Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2020, 08:52 AM

27,555 posts, read 28,641,455 times

Advertisements

I have been to the Adirondacks. The trees there look much more deciduous than the pictures of the Pacific Northwest that I’ve seen.

I have been to Lake Tahoe and the forests around there have far more tall pine trees as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2020, 02:48 AM

49 posts, read 81,732 times
We currently live in SW Washington and I have hiked all over the state and Oregon. We also lived in the Catskills and honeymooned at Lake Placid, NY.

There is no beating the PNW for beauty. The ADKs come close but it's a different kind of beauty if that makes any sense. The trees out here in WA are just enormous both in height and sometimes circumference as well. Getting up into the Olympic Pensinsula you start to feel like you're in the Redwoods park they are so large. Fir, hemlock, spruce, pine ect. are all abundant up here and the moss that hangs from the limbs I haven't really seen in the same fashion in NY. The other thing as was previously mentioned is that there are more deciduous trees mixed in in the ADKs and Catskills whereas in the PNW all you see is a sea of evergreens for miles and miles...then a mountain then more trees...and maybe a lake and possibly several lost hikers filtering water from said lake....I say that as someone who has nearly died a couple of times out here in the wilderness.

If you want PNW trees in upstate NY then you need to get up into the Lake Placid, Tupper Lake area in my opinion but even then it's close but not the same. As someone else said, pine is more on the eastern side of the Cascades in areas like Bend, OR ... Spokane, Wa ... Wenatchee, WA ect. Another difference is that the evergreens here, being taller, have a lot of trunk with no limbs closer to the ground a lot of times so it's this big cathedral type area and then a canopy that can get pretty dark even on a sunny day. However where upstate wins is Fall colors but even here it comes damn close to rivaling New England Fall colors the way the orange and yellow contrasts with the deep greens.

Honestly to put it simply I'd say the PNW is more vast, thick, rugged and taller trees while upstate has more charm, more accessibility and more mixed trees.

Don't know if that helped but hey, I love the trees too!

Where is Bob Ross when you need him?

Last edited by Landslide84; 07-24-2020 at 02:58 AM..

Old 07-24-2020, 06:23 PM

606 posts, read 419,195 times
Having been to both the PNW and Upstate NY both places are very green and very pretty.

Old 07-24-2020, 08:41 PM

6,613 posts, read 16,576,265 times
Having spent time hiking in both, I agree with fully Landslide84. I'm a native NYer, but gotta say, the PNW does have a bit more panache than the Adirondacks (and the Appalachians, too).

Old 07-24-2020, 11:12 PM

9,398 posts, read 8,866,194 times
Evergreens are common west of the Cascade crest in Washington State, Pines are common east of the Cascade crest in Washington State. It is simply due to a drier climate east of the crest. There are exceptions, for sure, but this is the general rule.

Old 07-25-2020, 10:53 AM

27,555 posts, read 28,641,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Around View Post
Having spent time hiking in both, I agree with fully Landslide84. I'm a native NYer, but gotta say, the PNW does have a bit more panache than the Adirondacks (and the Appalachians, too).
However, it is a much narrower stretch of green than what you find in the eastern U.S.

Old 07-27-2020, 11:29 AM

5,349 posts, read 5,125,268 times
It would be cool if they did more transplanting of west coast species to the east. Stuff that may not have survived 4000 years ago might thrive today.

Old 07-27-2020, 03:03 PM

1,131 posts, read 1,260,801 times
Why would it be cool to bring in more invasives?

Old 07-27-2020, 03:04 PM

8,975 posts, read 10,204,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tovarisch View Post
Why would it be cool to bring in more invasives?
Yeah, from a conversation standpoint, not a great idea. It would be to the detriment of the native species.

Old 07-27-2020, 04:53 PM

2,991 posts, read 3,418,608 times
PNW stays green in winter. Adirondacks less green in winter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.