Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2020, 08:11 PM

795 posts, read 481,572 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
Sports honestly is really high up there.

I think a big thing is the Red Sox, Yankees, Cubs, Dodgers, Lakers, Rockets, Knocks, Bulls, Warriors, and Celtics have a global brand the Wizards, Hawks, Pistons, Tigers, Phillies, and Nationals don’t.

The Orginal 6 have some currency in the Nordic countries and Russia (perhaps the Caps with Ovi)

And no NFL teams really do.

You're right - good point, I totally forgot sports! (You can tell I am not really a sports guy).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2020, 08:12 PM

4,344 posts, read 2,800,948 times
Quote:

I think a big thing is the Red Sox, Yankees, Cubs, Dodgers, Lakers, Rockets, Knicks, Bulls, Warriors, and Celtics have a global brand the Wizards, Hawks, Pistons, Tigers, Phillies, and Nationals don’t. Especially in a measure of online presence vs something like visitor numbers.

The Orginal 6 have some currency in the Nordic countries and Russia (perhaps the Caps with Ovi)

Funny how the Knicks seem to be way more popular abroad than they are here

Old 07-21-2020, 08:16 PM

6,804 posts, read 6,027,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vincent_Adultman View Post
For what? I said it’s developed by a bank/government consulting agency. That’s a private business.

https://www.ing.com/Home.htm
Ah, ok. The ING one wasn’t the one that used the Boston-Quincy metro division as far as I know. The other poster and I were talking about the .gov source.

Old 07-21-2020, 08:33 PM

2,304 posts, read 1,708,857 times
Quote:

I think a big thing is the Red Sox, Yankees, Cubs, Dodgers, Lakers, Rockets, Knicks, Bulls, Warriors, and Celtics have a global brand the Wizards, Hawks, Pistons, Tigers, Phillies, and Nationals don’t. Especially in a measure of online presence vs something like visitor numbers.

Agreed - in the early-mid 90s Seattle’s international recognition was based almost entirely on Grunge, the movie Sleepless in Seattle, and the Sonics (and maybe Boeing). That’s part of why losing the Sonics in 2008 hurt so much and is still such a sore spot for locals.. Although Seattle had become more well known for various other things by then, it was losing what had been one of its main pillars of global recognition for decades.

Old 07-21-2020, 08:37 PM

36,653 posts, read 67,476,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vincent_Adultman View Post
https://static1.squarespace.com/stat...ies-report.pdf

This source is which you keep referencing is heavily, heavily biased towards Europe
Furthermore, a bunch of tweets from European vacationers and wannabes(lmao) doesnt equate to Miami having more "worldwide prominence' than DC or SF, because it doesnt.

Cute tho.

Old 07-21-2020, 08:58 PM

626 posts, read 462,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vocal Banned View Post

This is also supported by international visitation, another measurable means of discerning international recognition:

https://travel.trade.gov/outreachpag...ed%202019.xlsx

It's crazy how South Florida ranks on that international visitation spreadsheet. Miami, Fort Lauderdale, West Palm Beach and Key West are all ranked separately and all four are in the top 25 metros. Fort Lauderdale alone has almost the same amount as Atlanta and Denver combined. Amazing numbers.

Old 07-21-2020, 09:07 PM

73 posts, read 47,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
Furthermore, a bunch of tweets from European vacationers and wannabes(lmao) doesnt equate to Miami having more "worldwide prominence' than DC or SF, because it doesnt.

Cute tho.
Omg is this real life? He’s literally arguing the same exact thing you are. Smfh

Old 07-21-2020, 09:08 PM

405 posts, read 196,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by popka View Post
It's crazy how South Florida ranks on that international visitation spreadsheet. Miami, Fort Lauderdale, West Palm Beach and Key West are all ranked separately and all four are in the top 25 metros. Fort Lauderdale alone has almost the same amount as Atlanta and Denver combined. Amazing numbers.
There's def some overlap involved. SoCal has 5 of the top 32 - LA/OC/SD/Riverside/Santa Barbara. People in both states are going to different markets, no doubt.
NYc is also split.

San Luis Obispo over Jackonsville is really surprising.

Last edited by Keyser S; 07-21-2020 at 09:17 PM..

Old 07-21-2020, 09:23 PM

6,784 posts, read 4,224,158 times
Overrating the importance of social media...which is mostly used by a certain type of person and excludes much of the older generations. Not surprisingly done by an agency trying to get cities to spend money on digital city marketing.

Also, the methodology's foolishness is perfectly illustrated by Liverpool. People aren't talking about the city of Liverpool, they're talking about the football club which as far as most of the people talking about them online are concerned may as well play on Mars. It's so bad that if I google "Liverpool" I have to go to Page 4 of the results to find the first hits that concern the city and not the football club.

Old 07-21-2020, 09:57 PM

2,304 posts, read 1,708,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Veritas Vincit View Post
Overrating the importance of social media...which is mostly used by a certain type of person and excludes much of the older generations. Not surprisingly done by an agency trying to get cities to spend money on digital city marketing.

Also, the methodology's foolishness is perfectly illustrated by Liverpool. People aren't talking about the city of Liverpool, they're talking about the football club which as far as most of the people talking about them online are concerned may as well play on Mars. It's so bad that if I google "Liverpool" I have to go to Page 4 of the results to find the first hits that concern the city and not the football club.
Yes. A thousand times yes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.