Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2020, 06:00 PM

213 posts, read 132,251 times

Advertisements

Why or why not?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2020, 06:08 PM

12,853 posts, read 9,587,241 times
Irvine....I'm hopeful but am also worried. We seem to be headed for a lot of issues with China and people are exiting California. However, it is a very coveted place to live.

Old 07-29-2020, 08:18 PM

10,503 posts, read 7,050,936 times
I'm in Birmingham. Forty years ago, we had the country's worst unemployment, on par with Flint, Michigan. A used-up industrial town whose downtown was imploding and its main industry of steelmaking had shut down. Even worse, the city's racist past had completely destroyed its reputation with balkanized suburbs. It didn't help that we had to contend with the idiot state government in Montgomery.

Slowly but surely, the city's economy began to diversify into healthcare, banking, publishing, and other manufacturing. The pace was sometimes grinding, the changes were incremental, but the changes came nonetheless. And there were setbacks, chiefly when the banking meltdown hit in 2008. Before that, four superregionals sat on the same street corner facing one another. Within months, two of them were gone, not to mention a lot of jobs.

But again, Birmingham kept making strides. The most visible example is the almost complete renaissance of the city's once-deserted downtown. The economy keeps diversifying. It's gaining a reputation as a minor foodie town. And the city has low unemployment.

Most importantly, the old mossbacks that held us back, particularly in terms of the civil rights era, are all dying off. Cooperation between cities in the metro area is taking place in ways unheard of even ten years ago.

Hey, I'm not trying to oversell things. Lots of work to do. But it's a bazillion times better than what it once was, and certainly defies the stereotypes of what we once were.

So, yeah, I feel pretty good about my city's future.

Old 07-29-2020, 11:08 PM

2,868 posts, read 2,825,123 times
Alexandria, VA, has a good future ahead of it. If anything, I'm worried about growth being too quick. I haven't bought a home yet but prices are going through the roof. They're already higher than D.C. proper and Amazon HQ2 will just accelerate those trends.

For a 15 square mile city, however, Alexandria has very strong bones.

Old Town Alexandria is becoming less of a destination though as D.C. has upped its offerings, Fairfax has Mosaic, PG County now has National Harbor, Tysons has ballooned in size. So I think Old Town will have to reinvent itself. Lots of food offerings, but shopping is atrocious (unless you're a grandma who likes antiques and wallflower and Christian bookstores).

Old 07-30-2020, 01:00 AM

9,818 posts, read 7,944,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MinivanDriver View Post
I'm in Birmingham. Forty years ago, we had the country's worst unemployment, on par with Flint, Michigan. A used-up industrial town whose downtown was imploding and its main industry of steelmaking had shut down. Even worse, the city's racist past had completely destroyed its reputation with balkanized suburbs. It didn't help that we had to contend with the idiot state government in Montgomery.

Slowly but surely, the city's economy began to diversify into healthcare, banking, publishing, and other manufacturing. The pace was sometimes grinding, the changes were incremental, but the changes came nonetheless. And there were setbacks, chiefly when the banking meltdown hit in 2008. Before that, four superregionals sat on the same street corner facing one another. Within months, two of them were gone, not to mention a lot of jobs.

But again, Birmingham kept making strides. The most visible example is the almost complete renaissance of the city's once-deserted downtown. The economy keeps diversifying. It's gaining a reputation as a minor foodie town. And the city has low unemployment.

Most importantly, the old mossbacks that held us back, particularly in terms of the civil rights era, are all dying off. Cooperation between cities in the metro area is taking place in ways unheard of even ten years ago.

Hey, I'm not trying to oversell things. Lots of work to do. But it's a bazillion times better than what it once was, and certainly defies the stereotypes of what we once were.

So, yeah, I feel pretty good about my city's future.
Excellent post, MinivanDriver! It's a beautiful place full of friendly people, on a very positive trajectory. It's a shame that it flies under the radar here. The revitalization of Downtown is beyond impressive, and I totally agree that the future looks good for the area.

Old 07-30-2020, 08:40 AM

7,778 posts, read 10,172,710 times
Well I am an optimist in general.

Cautiously optimistic about Miami's future, although long term I believe there's a cap to its growth due to sea level rise.

Jax I'm a bit more bullish on...the growth and long term potential is strong and will only improve if/when they get the right leadership in place. What they've accomplished over the past 2 decades with mostly crappy leadership is astounding.

Old 07-30-2020, 09:27 AM

144 posts, read 81,144 times
I see a bright future in my city, but I am also very worried, not only for my city, but for the entire world. Things are going pretty bad everywhere and I just hope for the best.

Old 07-30-2020, 09:47 AM

12,169 posts, read 8,036,941 times
Boston? Yeah. It's the nation's leader in Healthcare, Education and Biotech/Biochemistry/Life Sciences Research.. which are probably the three most important fields in today's climate. I think it will see a bright future, but housing costs and infrastructure definitely limit how much it can grow or if it can sustain being the nation's leader in the three fields. But for the immediate future, I cannot see Boston doing as bad as other cities. It has the ingredients.. but let's see if it can bake the cake.

Central New Jersey area? I think this area will do well. As New Yorkers fleeing to everywhere outside NYC, NJ is becoming a hot bed for relocation. Parts of CNJ are 45 from Manhattan and 45 from the beaches. It makes it ideal to live and work .. while staying affordable. The climate is also great instead of moving too far south where it gets sticky and hot. So yeah, I see it going down a positive trend as well.

Old 07-30-2020, 10:22 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,260,275 times
I live in Sammamish WA, population about 65,000, with great schools, very little crime, and a few small developments of new homes starting over $1 million. We bought here for the reasons above, and have stayed 27 years so far raising 3 kids here. I don't see any reason that would change, with so many people wanting to live here, and so many high paying jobs in the region that people can afford to buy here.

What Makes Sammamish America's Friendliest Town? - Performance Journeys

https://patch.com/colorado/littleton...ton-makes-list

https://patch.com/washington/sammami...ew-report-says

Old 07-30-2020, 10:35 AM

240 posts, read 130,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
Irvine....I'm hopeful but am also worried. We seem to be headed for a lot of issues with China and people are exiting California. However, it is a very coveted place to live.
A lot of them are heading to Nashville where the future is very bright.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.