Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-25-2020, 07:52 AM

405 posts, read 196,899 times

Advertisements

I wouldn't mind living in downtown SD. it's slower but if I get older the relaxed pace might be nice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2020, 11:54 AM

17,184 posts, read 15,390,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by _Uncommon_ View Post
Yes I can definitely agree with this. San Diego is a very cool city. Best city in California by a mile, nothing comes close. Downtown LA and downtown SD are too totally different neighborhoods. LA is far too fractured and also very dirty. For a city of its size, LA’s downtown is so disappointing. Miami’s downtown is also disappointing.
Miami's downtown is just too small for a city of its size. It kind of suffers from the same ill fate as Tampa does, in that there is a more robust, more interesting, more urban place across the bay (Miami Beach/St-Pete.)

That being said, anyone who tries to claim that Miami is more "urban" than SD needs to be thrown into a mental asylum.

Old 07-25-2020, 12:27 PM

1,798 posts, read 1,124,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal352 View Post
That being said, anyone who tries to claim that Miami is more "urban" than SD needs to be thrown into a mental asylum.
Well, regionally they are somewhat similar. Their urban footprint and overall densities are comparable (obviously noting that Miami is a more populous region).

I'd imagine that some urban areas are comparable based on actual census numbers, although I think the look and feel are different.

The more amusing claim is that Miami is more "fun" than San Diego. Both cities are fun to different types of visitors, so it's obviously very subjective and personal. I will say that San Diego has a bit more diversity in terms of options for "fun".

Old 07-26-2020, 07:22 AM

37,882 posts, read 41,956,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newgensandiego View Post
Well, regionally they are somewhat similar. Their urban footprint and overall densities are comparable (obviously noting that Miami is a more populous region).

I'd imagine that some urban areas are comparable based on actual census numbers, although I think the look and feel are different.

The more amusing claim is that Miami is more "fun" than San Diego. Both cities are fun to different types of visitors, so it's obviously very subjective and personal. I will say that San Diego has a bit more diversity in terms of options for "fun".
I'd say "fun" has to do with the components of their leisure and entertainment sectors geared towards adults that would include things like nightlife, professional sports, music scene, concerts/special events, fashion, art, etc. In this regard, it would appear as though Miami is more Vegas and SD is more Orlando.

Old 07-26-2020, 02:30 PM

1,798 posts, read 1,124,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
I'd say "fun" has to do with the components of their leisure and entertainment sectors geared towards adults that would include things like nightlife, professional sports, music scene, concerts/special events, fashion, art, etc. In this regard, it would appear as though Miami is more Vegas and SD is more Orlando.
Yes, I'd agree with that. I do think that San Diego is a bit more balanced between the family and non-family, young and old, etc. markets though, compared to Miami, Orlando, and Vegas. I think it can offer a solid "fun" experience for a larger variety of tourist groups, even if it isn't a stand-out in, say, professional sports, art, or fashion.

LA does an even better job at catering to a diverse range of visitor interests. Basically everything that SD can offer, except generally higher quality and more options. If only it wasn't so stressful getting around the city!

Old 07-26-2020, 03:06 PM

The traffic hampers it some, but I don't think any metro area beats LA in that, not even NYC.
But I do think SD is more visitor friendly, for sure. And for whatever reason, LA doesn't cater to tourists like other cities. It's weird. One example is they're FINALLY going to make Hollywood Blvd more tourist friendly, after decades of not giving a damn. It's going to be interesting to see what they do.

I do think downtown San Diego belongs on one of these downtown lists. Not top 10, but it should be in the top 15 somewhere.

Old 07-26-2020, 08:39 PM

1,676 posts, read 1,087,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keyser S View Post
The traffic hampers it some, but I don't think any metro area beats LA in that, not even NYC.
But I do think SD is more visitor friendly, for sure. And for whatever reason, LA doesn't cater to tourists like other cities. It's weird. One example is they're FINALLY going to make Hollywood Blvd more tourist friendly, after decades of not giving a damn. It's going to be interesting to see what they do.

I do think downtown San Diego belongs on one of these downtown lists. Not top 10, but it should be in the top 15 somewhere.
LA #1 in traffic I agree. However if you break it down to different types of traffic, I think NYC is hands down #1 for city/street/urban traffic. But overall I'd say LA is the worst. Probably followed by DC, Chicago, Boston in some order. NYC Metro is probably #5 and that's with the area having so many alternate routes in the 5 boroughs, NJ, LI, Westchester. It's a never ending maze of roadways everywhere.

Old 07-26-2020, 09:02 PM

oh, my bad. I was saying LA has more diverse things to do.
But the traffic makes it a issue.

Nyc traffic is what you said it is though . Some of the worst traffic I've seen is in nyc.

Old 07-26-2020, 10:17 PM

2,367 posts, read 1,855,557 times
Maybe this works for easily bored people or families with young kids... As a city data geek I would want more time in pretty much every place listed.

I quite enjoyed my visits to Charlotte and Research Triangle cities, and don't think they deserve to be skipped at all.

Four days is way too low for New Orleans.

Old 07-26-2020, 11:17 PM

472 posts, read 347,570 times
This is going to be very bias, so feel free to take everything I'm about to state with an enormous grain of salt!
F Rankings:
Albany, Buffalo Albuquerque, Dayton, El Paso, Fresno, Grand Rapids, Greensboro, Hartford, OKC, Rochester

D Rankings: Asheville, Baltimore, Bham, Cape Coral/ Fort Myers, Charlotte, Chatt, Cincinnati,
Cleveland, Columbus, Detroit, Greenville, Harrisburg, Indianapolis, Jacksonville, KC, Knoxville, Louisville, Milwak, Portland, Providence, Raleigh, Richmond, Sacramento, SLC, SA, VA Beach, Sarasota, Savannah, Tampa, Tucson, Tulsa

Borderline D/C: Austin, Denver, Memphis, Charleston, Pitt, STL, San Juan, PHX, Santa Fe

C Ranks: Atlanta, Dallas, Houston, Minn, Nash, NOLA, Philly,Seattle, SD

B Ranks: Chi, Honolulu, Vegas, Miami, Orlando, SF,

Borderline A: Boston, LA, DC

A Rank: NYC

Honestly, I feel like many in my Borderline D/C rank on down to my F are all negotiable- obviously, none of these are hard and fast rules. I think if you are visiting you can get the feel for even gargantuan cities in 4-7 days and do all the necessary things a tourist ought to do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.