Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-28-2021, 01:24 PM

43 posts, read 68,100 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I’m trying to research places to possibly consider moving t.
I’m basing this on finding somewhere similar to so cal (the valley, Orange County, Long Beach)

I honestly don’t currently understand all the property tax implications per state and so am really just looking at places that would allow me to buy a house, keep nice weather and enjoy a few things like nice parks, shopping, restaurants (I love local coffee shops).

Other than that I’m really open to others knowledge of other states.

I have considered Florida which seems like a decent option, except for the heat I wonder how I’d navigate that with my dog. I’ve also heard people talk negatively about paying $$$ in Florida for their property, unfortunately they aren’t people I can query their finances so I’m not sure what or where that negativity comes from other than it’s related to taxes around their property.

For some basic info I work remotely and make around 70k p/a

I’d love to learn about others experiences leaving Cali, where did you go? Are you happy where you are now? Did you see a change in your finances? Is your residential area what you expected?
What places would you recommend looking into?

I should add as well, I did look into Washington but don’t do well in gloomy weather and believe it’s grey and rainy a lot up there?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2021, 02:00 PM

2,924 posts, read 2,013,883 times
Everywhere is a downgrade from socal(weather-wise), everywhere.
Just remember that. People will try to tell you how denver isn't far behind socal, or the Dakota's have amazing summers, or minneapolis has mild winters nowadays...blah, blah - Don't believe them. Ppl are full of crap. Either move inland and deal with some heat, or deal with the wilderness outside of CA. Expect issues out there, but it could be the best thing you do.

Eastern idaho, southern oregon, new mexico/el paso, and reno are some spots for you that are neither too extreme with weather or too expensive. Good luck.

Edit: some parts of southern utah aren't bad either.

Last edited by dontbelievehim; 02-28-2021 at 02:17 PM..

Old 02-28-2021, 02:27 PM

Thank you, I’ll take a look into those spots you recommend

Old 02-28-2021, 04:05 PM

7 posts, read 5,325 times
Katie -

Having lived in the LA area 3x in my life and in Santa Barbara for part of my college years I have to agree with Befriend above. Given this I would tell you a lot depends on how important the weather in SO CAL is for you and what other important factors will enter into your decision. If you don't care about politics - and want to live in a place that is buzzing - there are several areas in TX that will fit as long as you are prepared for much more heat in the summer. In terms of FL one of the major concerns is demographics. If your older and looking down the barrel at retirement there is a number of places you could potentially live there - but like TX the politics are very different than SO Cal. So, if your a democrat and a liberal - and this matters to you - its more difficult to find a place that is comfortable.

Say more about your criteria and we will all be better equipped to help you.

Good luck!

Old 02-28-2021, 09:15 PM

Thanks Scnedavid,

Yeah that’s definitely something to consider, I keep myself to myself, politics is definitely not the top of my thought process but I can imagine this would be pretty prominent since as you say Cali is a pretty liberal place... SoCal at least.

I wonder if I would be better looking at the best areas within Cali...ones where a 2 bed house doesn’t set you back 1.5million.

Would love to hear of places around Cali, I, familiar with so cal in terms of locations but not day to day,lifestyle, crime, year round weather etc

Old 02-28-2021, 10:10 PM
sub

4,963 posts, read 3,762,417 times
People are highly adaptable.
I’ve known many Californians who have moved to several different and often unpopular states in the middle of the country and love it. Most have no desire to go back to California.

Weather isn’t everything in life. Many people find the changes of seasons and even the so-called “extremes” to be refreshing and enjoyable.

Nice parks , shopping, restaurants are found in literally every single state. The midwest excels at those things, but that cold.... helps to keep it that way.

Otherwise, St. George Utah comes to mind.

Old 03-01-2021, 05:42 AM

2,008 posts, read 1,867,150 times
I agree with others about the weather. The weather is very good in Southern California. No where close. With that said I know many people that moved out and went to places like Jacksonville fl, Tampa, Vegas and Phoenix. They love it more than California. Those places also are not overly expensive yet so 70k could get you something nice.

From personal experience if you do go somewhere go somewhere where its alot of transplants at. If you go somewhere where alot of people are not moving to you it is extremely hard to date or get to know someone. If you go to a area where many new people are at they will be trying to meet new people too

Old 03-01-2021, 07:12 AM

12,766 posts, read 18,384,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dontbelievehim View Post
Everywhere is a downgrade from socal(weather-wise), everywhere.
Just remember that. People will try to tell you how denver isn't far behind socal, or the Dakota's have amazing summers, or minneapolis has mild winters nowadays...blah, blah - Don't believe them. Ppl are full of crap. Either move inland and deal with some heat, or deal with the wilderness outside of CA. Expect issues out there, but it could be the best thing you do.

Eastern idaho, southern oregon, new mexico/el paso, and reno are some spots for you that are neither too extreme with weather or too expensive. Good luck.

Edit: some parts of southern utah aren't bad either.
Not if you like 4 distinct seasons & greenery ...

Old 03-01-2021, 08:35 AM

27,578 posts, read 28,680,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KatieLA View Post
I honestly don’t currently understand all the property tax implications per state and so am really just looking at places that would allow me to buy a house, keep nice weather and enjoy a few things like nice parks, shopping, restaurants (I love local coffee shops).
There are tons of places all over the United States with nice parks, shopping, restaurants and coffee shops. But not Southern California weather.

You're going to have to accept trade offs if you move. Different parts of the United States have different weather. That's the beauty of this country.

Old 03-01-2021, 09:33 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,225,683 times
There are still parts of CA that you can afford on $70k income, in fact you can be one of the wealthiest in town. Look at these:

City Median Family Income
Eureka $41,147
Yreka $39,792
Penn Valley $43,340
Murphys $48,404
Barstow $39,585
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.