Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2020, 04:38 AM

1,948 posts, read 1,515,483 times

Advertisements

The equestrian life is everywhere in the South. Aiken is just not somewhere I'd be wanting to move to--given the choice. If I was going to be moving to South Carolina, it would be to the Northwest SC area west of Greenville.

Have you considered southern Middle Tennessee? Every kind of horses are found there--from walkers to American Saddlebreds to quarter horses to thoroughbred hunter-jumpers. And they don't have the oppressive South Carolina ad valorem taxes on vehicles and boats. The area is especially green and lush with rolling hills, etc. And the medical community could service your husband's medical needs better. And the quality of life is very good.

We once were filming an advertisement for my company and used a horse farm outside of Franklin, TN. We were looking at a beautiful thoroughbred in his stall. The owner casually mentioned that the horse won 2 Gold Medals in the last Olympics. That's pretty serious.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2020, 07:25 AM

37,881 posts, read 41,933,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamaman1 View Post
The equestrian life is everywhere in the South.
Not really. Some towns are truly built around horses to an extent that others aren't, and Aiken is one of those towns. It's also a pretty town with a quaint downtown. Anyone wanting to live in the small-town South with a fair amount of amenities and not being that far from a larger city would do pretty well to choose Aiken.

Old 08-06-2020, 10:21 AM

30,976 posts, read 21,630,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KarrieLV View Post
I may be uninformed, but OK screams tornadoes to me! LOL
Where in OK are there no tornadoes?
In the small towns of Oklahoma tornadoes are rare. My town hasn't been hit by a tornado since 1990. The two biggest Oklahoma metros are more subject to tornadoes, because they are much bigger targets. Really and truly, a bigger complaint about how bad Oklahoma weather can get is the high humid heat of the summer and sometimes ice storms in the winter. Rural people have had their electricity out for over a week due to ice storms. Oh, yeah, big hail storms are a pain, too. Outsiders don't like all that and helps keep outsiders out, while keeping the cost of living lower in Oklahoma than most other states.

Oklahoma is a major horse state. It's no. 4 for total number of horses, putting it one notch ahead of a better known state for horses--Kentucky.

Old 08-06-2020, 10:29 AM

30,976 posts, read 21,630,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Not really. Some towns are truly built around horses to an extent that others aren't, and Aiken is one of those towns. It's also a pretty town with a quaint downtown. Anyone wanting to live in the small-town South with a fair amount of amenities and not being that far from a larger city would do pretty well to choose Aiken.

Guthrie is a quaint town with most of his downtown frontier architecture still preserved. Nearby is Lazy E Ranch, which has a leading race horse breeding operation. It's a short drive to Oklahoma City.

Old 08-06-2020, 02:13 PM

6,772 posts, read 4,514,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Aiken is a big horse town, so it makes sense. The OP should also look into Camden which is also horse country in SC.
I literally was getting ready to type this /\, lol. Mutiny77 usualy has great posts and suggestions. Camden SC is a great horse area. It's near Columbia, one of the best small metros in the nation. Lake Wateree is nearby for great kayaking (I'm a kayaker myself). Aiken is good too, but I'd personally prefer Camden. Either way, it'd be a good choice.

Old 08-06-2020, 02:18 PM

17,790 posts, read 13,682,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by march2 View Post
I literally was getting ready to type this /\, lol. Mutiny77 usualy has great posts and suggestions. Camden SC is a great horse area. It's near Columbia, one of the best small metros in the nation. Lake Wateree is nearby for great kayaking (I'm a kayaker myself). Aiken is good too, but I'd personally prefer Camden. Either way, it'd be a good choice.
I am from Oklahoma and as has been stated...this place is horse crazy.

But if you look up "horse country in South Carolina" almost all the links take you to Aiken.

Here is but one of them. It is a brief but interesting read.

https://www.wheretraveler.com/play/a...-obsessed-city
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.