Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2008, 10:28 PM

5,984 posts, read 13,414,034 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akhenaton06 View Post
Wow, so my own preferences are "uninformed"? Way to start out a conversation, particularly when I said that I wouldn't move there, not Black people in general.
I never said your preferences were uninformed. Your preferences are your preferences, and there's nothing wrong with them. I misunderstood your post. I'm sorry for offending you.

Quote:
Don't miss the forest for the trees here, especially when I never even remotely claimed that all Black people wear locs, listen to hip hop, are COGIC or AME, etc.
I never said you did, but your post implied that these things represent black culture as a whole.

Quote:
The hair doesn't have to be natural or worn in locs; the same principle applies (the ease and convenience of finding a beautician experienced in dealing with your hair texture), and it mostly applies to women (that should have been apparent).
I see where you're coming from, but your post didn't mention anything about women's hair (only barbers, so I didn't assume that.) I guess for people who are particular about their hair, it can be a big deal.

Quote:
And while there is no "typical" Black experience--which is why I mentioned several things here--you should also realize that your experience is less typical. Just in case you haven't noticed, there aren't a lot of us in the Winter Olympics--it isn't right or wrong, it's just a fact. Because the Black church played an extremely pivotal role in our history, most of us worship at a congregation with a significant amont of people who look like us and the Church Of God In Christ and the African Methodist Episcopal Church are predominantly Black denominations so I used them as examples (throw in the Pentecostal Assemblies of the World, the National Black Baptist Convention [USA], the Christian Methodist Episcopal Church--hell, I don't care, there are more to choose from; perhaps you've stepped foot in one of them). And so on and so forth.
Blacks aren't a monolithic group of people, but to try and deny the trends is, in your own words, uninformed. If you look at the cities Blacks are migrating to these days en masse, I guarantee you they don't look like Three Rivers or even Salt Lake City (just in case you wanted to make size a factor).
The cities that black people are migrating to "en masse" are basically the same ones that white people are migrating to en masse - Atlanta, Charlotte, Dallas, Houston, Phoenix, Las Vegas, etc. These are trendy sunbelt cities, and they're where most people are migrating to.

Quote:
But I do think it's a bit funny that for you, a "standard" barbershop is a White barbershop. What does that make a Black barbershop? I think I'll stop right there.
I didn't mean anything racist by it. In southwest Michigan, white barbershops are the "standard," so I referred to it that way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2008, 08:56 PM

93,326 posts, read 123,941,088 times
I guess barber shops in Benton Harbor are the exception to the rule then. It is a city that is about 95% Black after all. There are other communities in SW Michigan with sizeable Black populations like Cassopolis, Dowagiac, Coloma, Buchanan and even places like Paw Paw, Allegan and St. Jospeh have even enough to know they are definately there.

Anyway, back to the original post. I would say cities like Minneapolis, Seattle, Denver, Madison WI, Grand Rapids MI, Atlanta, DC, Charlotte, Nashville, Louisville, Columbus OH and up my way Rochester, Ithaca, Buffalo(somewhat, mainly in Amherst), New Rochelle, White Plains, Lakeview(Malverne schools), Baldwin, Wheatley Heights(Half Hollow Hills schools), Syracuse's East side into the suburb of DeWitt, Colonie outside of Albany and parts of Rockland County too.

Old 12-10-2008, 08:58 AM

3,047 posts, read 9,033,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kazoopilot View Post
I didn't mean anything racist by it. In southwest Michigan, white barbershops are the "standard," so I referred to it that way.
what are you tip toeing around for? you didn't say anything bad. there are more white barber shops, thus they are the standard. if there were more black barbershops than they would be the standard. what you said was clear, precise, and correct.

Old 12-10-2008, 10:46 AM

8,180 posts, read 14,868,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by At1WithNature View Post
what are you tip toeing around for? you didn't say anything bad. there are more white barber shops, thus they are the standard. if there were more black barbershops than they would be the standard. what you said was clear, precise, and correct.
Being that we're speaking about the "best" cities for African Americans specifically, White barber shops aren't the standard in our communities. However, if we were speaking about the larger culture in general, that would be correct. Context is everything.

Old 12-10-2008, 11:15 AM

5,984 posts, read 13,414,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akhenaton06 View Post
Being that we're speaking about the "best" cities for African Americans specifically, White barber shops aren't the standard in our communities. However, if we were speaking about the larger culture in general, that would be correct. Context is everything.
The best cities for black Americans aren't necessarily the ones with a high black population. There are many cities that are great for blacks that have a majority white population. See Minneapolis, Seattle, Grand Rapids, Ann Arbor, Boston, Portland, and Denver.

Old 12-10-2008, 12:08 PM

8,180 posts, read 14,868,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kazoopilot View Post
The best cities for black Americans aren't necessarily the ones with a high black population. There are many cities that are great for blacks that have a majority white population. See Minneapolis, Seattle, Grand Rapids, Ann Arbor, Boston, Portland, and Denver.
I wasn't referring to majority-Black cities, only what's specific to Black communities/neighborhoods as it regards services like barber shops, beauty salons, etc.

And don't forget the Southern cities, such as Charlotte, Raleigh, Nashville, etc.

Old 12-10-2008, 03:04 PM

93,326 posts, read 123,941,088 times
I agree with the last two posts in terms of the cities they stated. With the cities that were mostly White, it is interesting that the Black communities there seem to be closely knit, well educated, have quite a bit of influence, the city is pretty "liberal" and the Black community is diverse in terms of ethnic makeup and/or how they arrived to that city. With Denver and Seattle, many came by way of the military, along with the migration from the South after WW2.

Old 12-10-2008, 03:56 PM

1,434 posts, read 3,968,122 times
Quote:
I don't agree with the idea that minorities only want to live with other minorities.
I have seen some threads started on this forum by Black people who live in cities like Phoenix and Reno complain about how they think their city needs more Black people because they don't think there is enough of them there and how they feel racially isolated because of this. So a very large number of Black people do not feel comfortable at all living in cities where their percentage of the population is only in the single digits.

Old 12-10-2008, 05:51 PM

187 posts, read 524,269 times
As a black person, I'd say Europe. I went to college in Rome and live there now part-time. There you won't have to deal with all the racism that permeates American society. To Europeans you'll just be an "American Boy". Now, the anti-U.S. sentiment is a whole other story. LOL.

Old 12-10-2008, 06:43 PM

6,613 posts, read 16,583,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Jarrett View Post
I have seen some threads started on this forum by Black people who live in cities like Phoenix and Reno complain about how they think their city needs more Black people because they don't think there is enough of them there and how they feel racially isolated because of this. So a very large number of Black people do not feel comfortable at all living in cities where their percentage of the population is only in the single digits.
That's a leap!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.