Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2020, 11:18 AM

16,508 posts, read 26,285,643 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil P View Post
I haven't spent much time in the swampy gulf coast area, but outside of that I have never seen anywhere with mosquitoes and ticks like MN and northern WI. It is literally a cloud of mosquitoes that go and follow you around. MN and WI are the epicenter for ticks and tick bites, not the south. The flies suck too. There's mosquitoes and ticks other places in the east, but there's mosquitoes and ticks in Colorado too. There can be no bugs around until you hit the lake at 11000 ft and all of a sudden, there's the mosquitoes.

These bugs live in stagnant or swampy water, and MN and WI are just littered with small ponds of stagnant water and that's why they really are worse up there. They don't breed in the Great Lakes because those lakes aren't stagnant, there's waves. States like OH and MO don't really have natural lakes, hence why it's nicer there. I was shocked there were no nuisance insects when we went to OH and PA in June or the Ozarks in late April; it was a pleasant surprise. OH is significantly nicer than MN in my opinion because of the lack of bugs, rolling terrain, and bigger nicer trees.

The west has a reputation for being free of nuisance material, but that's not necessarily true. There's black widows and wasps here too. I know they aren't bugs, but CO has a LOT of rattlesnakes in the lower elevations; there's not a big variety of snakes, but the snakes that are there are mostly rattlers (or garder snakes), and there's a lot of them hanging out in the ravines and rock outcroppings. I think it's probably on par with most eastern states for snakes, until you get to the gulf coast south, where it sounds like the snake population increases significantly.
Weird because I've only seen 2 mosquitoes since I've been in Denver. Are they all at high elevations?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2020, 12:53 PM

5,349 posts, read 5,123,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
Weird because I've only seen 2 mosquitoes since I've been in Denver. Are they all at high elevations?
They're basically anywhere where you have stagnant water. CO doesn't have much of this, but there's beaver ponds and small lakes out in the woods and they hang out there. I think they spray the ponds in the city of Denver like they do most cities to keep park environments nice.

Old 07-06-2020, 01:17 PM

405 posts, read 196,070 times
Georgia and Florida in my experience. Brutal, I can only take it for a few days.

Old 07-06-2020, 02:18 PM

3,715 posts, read 3,694,077 times
I'm not claiming GA has the worst bugs (I don't think it does), but it's a year round season of flying things that can sting (wasps, bees, yellow jackets, etc.). I got stung in November when it was 55 degrees. That was new for me (coming from MN).

Old 07-06-2020, 02:50 PM

1,049 posts, read 652,790 times
The Sand Hills of Nebraska is actually one of the worst areas in the country for mosquitos. I found that interesting because I always thought it was the further south you go the worse they are.

Old 07-06-2020, 03:19 PM

5,349 posts, read 5,123,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fivenine View Post
The Sand Hills of Nebraska is actually one of the worst areas in the country for mosquitos. I found that interesting because I always thought it was the further south you go the worse they are.
Goes to show why early Americans drained the swamps and wetlands and turned it into farmable acreage and it was seen as the way of progress. Gets rid of pests, but now we know what roles they play in the water supply and biodiversity, like the sand hills basically serving as the source for the Ogalalla aquifer. So we need both, with people staying in more people friendly locations and wetlands being more reserved for animals.

Old 07-06-2020, 04:45 PM

2,770 posts, read 2,601,679 times
I don't think I've ever experienced more ravenous mosquitoes than I did in Upstate New York(Glens Falls, Schroon Lake) the two years I was there. Of course this was during the warmer months. I've lived in the South most of my life, but it seems pest control has gotten to the point(in the South) where you don't notice the pests anymore. Upstate NY on the other hand seemed like there is no pest control.

Last edited by jdaelectro; 07-06-2020 at 05:00 PM..

Old 07-06-2020, 08:18 PM

16,508 posts, read 26,285,643 times
Quote:
They're basically anywhere where you have stagnant water. CO doesn't have much of this, but there's beaver ponds and small lakes out in the woods and they hang out there. I think they spray the ponds in the city of Denver like they do most cities to keep park environments nice.
Ha. Do they have the mosquito trucks that drive around and spray?

Old 07-06-2020, 08:27 PM

7,480 posts, read 6,253,222 times
Back when I was RV’ing I did a trip up thru Michigan UP into Canada. Worst and most vicious bugs I have ever seen. Our Southern bugs can’t compete.

Old 07-06-2020, 10:51 PM

5,743 posts, read 3,593,936 times
Quote:
According to this map, ticks are much more of a problem on the north Atlantic swampy seaboard and MN / WI than they are anywhere in the south.

https://lymediseaseassociation.org/c...s-maps-graphs/
That map reflects incidence of Lyme Disease. A feew ticks can carry Lyme where it exists, but a lot of ticks can't where it is not present.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.