Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2008, 03:39 PM

1,303 posts, read 2,082,014 times

Advertisements

I have to say atlanta I have never seen so many wealthy black people where i am from you dont see that too much
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2008, 03:40 PM

61,290 posts, read 87,087,136 times
i love chicago but i think i hear alot about detroit too.

Old 12-17-2008, 09:59 PM

1,605 posts, read 3,905,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kazoopilot View Post
I'm also black and I find this viewpoint very uninformed. I don't mean it as an insult, just an observation. First of all, most of what you state about "black culture" is stereotypical at best. Not all black Americans go to COGIC or AME churches, black barbers, or wear dreadlocks. Not all of us listen to Kanye West or Kirk Franklin. There isn't one "black culture." Black Americans share a myriad of different backgrounds and experiences, and have many different cultural traits.

My background: I live in Three Rivers, MI, a town that's about 10% black. It's your typical safe, sleepy, friendly small town. I've never been to a COGIC or AME church in my life, I get my hair cut at a standard (white) barbershop, I despise rap and hip-hop (though I do like some of Kirk Franklin's music), and I would never dream of wearing dreadlocks. I like rock music, country music, hockey, and winter sports. My church is non-denominational and 98% white. Most of my friends are white, though I have friends of all races and backgrounds. Even though I'm not originally from 3R, I feel perfectly at home here. I've never experienced racism or prejudice here.

Don't be afraid of other cultures, and remember that most people are NOT racist. At the end of the day, people are people.
To concur with this, in my experience, the places that I've been that has a high black population in poverty tends to have more prejudice non-blacks, and from a fact, DC, Dallas, and Atlanta definitely have a lot of successful blacks, but a lot more (noticeable) poorer blacks. Second, most "truly successful blacks" are usually at the envy and scorn in the eyes of most of the black community, dealing with constant bickering from their own of being "not black enough" and "acting white." Again, ATL, Dallas, and DC has a lot of bitter blacks who rile up to these more successful and educated blacks. These two factors overlap, resulting in a disliking of the "educated, successful, or non-stereotypical" black person from all angles.

So to revise my perspective, there are blacks who want to have that "communal" feeling, but there are others who either enjoy things that are opposite of what is seen as "black things" or are so tired of dealing with strife from their own so-called people that they would rather want to live in a place where whites and others can see them for their personality (or at least for their finances and education) and without excessive strife from their own. I personally fit into both of these categories.

And for that, I find places like Seattle, Raleigh, Houston, and Charlotte as good cities to check out for successful and educated blacks, but also places such as Minneapolis, Las Vegas, Denver, Phoenix, Columbus OH, Austin TX, Portland OR, Sacramento CA, Tampa FL, and other cities a consideration.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Jarrett View Post
I have seen some threads started on this forum by Black people who live in cities like Phoenix and Reno complain about how they think their city needs more Black people because they don't think there is enough of them there and how they feel racially isolated because of this. So a very large number of Black people do not feel comfortable at all living in cities where their percentage of the population is only in the single digits.
Not to be too snippy, but these are probably the same people who would love to live in a all-black middle-upper class neighborhood. I would understand the racial isolation they faced if they were in places like Arkansas and West Virginia, but in many of these places out West, most non-blacks tend to be more open-minded to hanging out and associate with blacks, so I would guess it's more self-induced than anything else.

Quote:
Originally Posted by beeneverywheretwice View Post
As a black person, I'd say Europe. I went to college in Rome and live there now part-time. There you won't have to deal with all the racism that permeates American society. To Europeans you'll just be an "American Boy". Now, the anti-U.S. sentiment is a whole other story. LOL.
Well, that's the ultimate answer, along w/ any major Canadian city. As for the Anti-American sentiment, that will start to die down when Bush leaves, and besides, I assume it's way easier to deal with that than racial prejudice.

Last edited by Do a Barrel Roll; 12-17-2008 at 10:10 PM..

Old 12-17-2008, 10:22 PM

8,180 posts, read 14,782,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Fairfaxian View Post
Not to be too snippy, but these are probably the same people who would love to live in a all-black middle-upper class neighborhood. I would understand the racial isolation they faced if they were in places like Arkansas and West Virginia, but in many of these places out West, most non-blacks tend to be more open-minded to hanging out and associate with blacks, so I would guess it's more self-induced than anything else.
I'd say it's more historical and cultural. Western states don't have a history of racial strife like Southern states have. But even then, I've read stories where some Blacks felt uncomfortable being viewed as peculiar oddities in Western states (e.g., Utah).

Old 12-18-2008, 04:50 PM

5,347 posts, read 10,108,413 times
Fairfax,

Great way to generalize a whole race of people! Keep up the good work. I love it when non blacks explain how it is to be black.

Old 12-18-2008, 09:08 PM

92,036 posts, read 122,173,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC's Finest View Post
Fairfax,

Great way to generalize a whole race of people! Keep up the good work. I love it when non blacks explain how it is to be black.
I thought I was the only one. You pretty much said what I was thinking, man.

Actually, where I live, most of the "successful" Black people live on our East side of the city, Eastern suburbs, mainly DeWitt and our Northern suburbs, mainly the Liverpool area. I don't think you get the feelings that were stated in Fairfax's post and supposedly 40% of our Black community in our county is lives under the poverty level.

Old 12-21-2008, 10:52 AM

32 posts, read 143,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nafster View Post
I am sorry but you should go look in a mirror. It seems you are the one that's doing the generalizing here. Why judge an entire city you don't even know?

I don't care if a black person lives anywhere, next door, two doors away, etc. You should just go where your job takes you. Many people and minorities cite "lack of diversity" as a negative, but many times it's their own fault, do to them only wanting to live around each other.
The same people who say they don't care if a black person or hispanic move next door to them are the same people to take flight fro those communities whenever blacks or hispanics actually move in. Minorities do tend to move toward each other because there is power in numbers, it seems that if you're job interviewer looks like you he or she doesn't pre-judge you as much and tend to relate to you more. In majority white cities blacks with a degree have about the same chance or getting hired as white felons. It seems that no matter how educated minorities become many whites still see them a certain way because they cannot relate to them. Barack won the election because he went to Harvard and was president of the law review, he did things that whites were comfortable with and related to. Everytime he did something "black" they went crazy. He knows a black preacher!!!Oh my God!!! "They just fist dapped, oh my God!!!!".... It's nice to be in a place where being you is not seen as a sin. Many African-Americans are more comfortable with other African-Americans because we relate to each other and are less inclined t judge one another.

Old 12-22-2008, 09:47 AM

Location: from houstoner to bostoner to new yorker to new jerseyite ;)
4,084 posts, read 12,633,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC's Finest View Post
Fairfax,

I'm fairly certain Fairfax IS black.

Quote:
To concur with this, in my experience, the places that I've been that has a high black population in poverty tends to have more prejudice non-blacks, and from a fact, DC, Dallas, and Atlanta definitely have a lot of successful blacks, but a lot more (noticeable) poorer blacks. Second, most "truly successful blacks" are usually at the envy and scorn in the eyes of most of the black community, dealing with constant bickering from their own of being "not black enough" and "acting white." Again, ATL, Dallas, and DC has a lot of bitter blacks who rile up to these more successful and educated blacks. These two factors overlap, resulting in a disliking of the "educated, successful, or non-stereotypical" black person from all angles.

So to revise my perspective, there are blacks who want to have that "communal" feeling, but there are others who either enjoy things that are opposite of what is seen as "black things" or are so tired of dealing with strife from their own so-called people that they would rather want to live in a place where whites and others can see them for their personality (or at least for their finances and education) and without excessive strife from their own. I personally fit into both of these categories.

And for that, I find places like Seattle, Raleigh, Houston, and Charlotte as good cities to check out for successful and educated blacks, but also places such as Minneapolis, Las Vegas, Denver, Phoenix, Columbus OH, Austin TX, Portland OR, Sacramento CA, Tampa FL, and other cities a consideration.

Well, that's the ultimate answer, along w/ any major Canadian city. As for the Anti-American sentiment, that will start to die down when Bush leaves, and besides, I assume it's way easier to deal with that than racial prejudice.

Old 12-22-2008, 10:23 AM

3,011 posts, read 6,280,871 times
Quote:

Well said..I remember discussing this briefly with you in another thread some time ago. I cannot speak for ATL and Dallas as I have not spent any apprciable amount of time in either locale to draw a valid conclusion regarding intra-race relations amongst blacks.

However, from living in the DC area, there is definitely a huge chasm between successful, educated blacks and poorer ones. The resentment, tension and anger is VERY evident.

Old 12-22-2008, 10:35 AM

3,011 posts, read 6,280,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dredio05 View Post
The same people who say they don't care if a black person or hispanic move next door to them are the same people to take flight fro those communities whenever blacks or hispanics actually move in. Minorities do tend to move toward each other because there is power in numbers, it seems that if you're job interviewer looks like you he or she doesn't pre-judge you as much and tend to relate to you more. In majority white cities blacks with a degree have about the same chance or getting hired as white felons. It seems that no matter how educated minorities become many whites still see them a certain way because they cannot relate to them. Barack won the election because he went to Harvard and was president of the law review, he did things that whites were comfortable with and related to. Everytime he did something "black" they went crazy. He knows a black preacher!!!Oh my God!!! "They just fist dapped, oh my God!!!!".... It's nice to be in a place where being you is not seen as a sin. Many African-Americans are more comfortable with other African-Americans because we relate to each other and are less inclined t judge one another.
The "relating" factors may indeed be race, a shared history and "struggle" for acceptance in a majority white country.

However, when differences in income, education, mannerisms and other elements come into play, the mere fact that we do share the above characteristics and experiences are moot in the end. Blacks are the harshest judges of one another if you ask me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.