details about my career, but I will say that that I have a stable income and I'm able to work from anywhere. Four states in particular that have drawn my interest: Texas, Oklahoma, Florida, and Arizona. However, I am certainly open to more options.

Thanks for the recommendations!
Check out Cookeville, Tennessee.

It definitely meets all of your criteria. It's a very charming small town (35,000) an hour east of Nashville. It's in a beautiful setting with 100+ waterfalls and 1200 miles of lake shoreline within 40 minutes of town. It's got four very distinct seasons with a longer summer than winter. Average snowfall is like 7 inches a year, but that's spread out over 3-4 snowfalls where the snow is gone in a day or two. It's a fast-growing town with things most towns its size don't have: professional symphony, 200+ restaurants (over half are locally owned, non chains), museums, NCAA sports, free concerts, lots of festivals. Tennessee is a very low tax state, and the cost of living in Cookeville is very reasonable.

IMPORTANT READING:
Terms of Service

---
its - possession
it's - contraction of it is
your - possession
you're - contraction of you are
their - possession
they're - contraction of they are
there - referring to a place
loose - opposite of tight
lose - opposite of win
who's - contraction of who is
whose - possession
alot - NOT A WORD

Old 06-17-2020, 03:33 PM

8,302 posts, read 5,707,175 times
Lebanon, TN
Newnan, GA
Conroe, TX
Rock Hill, SC

Old 06-17-2020, 04:44 PM

8,498 posts, read 8,790,853 times
Cottonwood / Camp Verde AZ
Athens or Seguin or Lockhart TX. Or outside Huntsville.
Maybe Shawnee or Purcell OK. Or possibly Perry or Cushing.

As always, it helps to define small town population range. Some use it for 100k city. Some mean under 5k. Or somewhere in between. Don't know unless you say.

Other possibilities:

Radford / Christiansburg VA

Sewanee TN

Russellville / Franklin KY (southwest of Bowling Green). Or Danville. Elizabethtown. Shelbyville. Murray.

Last edited by NW Crow; 06-17-2020 at 04:59 PM..

Old 06-19-2020, 12:18 AM

30,976 posts, read 21,636,949 times
Durant is the fastest growing small town in Oklahoma not part of an Oklahoma metro area. It may be not be too far from Dallas. Since it's in the far south part of Oklahoma, its winters won't be as cold as the rest of the state.

Last edited by JMT; 06-19-2020 at 08:57 AM.. Reason: Leave me out of this.

Old 06-19-2020, 08:55 AM

3,715 posts, read 3,701,850 times
Elijay, GA

Old 06-19-2020, 07:54 PM

5,743 posts, read 3,601,915 times
Just a tip -- as a single, you will feel pretty lonely in a town like that. All the other singles have left.

Old 06-19-2020, 08:19 PM

1,228 posts, read 797,833 times
Upstate South Carolina.

Old 06-19-2020, 10:15 PM

1,726 posts, read 1,722,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaleighSentinel View Post
Upstate South Carolina.
South Carolina has bad roads and low wages.

Old 06-19-2020, 10:49 PM

30,976 posts, read 21,636,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NW Crow View Post
Cottonwood / Camp Verde AZ
Athens or Seguin or Lockhart TX. Or outside Huntsville.
Maybe Shawnee or Purcell OK. Or possibly Perry or Cushing.
I would certainly advise against Perry or Cushing, since those two towns have been on the decline population wise. In Perry, it's so bad that its Wal-Mart had to close. On the other hand, Shawnee isn't that way, is bigger, and isn't too far from Oklahoma City. Purcell isn't a bad idea, but Shawnee is better. A downside for any place mentioned, though, is lack of hilly scenery.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.