Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2020, 05:48 PM

1,049 posts, read 653,283 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Username_Guy View Post
Requirements: electricity, internet, no neighbors, and a store that's an hour away. If I could build a tarp shack without offending anyone, I would. I don't think that's tenable, so I'm looking to move in to some kind of wooden shack, or perhaps park an RV.

I'm looking for places in the US where this style of life is appreciated. I am 25, male, single. So far I have wasted my youth, and now I want to Get Away. I am currently living with my family on the west coast.

I don't have any money now, but when I do finally start to make money, it will be over the internet. For this reason, "the boonies" is not a suitable location. Also, I do not do drugs, and I don't want to live next to people who do.

I am aware that these kinds of properties can be found everywhere (often at cost), but I want to get a better feel for the landscape, and narrow down specific locations.

Additionally, areas with ticks are no good. I do not like the idea of Lyme's disease.

Sorry that this is a vague post. I'm trying to get an idea of a future I can strive for.
The no ticks situation would probably place you out West. The South, Lower Midwest, and Northeast are full of those stupid ticks.

You want to be in the sticks but if you stray too far away from a populated area the internet factor becomes a concern. So sticks that are close to a reasonably sized population center are the best bet. You also don't want to be around anything that is going to be near tourists because that increases the odds that you will be discovered.

Let's start by eliminating areas

What's Out:
- Anything east of US 287 or from Del Rio, TX to El Reno, OK to Valentine, NE to Bismarck, ND or points east
- Tourist heavy areas such as Southern Utah/Northern Arizona, the Black Hills/Badlands, the state of Colorado or at least most of it, and the areas in or around the Grand Teton's/Yellowstone
- California, Washington, and Oregon due to people and probably policies that may conflict with your style of life.
- Areas so far out in the bonnies that internet access is a problem like dead in the middle of Montana or Alaska with nothing for at least 1 hour in any direction will likely be out.

What Could Be In:

- The Nevada suggestion a previous poster supported
- West Texas and Western Oklahoma outside of the larger towns/cities. You may have the infrastructure because major oil companies need to communicate with their workers out here.
- Maybe some more rural areas in Idaho and North Dakota
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2020, 08:32 PM

1,842 posts, read 1,490,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Username_Guy View Post
Requirements: electricity, internet, no neighbors, and a store that's an hour away. If I could build a tarp shack without offending anyone, I would. I don't think that's tenable, so I'm looking to move in to some kind of wooden shack, or perhaps park an RV.

I'm looking for places in the US where this style of life is appreciated. I am 25, male, single. So far I have wasted my youth, and now I want to Get Away. I am currently living with my family on the west coast.

I don't have any money now, but when I do finally start to make money, it will be over the internet. For this reason, "the boonies" is not a suitable location. Also, I do not do drugs, and I don't want to live next to people who do.

I am aware that these kinds of properties can be found everywhere (often at cost), but I want to get a better feel for the landscape, and narrow down specific locations.

Additionally, areas with ticks are no good. I do not like the idea of Lyme's disease.

Sorry that this is a vague post. I'm trying to get an idea of a future I can strive for.
I'm 22 and I dreamed almost the same exact thing as you. I am currently moving to CA into my grandparents' house and CA is not my favorite place due to overpopulation and congestion. My dream was to move to WA or OR into a semi-rural area where I can buy some manufactured shack house for $100K or less (I actually appreciate that lol). I probably won't mind a septic tank too. If my grandparents in CA are not toxic like my parents and the family I have here in the East, then I probably would not mind living in CA until they die out.

WA and OR have cheap places although people say the entire West Coast is expensive. You can live in a manufactured home there for $100K or less in a semi-rural area while you enjoy the beautiful PNW weather and beauty. Look at Google Earth and you can see that there are areas where you will not have neighbors. One thing I hate about NJ and CA is that every empty piece of land gets filled in with a stupid condo or townhouse development that adds more congestion and traffic. Look for a neighborhood that is finished "growing", but that's hard to figure out unless you actually lived in that state.

Old 06-20-2020, 09:16 AM

6,321 posts, read 7,042,755 times
Move here. https://pocedc.org/live-work-play-in...reille-county/

I have a friend that is 35 miles out on a dirt road and has fiber to his house. This county is not for those that want to "dabble" in a rural lifestyle.

Winters are tough and your isolated enough to even getting a ambulance to your house will take at least an hour.

Old 06-22-2020, 02:28 PM

1,081 posts, read 548,710 times
Ticks carrying the bacterium, Borrelia burgdorferi, that causes Lyme disease are throughout the US. However, there are areas where the bacteria is less prevalent. This map might help you narrow your search.

https://www.lymedisease.org/clemson-tick-map/

I know a great "hermit" location but it's in the hot-zone for this bacterium. I have lived in the hot-zone for the last 48 years. So far, I (and my dogs) have avoided the disease. We just check ourselves after being out in nature and use appropriate repellent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.