Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2022, 05:13 AM

10,750 posts, read 23,822,981 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluescreen73 View Post
More than Denver is debatable, but easier access is not. SLC is closer to the Wasatch Mountains than Denver is to the foothills. Now, if you're living in a western burb of Denver and not downtown, SLC's advantage dwindles (except for skiing).

FWIW, Utah's mountains play second fiddle to its red rock canyons and desert landscape. IMNSHO Colorado's mountains are better than Utah's.
I agree with this, but I've always found the best mountain ranges where Colorado really shines are further away from Denver. Anywhere from three/four to six hours away, like the the Maroon Bells, Independence Pass, Sangre de Cristos, and San Juans. I mean the Front Ranges and RMNP have a lot of great mountain scenery and activity. But the "Oh my God!" kind of mountain scenery that the Rockies are known for are much further out from the city and metro. The San Juan's are the most scenic and the best mountain towns IMNSHO are there as well (Durango, Silverton, Ouray, Telluride), but that's about a six hour drive from Denver.

Last edited by Champ le monstre du lac; 11-12-2022 at 05:22 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2022, 08:52 PM

860 posts, read 697,914 times
Washington DC definitely

Very naturey with a large array of wildlife and parks.

In the district, I've seen Foxes, Possums, Raccoons, Deer, Hawks, and all sorts.

I have also seen Otters, Beavers, and Muskrats in marshy areas in the suburbs.

Old 11-14-2022, 12:26 AM

846 posts, read 682,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
Every city is "close" to "nature" i

Not many of the ones in Florida sadly. haha

Old 11-14-2022, 06:45 AM

146 posts, read 152,375 times
Part of the St. Louis area is in the Ozarks.

Old 11-15-2022, 02:13 AM

32,617 posts, read 77,614,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bellafinzi View Post
Syracuse N.Y. Metropolitan area ....Where the Appalachians, and Adirondack mountains meet the Great Lakes and the Finger Lakes. Tons of lakes, parks, hills, forests, waterfalls, beaches, coastlines, and trails.
Yes. Everyone forgets about Syracuse. Within an hour you can be in the Finger Lakes, Lake Ontario, or the Adirondacks. Slightly longer and you can be in the Catskills or the Poconos.

Old 11-15-2022, 09:28 AM

1,070 posts, read 789,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie gein View Post
What constitutes a "city"?

The eastern part of the US has lots of places that are in the "forest". There really aren't a lot of places in the west (outside of the west coast) that are actually IN the forest. Flagstaff, Coeur d'Alene are really the only two I can think of that are smack dab in the middle of forests.
Flagstaff is a great choice for in the forest yet not in the PNW.

Old 11-15-2022, 02:01 PM

1,255 posts, read 1,108,526 times
Albuquerque, Santa Fe, Taos, Ruidoso all in New Mexico. Many of the Colorado ski towns west of the front range. Rapid City, SD. All the bigger cities in Montana. Many Minnesota towns and cities, as well as Michigan, Wisconsin, and upstate New York. Most of the other New England cities and towns too.

Old 11-15-2022, 07:56 PM

467 posts, read 427,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Champ le monstre du lac View Post
I agree with this, but I've always found the best mountain ranges where Colorado really shines are further away from Denver. Anywhere from three/four to six hours away, like the the Maroon Bells, Independence Pass, Sangre de Cristos, and San Juans. I mean the Front Ranges and RMNP have a lot of great mountain scenery and activity. But the "Oh my God!" kind of mountain scenery that the Rockies are known for are much further out from the city and metro. The San Juan's are the most scenic and the best mountain towns IMNSHO are there as well (Durango, Silverton, Ouray, Telluride), but that's about a six hour drive from Denver.
What makes the San Juans the most scenic of the (sub)ranges, out of curiosity?

Old 11-15-2022, 09:19 PM

17,874 posts, read 15,947,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TinyDancer2020 View Post
What cities has close access to beautiful forests that are not in the PNW or California?
NYC is only an hour away from the Delaware Water Gap, and the Poconos, and a little further is the Catskills, and Hudson Valley or the Pine Barrens.

If you want to see critters, NYC is filled with coons, cats, rats, and NJ just across the Hudson River is filled with deer.

Old 11-15-2022, 10:31 PM

638 posts, read 349,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TarHeelTerritory View Post
What makes the San Juans the most scenic of the (sub)ranges, out of curiosity?
The San Juan’s are more rugged compared to most of the Colorado Rockies (which don’t have much topographical relief). They have greater vertical and are more comparable to the Caacades in WA State and Northern Rockies.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.