Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2020, 09:32 PM

8,480 posts, read 4,724,709 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTimidBlueBars View Post
Huh, that's weird. Try this
Oh yeah. That’s definitely my cup of tea
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2020, 09:33 PM

8,480 posts, read 4,724,709 times
I can’t believe I didn’t mention the Bay Area. Gone for 15 years, but apparently I still take it for granted.

Old 08-09-2020, 01:46 AM

6,137 posts, read 3,859,906 times
I would say for me it would be Ogden, Utah and Duluth, Minnesota. I really like the landscape and geography around Salt Lake, but Ogden seems to have alot more trees and foilage pound for pound.

-Ogden, Utah: The mountains are directly West of the city and they snowcapped while the city itself is very lush for a western city. I like the architecture of many of the homes and the different types of trees that seemed to have been planted very long ago. It just is a lush version of a Western city with the a big mountain towering over it.

-Duluth, MN: An ultra-green city full of trees, excellent parks, Walking up Enger Park Tower with a view of Lake Superior, the neighborhoods north of the city along Lake Superior, the bridges, has some great architecture.

Some others I really liked were Pittsburgh with the hills, bridges and green foilage. San Bernadino with it's lushness and huge mountains towering over it. Las Cruces and the Organ Mountains and Pecan trees south of it that go on for miles.

Old 08-10-2020, 01:04 PM

795 posts, read 481,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guineas View Post
Seattle man. An hour and half from Mount Rainier, one of the largest active stratovolcanoes in the world.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lkt48E34Tno

Seattle is surrounded by Puget Sound, a large fjord, on the west, the Olympic mountain range further west, the Cascades on the east, Mount Rainier to the south, and Vancouver and BC to the north. Three national parks plus BC parks within 2 hours.

Very pretty! Reminds me of the mountains of Greece. Not sure if anyone else thought that too.

Old 08-10-2020, 04:00 PM

8,489 posts, read 8,771,754 times
Mount Olympus Greece
https://images.app.goo.gl/Wvxz2v7xGfEZns25A

Well, early Washingtonians did pick Olympic Mountains, Mount Olympus and city of Olympia names.

Old 08-12-2020, 09:13 AM

5,349 posts, read 5,123,798 times
Strange Denver and SLC have been brought up multiple times but not Colorado Springs. The city setting is better than Denver's, being closer to the mountains and the mountains rising faster than Denver's more gradual foothills. Garden of the Gods > Red Rocks. There's a reason the Broadmoor (5 star hotel) is located where it is. Denver is closer to more activities and the spine of the Front Range while Pikes Peak is a blob unto itself, but COS does have a better setting. People say there's nothing like SLC, but COS is kind of like it, different arrangement and climate (drier mountains), but similar.

Old 08-12-2020, 11:26 AM

16,069 posts, read 10,726,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTimidBlueBars View Post
I'm really kicking myself for not venturing into BC before COVID struck. Who knows when I'll be able to now
Years ago you could make a circle trip going northeast out of Vancouver on BC Rail up to Prince George BC and then catch the Canadian VIA Rail west to Prince Report on the Pacific and then BC Ferries down through the inside passage to Port Hardy on Vancouver Island and thence to Victoria and finally a ferry back to Vancouver. It was inclusive of hotels and not very expensive (Canadian dollars). It isn't offered any more as the Canadian National took over rail operations but it was a gorgeous, eye-popping trip and most of BC would be a national park in the US. Now they have a nine-day trip from Vancouver to Banff and back again that costs an arm and a leg and has no inside passage leg. You have to go clear to Jasper to get to Prince George now. You might be able to cobble a longer scenic trip together (Vancouver-Jasper-Prince George-Prince Rupert-Ferry to Port Hardy-bus to Victoria-ferry to Vancouver). The train stops overnight in Prince George (need a hotel).
https://www.theguardian.com/travel/2...-rail-journeys

Old 08-12-2020, 11:33 AM

6,895 posts, read 5,855,832 times
Pretty much every coastal community on the Gulf of Alaska.

Old 08-13-2020, 06:23 AM

10,744 posts, read 23,798,187 times
In the US, the outlier states of Hawaii and Alaska have the most impressive landscapes with the most wow factor for me.

I really like the red rock country and National Parks of Utah and Arizona. Also in the Southwest I love the Saguaro cacti covered landscapes of the Sonoran Desert, particularly near Tuscon.

The volcanic peaks of the Cascades and the wild coasts of Oregon and Olympic National Park in WA are pretty awesome.

For the beaches on the East Coast, the barrier islands of the North Carolina coast around the Outer Banks and Cape Lookout are my favorite.

To live and enjoy on the daily, I like northern New England the best. Toss up between the Maine coast or the lakes and mountains of Vermont.

Last edited by Champ le monstre du lac; 08-13-2020 at 06:49 AM..

Old 08-13-2020, 08:55 AM

1,228 posts, read 796,359 times
https://goo.gl/maps/sAsRCoDCXVA68CcQ8

Thinking back to my younger years, the Miracle Strip Parkway (US 98) that connects Destin to Ft. Walton Beach Florida was a beautiful sight to behold. You get glimpses of the Gulf of Mexico on one side and the bay on the other, peeking over rolling white, powdery sand dunes.

Last edited by RaleighSentinel; 08-13-2020 at 09:14 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.