Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2023, 08:09 AM

8 posts, read 8,399 times

Advertisements

I'm currently going to college in Chattanooga learning the trade of advanced manufacturing, and I wish to plant my roots in either Southeast/South Central Missouri or Northeast/North Central Arkansas after I save up some money. I'm also planning to eventually start my own computer repair store once I have enough money. What are some towns (preferably smaller towns) I should consider checking out that have advanced manufacturing jobs in the area? Also which state is a better state to start a business (if it makes any difference)?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2023, 11:01 AM

16,087 posts, read 10,753,057 times
What attracts you to this area?
Missouri towns might be West Plains, Sikeston, and Poplar Bluff for the larger places. Cape Girardeau is almost 40k population --a college town but too large? There are dozens of smaller towns (Charleston, New Madrid, Mountain View, Willow Springs). Rolla has about 20k and is a college town but a bit farther north. Small towns with some sort of anchor industry, like a college or a prison, might have a more stable economy to support a new business.

Old 04-04-2023, 11:09 AM

17,798 posts, read 13,698,337 times
Arkansas has Jonesboro and several other towns that would be options. Probably about the same potential as what is on the Missouri side in that specified area.

Old 04-04-2023, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunGrins View Post
What attracts you to this area?
Tennessee is getting too crowded and pricey. I've heard not too many people move to this area and that there's a good bit of things to do outdoors.

Quote:
Missouri towns might be West Plains, Sikeston, and Poplar Bluff for the larger places. There are dozens of smaller towns (Charleston, New Madrid, Mountain View, Willow Springs).
I've been looking at houses for sale around Scott City and Dexter along with West Plains in Missouri, and Piggott, Corning, Pocahontas, and Walnut Ridge along with some other places nearby in Arkansas. I'm just a little curious, of all these towns (or at the least the ones you've been too), what place do you think is the nicest?

Quote:
Cape Girardeau is almost 40k population --a college town but too large?
That shouldn't be a problem as long as traffic isn't bad and nobody is getting mugged downtown. I only said preferably smaller towns since they tend to not have much traffic or crime.

Old 04-04-2023, 12:17 PM

2,122 posts, read 3,687,896 times
I'd say Jonesboro would have more opportunity than anywhere else in the region, but you give up better topography than west of Poplar Bluff or around Cape Girardeau. Most of the area around Jonesboro is tabletop flat.

Cape Girardeau is nice, but manufacturing isn't the region's strong suit. There is a large Procter & Gamble plant here as well as some other smaller manufacturers, but there certainly are not any new manufacturers setting up shop here.

Old 04-04-2023, 12:18 PM

27,218 posts, read 43,942,133 times
OP, look in Jonesboro which holds the best value and is large enough to offer varying amenities other than a Walmart on the outskirts of town.

Old 04-04-2023, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GunnerTHB View Post
I'd say Jonesboro would have more opportunity than anywhere else in the region, but you give up better topography than west of Poplar Bluff or around Cape Girardeau. Most of the area around Jonesboro is tabletop flat.

Cape Girardeau is nice, but manufacturing isn't the region's strong suit. There is a large Procter & Gamble plant here as well as some other smaller manufacturers, but there certainly are not any new manufacturers setting up shop here.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
OP, look in Jonesboro which holds the best value and is large enough to offer varying amenities other than a Walmart on the outskirts of town.
Good to know! Thank you!

Old 04-05-2023, 07:37 AM

5,743 posts, read 3,603,829 times
I lived in Salem MO acouple years, prettty nice but small. Nearby Rolla didn't have much appeal. Reynolds and Shannon counties are really back country, no towns over a couple hundred.

Old 04-05-2023, 07:01 PM

8,500 posts, read 8,794,511 times
Ask industry experts at one of the centers mentioned here:

https://www.investmentmonitor.ai/spo...manufacturing/

They didn't specify locations in this article though other than St. Louis.

This might be obvious but you considered a computer store that specializes in set up / modification of computers for advanced manufacturing?

Idaho has some companies serving IT needs of the ag industry and surely other states haveneedamd hopefully capacity for similar.

Arkansas video
https://www.arkansasedc.com/Manufact...dmanufacturing

Jonesboro specific

https://www.jonesborounlimited.com/k...-manufacturing

Last edited by NW Crow; 04-05-2023 at 07:42 PM..

Old 04-05-2023, 07:22 PM

8,500 posts, read 8,794,511 times
What size town or small town would you prefer? 5-10k, 25k, 50-75k? Different people mean want different things when they say small town.

If you want small near St. Louis, look into Troy, Warrenton, Washington, Union, Sullivan and DeSoto and see what of anything is happening there

In central Arkansas, Conway and maybe Arkdelphia and Pine Bluff.

Last edited by NW Crow; 04-05-2023 at 07:43 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.