Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-14-2020, 09:40 PM

54 posts, read 100,488 times

Advertisements

Hello.

I live in Chicago, IL, and we Census workers will be starting our door-to-door work pretty soon.

I have some questions for those people around the United States who have already worked as door-to-door Census workers during the summer of 2020.

1) The first part of the job is the classroom training. Were you required to wear face coverings while sitting in that classroom for 8 hours a day?

2) Were you required to wear face coverings while going door-to-door to interview people for the Census?

3) How did COVID-19 affect your work in general?

Thanks for any info.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2020, 04:26 PM

2,518 posts, read 2,058,060 times
this is the most recent 'census' thread I could find, so I'm replying here.

Census worker came to my door today. He had his logo-ed bag and his data collection app was on his smartphone, which I would think would be hard to read in the sun. He did state that on a previous day, his smartphone became so hot it shutdown.

I was convinced of his ID, so I answered his questions. Overall, his list of questions was very short, centered around age, race/ethnicity, how many people in the household, do you own or rent, have you lived here all year...

We both wore masks and stayed separated by 8+ feet.

I was very suspicious and on alert for any questions that I would deem as "too personal" or if he's just part of an elaborate case-your-place-gonna-rob-you-later scenario. But no such questions. Two or three of the questions I refused to answer, citing the California constitutional amendment's Explicit Right to Privacy.

He was done in minutes. I offered him a bottle of water since he was standing in the direct sunlight the whole time, and in full view of my surveillance camera.

Old 08-21-2020, 07:46 AM

15,420 posts, read 9,078,700 times
Here is my experience with a Census worker. Everyday this week I have had the Census guy banging on my door. I'm not answering the door for anybody unless I'm expecting them. Everyday he leaves another note telling me that I have to respond to the Census, which I already did months ago. So yesterday I went online to the Census website and entered the Census ID number on the note. First question: Are you completing the 2020 Census questionnaire for the address below? It's not even my address. It's for an apartment in another building. My apartment number is on my door. The guy must be legally blind or something. I have no intention of talking to him about it, but it is temping to go ahead and answer the door the next time and ask him to read back the address, and then ask him if that matches the number on my door.

Old 08-26-2020, 01:51 AM

5,485 posts, read 3,926,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudy Dayz View Post
Here is my experience with a Census worker. Everyday this week I have had the Census guy banging on my door. I'm not answering the door for anybody unless I'm expecting them. Everyday he leaves another note telling me that I have to respond to the Census, which I already did months ago. So yesterday I went online to the Census website and entered the Census ID number on the note. First question: Are you completing the 2020 Census questionnaire for the address below? It's not even my address. It's for an apartment in another building. My apartment number is on my door. The guy must be legally blind or something. I have no intention of talking to him about it, but it is temping to go ahead and answer the door the next time and ask him to read back the address, and then ask him if that matches the number on my door.
Lol. I mean, by now you should be expecting him, ergo by your own logic, you should be answering the door. In all seriousness, if this was the pattern of behavior I'd been experiencing, I'd basically treat him like a telemarketer who's called 4 times in a row and answer the door in a 'gfy' manner, inviting him to...make up whatever information he'd like about me, much as he's apparently already made up my address.

Regarding his perceived blindness, I'm probably chalking that up to either laziness or confusion. I often buy beer from a large local grocery store chain that mandates an ID check regardless of the age of the would-be purchaser of alcohol. I'm typically quietly astonished at the number of times I'll see a worker look at my ID for 10 seconds or so (10 seconds, not half a second), then punch in the wrong birthdate. Intro psych classes in college taught me that people tend to only have short-term memory capacity for seven digits (hence the length of the 'merican phone number, minus the area code), and this exercise seems to prove that conventional wisdom correct, given that the MM/DD/YYYY format requires recollection of all of 8 digits out of them (although in a practical sense, only 4-6, given that the mental shortcut is M[M]/D[D]/YY).

People are irksome and stupid and so I understand your commitment to avoidance here, but I think at this point you're better off answering and engaging for as short of a period of time as possible.

Old 08-26-2020, 07:27 AM

15,420 posts, read 9,078,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Marcinkiewicz View Post
Lol. I mean, by now you should be expecting him, ergo by your own logic, you should be answering the door. In all seriousness, if this was the pattern of behavior I'd been experiencing, I'd basically treat him like a telemarketer who's called 4 times in a row and answer the door in a 'gfy' manner, inviting him to...make up whatever information he'd like about me, much as he's apparently already made up my address.

Regarding his perceived blindness, I'm probably chalking that up to either laziness or confusion. I often buy beer from a large local grocery store chain that mandates an ID check regardless of the age of the would-be purchaser of alcohol. I'm typically quietly astonished at the number of times I'll see a worker look at my ID for 10 seconds or so (10 seconds, not half a second), then punch in the wrong birthdate. Intro psych classes in college taught me that people tend to only have short-term memory capacity for seven digits (hence the length of the 'merican phone number, minus the area code), and this exercise seems to prove that conventional wisdom correct, given that the MM/DD/YYYY format requires recollection of all of 8 digits out of them (although in a practical sense, only 4-6, given that the mental shortcut is M[M]/D[D]/YY).

People are irksome and stupid and so I understand your commitment to avoidance here, but I think at this point you're better off answering and engaging for as short of a period of time as possible.
LOL, he hasn't come back. After a week of trying I guess he either gave up, or got a clue that it wasn't the address he was looking for.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.