Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2020, 04:38 AM

9,359 posts, read 14,093,349 times

Advertisements

Most of the above are complaints about arachnids. 8-legged creatures not insects. Ticks, chiggers, scorpions. Increasingly rare the further north you go.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2020, 06:25 AM

3,715 posts, read 3,696,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoHyping View Post
The Great lakes are not standing water sorry. Smaller interior lakes are different and seems a mock of the Midwest and Great Lakes anyway

I live by a river and creeks. They are far worst in the East unless they spray.
I'm not referring to the Great lakes, I'm talking about the land of 10,000 (15,000) lakes!!!!!

Minnesota has more coastline than California, Florida, and hawaii combined. All standing water in those lakes

Old 07-06-2020, 07:11 AM

8,302 posts, read 5,699,271 times
Definitely south of the Fall Line in the SE US.

Gnats are your life.

Old 07-06-2020, 07:28 AM

1,529 posts, read 1,725,549 times
When I first read the thread headline, I thought it said "nuanced bugs".

For a millisecond, my mind wandered and I thought about a bunch of bugs sitting around debating Nietzsche.

Anyways, I'll see myself out.

Old 07-06-2020, 09:34 AM

16,074 posts, read 10,732,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arr430 View Post
Missouri. A dozen different species of Ticks, at least one everywhere. The world epicenter of the worst chiggers. The only state that is home to all NA genera of poisonous snakes. Brown recluse spiders common, with a helping of black widows on he side.

To protect against chiggers, dust your shoes, socks, pant legs and waist band with yellow elemental sulfur, cheap at any pharmacy.
I have to agree with Missouri. I think my record was 13 ticks at one time. Not unusual to have 3 or 4. The state also floats on a sea of termites.

Old 07-06-2020, 09:43 AM

5,349 posts, read 5,126,476 times
I haven't spent much time in the swampy gulf coast area, but outside of that I have never seen anywhere with mosquitoes and ticks like MN and northern WI. It is literally a cloud of mosquitoes that go and follow you around. MN and WI are the epicenter for ticks and tick bites, not the south. The flies suck too. There's mosquitoes and ticks other places in the east, but there's mosquitoes and ticks in Colorado too. There can be no bugs around until you hit the lake at 11000 ft and all of a sudden, there's the mosquitoes.

These bugs live in stagnant or swampy water, and MN and WI are just littered with small ponds of stagnant water and that's why they really are worse up there. They don't breed in the Great Lakes because those lakes aren't stagnant, there's waves. States like OH and MO don't really have natural lakes, hence why it's nicer there. I was shocked there were no nuisance insects when we went to OH and PA in June or the Ozarks in late April; it was a pleasant surprise. OH is significantly nicer than MN in my opinion because of the lack of bugs, rolling terrain, and bigger nicer trees.

The west has a reputation for being free of nuisance material, but that's not necessarily true. There's black widows and wasps here too. I know they aren't bugs, but CO has a LOT of rattlesnakes in the lower elevations; there's not a big variety of snakes, but the snakes that are there are mostly rattlers (or garder snakes), and there's a lot of them hanging out in the ravines and rock outcroppings. I think it's probably on par with most eastern states for snakes, until you get to the gulf coast south, where it sounds like the snake population increases significantly.

Old 07-06-2020, 09:48 AM

2,223 posts, read 1,394,054 times
Probably the southeast. Honestly, there is only one bug that really matters, and that is mosquitoes. They can be as debilitating for outdoor activity as extreme heat and cold. Bugs like roaches are gross but really inconsequential.

Old 07-06-2020, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunGrins View Post
I have to agree with Missouri. I think my record was 13 ticks at one time. Not unusual to have 3 or 4. The state also floats on a sea of termites.
According to this map, ticks are much more of a problem on the north Atlantic swampy seaboard and MN / WI than they are anywhere in the south.

https://lymediseaseassociation.org/c...s-maps-graphs/

Old 07-06-2020, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whereiend View Post
Bugs like roaches are gross but really inconsequential.
Colorado has miller moths, it's a similar thing, they are dusty and annoying, hiding out in your car and garage by the hundreds sometimes, but they don't do anything to people.

Old 07-06-2020, 09:51 AM

2,563 posts, read 3,624,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Citykid3785 View Post
I'm not referring to the Great lakes, I'm talking about the land of 10,000 (15,000) lakes!!!!!

Minnesota has more coastline than California, Florida, and hawaii combined. All standing water in those lakes

Hmmmm. While true, I'm always dubious of this claim. The coastal circumference of 10,000 bottom-feeder lakes hardly can be compared to the Pacific coast of California or Hawaii. Minnesota also has very limited Lake Superior coastline, which in fact *does* compare favorably to the Pacific coastline.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.