Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-16-2020, 05:08 PM

3 posts, read 2,591 times

Advertisements

I am sure that it is a polarized opinion of these places... clearly people are drawn to them for various reasons, such as job opportunities, centrality, schooling, and so forth.

I like them because they feel super safe, because they have good access to nature, and because they're resourceful... but I can't afford a good quality of life in them.

What are some similar and/or alternatives that are more cost-friendly?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2020, 06:40 PM

8,495 posts, read 8,783,634 times
Suburbs of Portland OR? Santa Rosa, CA?

West Coast mainly or only or more open? How small is too small for the city to live on and city to work in?? Can you accept winter? Need coast or lakes?

Old 07-16-2020, 07:37 PM

1,798 posts, read 1,122,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cityseekingknowledge View Post
I am sure that it is a polarized opinion of these places... clearly people are drawn to them for various reasons, such as job opportunities, centrality, schooling, and so forth.

I like them because they feel super safe, because they have good access to nature, and because they're resourceful... but I can't afford a good quality of life in them.

What are some similar and/or alternatives that are more cost-friendly?
So you want a high-end, prosperous, and wealthy suburb for a deal?

Maybe Scottsdale or Tempe outside Phoenix. Summerlin in Vegas.

These areas are all expensive for their regions. You aren't going to find a bargain.

Old 07-16-2020, 09:21 PM

3 posts, read 2,591 times
Suburbs of Portland is a possibility... Santa Rosa is too remote.

Anywhere in the continental is applicable; besides ultra harsh winter locations. No need for coast or lakes. Needs to be in a fairly large metro area (1.5 million +)

Scottsdale is a good fit on paper; but I'm familiar with it, and it's not for me due to the desert climate.

Old 07-16-2020, 10:01 PM

8,495 posts, read 8,783,634 times
Standard names would be good neighborhoods / suburbs of Austin, Nashville and Charlotte, though they might not give you everything wanted.

Other possibilities would include Louisville KY (maybe a high end suburbs to north or northeast). 1.3 mil metro. Columbus OH doesnt meet your size criteria at all but I still think it is a decent candidate.

Perhaps you'd like Cary in the Research Triangle of NC. Or possibly Pittsburgh?

Old 07-17-2020, 09:07 AM

12,830 posts, read 9,552,972 times
Interesting. I'm moving from Bellevue to Irvine. You won't find anything like either in Austin, imo.

I was considering Camas, but I think that's a hint more rural than either.

Old 07-17-2020, 06:59 PM

3,158 posts, read 2,209,438 times
Johns Creek, GA is a northern Atlanta metro suburb that has a lower density level at this point but it has some demographic and economic similarities to Irvine and Bellevue. There is a large, heavily Asian immigrant population along with many domestic transplants, high tech industries and extremely competitive schools. It also has low crime and good quality civic amenities. Winters can be drab and chilly but are seldom harsh.

Old 07-17-2020, 09:59 PM

12,830 posts, read 9,552,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jas75 View Post
Johns Creek, GA is a northern Atlanta metro suburb that has a lower density level at this point but it has some demographic and economic similarities to Irvine and Bellevue. There is a large, heavily Asian immigrant population along with many domestic transplants, high tech industries and extremely competitive schools. It also has low crime and good quality civic amenities. Winters can be drab and chilly but are seldom harsh.
Could work. Allen, Plano and Sugarland would fit the bill as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.