Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2020, 11:08 AM

11 posts, read 5,777 times

Advertisements

Hi I'm a 28 year old female who is tired of the small New England town that I currently live in and am looking to go somewhere new. Career wise I have worked in both the child care field and Customer services field and feel I could find a job in either field anywhere I go so I'm not to worried about that. I would like my new to too have some what of a night life the town I currently live in everything closes at 5pm and when your a single girl who works most days till that time its hard to meet anyone when there's is no where's to go. Being that I'm single I want a town that is easy to meet people in as i want to make new friends and meet new people. I also don't drive so a town or city that is very walkable or has a good public transportation system would be great. For rent my max budget would be $1200. I also don't think New England is the place for me and would like for my new town or city to be outside of that area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2020, 11:41 AM

93,347 posts, read 123,972,828 times
Is there anything else specific that you are looking for say in terms of weather, city size, region, etc.?

Old 07-16-2020, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Is there anything else specific that you are looking for say in terms of weather, city size, region, etc.?
I'm really ok with any kind of weather I'm currently living in the state of Maine and we get rain, snow , and all kinds of other weather. city size would be probably small to medium size. I'm looking at kind of all of the map when it comes to regions I just I'm ready for a change from New England.

Old 07-16-2020, 12:11 PM

440 posts, read 240,302 times
Eugene Oregon is lovely.

Old 07-16-2020, 12:45 PM

506 posts, read 477,510 times
Are you willing to have roommates? If you are, then your budget will probably allow you to live in some of the larger cities, like Boston, DC, or Chicago. That's also a good way to make instant friends (including within your age group), and it will offer you the most change from Maine.

I say this because the not wanting to drive part will limit you. That budget might not be enough for the nicer walkable neighborhoods in truly walkable cities.

Old 07-16-2020, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Quiet_One View Post
Are you willing to have roommates? If you are, then your budget will probably allow you to live in some of the larger cities, like Boston, DC, or Chicago. That's also a good way to make instant friends (including within your age group), and it will offer you the most change from Maine.

I say this because the not wanting to drive part will limit you. That budget might not be enough for the nicer walkable neighborhoods in truly walkable cities.
I have no problem with having a roommate I hadn't thought of that option. thank you for the suggestion that may be a good idea.

Old 07-16-2020, 04:39 PM

5,521 posts, read 8,771,334 times
Midwest prices are generally low, so even w/o roommates you could find a good place for $1000 to $1200 in a walkable safe neighborhood in Chicago or Minneapolis. Down south, you might find similar neighborhoods in New Orleans

Old 07-16-2020, 10:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldcarguy49 View Post
Eugene Oregon is lovely.
Had never heard of this town will have to check it out.

Old 07-16-2020, 10:32 PM

8,498 posts, read 8,790,853 times
What about Nashville, Columbus Ohio, Annapolis MD, Richmond VA or Blacksburg VA?

Old 07-17-2020, 01:55 AM

19,030 posts, read 14,205,095 times
If you're willing to spend $1200/month on shelter, have you considered wheel estate?
A used Class A motor home (bus) would allow you the mobility and freedom to live anywhere you can park it. (That's a whole other topic...)

A small Class A, like a Tiffin Allegro 31 or 33 ft, can be had for decent price - depending on age, etc.
(Tiffin has a great reputation - unlike some other "name" RV mfgers.)
A diesel pusher will get better fuel mileage than a gas pusher... though it may be tough to find diesel fuel away from the truck routes / interstates.

$22k 2001 model:
https://www.rvuniverse.com/listing/f...s-a-motorhomes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ewCCDXTDzpI

The bus RV technology doesn't really change that much, year to year.
Noticeable changes : older buses have "old tech" - cassettes, CDs, and small LCD TVs. Newer ones have USB ports, back up cameras, and satellite receivers.

There is also a shift toward dropping the driver side door, and having only one exit on the passenger side.
That, too, may be near the front, or farther in back.

New RVs are prohibitively expensive (like quarter million), but like all vehicles, once you drive it off the lot, the used price drops. Best deals and quality are usually found in Nevada and Florida, where retirees tend to live and where the threat of salt treatment on roads is rare.

https://camperreport.com/benefits-class-a-motorhome/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.