Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2008, 08:39 PM

2,915 posts, read 3,515,167 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
No, it's an inferiority complex. Always telling yourself that you and your region is better than another region and there people for NO good reason at all is an inferiority complex.

Wow, you are so full of yourself, which is typical of psued-intellectual types. If anything the Bay Area is a bubble of ignorance. It is has one of the LEAST diverse electorates of any major metropolitan area. When people talk about diversity they sure as hell aren't talking about diverse values, opinions, and viewpoints b/c most people there think and vote the same way. It's so easy sit around in some ideological circle jerk with others like yourself agreeing with each other and getting a false sense that you are right and everyone else is wrong. Sf and Berkeley do an amazing job at that; yeah a city where 97% of the people vote for the same presidential candidate is "diversity". I love it when people from the Bay Area talk about how they are more "aware, informed, intelligent, ect.." than everyone else to justify their narrow viewpoints. The "Smug Alert" South Park episode pretty much hit the nail on the head when it came to that BS. At least in Southern CA there are more diversity when it comes to values, thoughts, opinions, ect....

Conde Nast appeals to certain types of people and of course those types love SF, that magazine is hardly a reflection of the average tourist in the US. But it's not the most visited city in America OR California by a long shot. Both LA and SD get more visitors than SF. I'm not saying SF is not a great tourist destination but it's not the best.

Funny story about out of staters and their opinions on SF and SD. This past February I took 4 of my friends from the Bay Area and 5 of my friends from San Diego to New Orleans for Mardi Gras. And whenever people asked us where we were from we'd say the Bay Area and San Diego. Almost all the people said nice, complimenting things about SD but very few said much about the Bay Area. They didn't say anything negative,but nothing really positive either. This drove my Bay Area friends nuts and they started saying SD sucks, ect... then I'd ask why and the typical response was "the bay is just better". Very typical of an INFERIORITY COMPLEX. It bugged the hell out of them people there had a better opinion of SD than SF.

This is probably one of the best descriptions of SF I have seen: We, Like Sheep: Why I hate San Francisco

Man you are really arrogant and full of yourself and totally typical of the Bay Area stereotype people hate.
I agree with everything you said, that guys attitude is what has turned me off to SF, most people I have met from there are like that. By the way, he forgot to mention and subsequently try to rationalize why SF now has a higher crime rate than both SD and LA!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2008, 08:51 PM

22 posts, read 78,983 times
It's always been amusing to me when San Franciscans think their little home town is on par with cities like New York, London and Paris.

LOL!!

San Fran is a 3rd tier city and will always be.

Old 05-01-2008, 09:45 PM

36,653 posts, read 67,487,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
No, it's an inferiority complex. Always telling yourself that you and your region is better than another region and there people for NO good reason at all is an inferiority complex.
Why would we feel inferior to a place that is beneath us in almost every imaginable measure?

Quote:
If anything the Bay Area is a bubble of ignorance.
We have nothing on SoCal when it comes to racial tension and racial and socio-economic polarization.

[quote]It is has one of the LEAST diverse electorates of any major metropolitan area. When people talk about diversity they sure as hell aren't talking about diverse values, opinions, and viewpoints b/c most people there think and vote the same way.

Quote:
It's so easy sit around in some ideological circle jerk with others like yourself agreeing with each other and getting a false sense that you are right and everyone else is wrong.
Where the hell have you been the last 7.5 years? We were right and people on the other side of aisle were indeed WRONG.

Quote:
SF and Berkeley do an amazing job at that; yeah a city where 97% of the people vote for the same presidential candidate is "diversity".
When your right, your right. Highly Educated people tend to think the same way.

Quote:
I love it when people from the Bay Area talk about how they are more "aware, informed, intelligent, ect.."
In many ways, we are. And usually about 10-20 years later, the rest of the country finally catches up.

Quote:
At least in Southern CA there are more diversity when it comes to values, thoughts, opinions, ect....
And that's really working out isnt it?*not*

Quote:
And whenever people asked us where we were from we'd say the Bay Area and San Diego. Almost all the people said nice, complimenting things about SD but very few said much about the Bay Area.
That's funny cause when I lived in the Upper West Side of Manhattan, people gushed over San Francisco all the time. in fact, the main line they would say was "That's the only place in California worth living in".

Perhaps its a matter of what kind of person your talking to.

Quote:
Man you are really arrogant and full of yourself
Thanks again for yet another compliment, forgive me if I dont return the favor, its just that I dont engage in such maturity.

Quote:
and totally typical of the Bay Area stereotype people hate.
Uh, anyway,
next time your in Walnut Creek, I highly recommend eating at Va De Vi, a great restaurant there. The food is divine.

Old 05-01-2008, 09:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by USCA1200 View Post
It's always been amusing to me when San Franciscans think their little home town is on par with cities like New York, London and Paris.
Actually a good many Londoners and Parisians think that too.

Quote:
How The World Views Its Cities

The Presence
This point of the City Brand Hexagon is
all about the city’s international status and
standing. In this section, we ask how
familiar people are with each of the 60
cities in the survey, whether they have
actually visited them or not, and ask what
the cities are famous for. We also ask
whether each city has made an important
contribution to the world in culture,
science, or in the way cities are governed,
during the last 30 years.

The Place
Here, we explore people’s perceptions
about the physical aspect of each city: How
pleasant or unpleasant they imagine it to be
outdoors and to travel around the city, how
beautiful it is, and what the climate is like.

The Potential
This point of the City Brand Hexagon
considers the economic and educational
opportunities that each city is believed to
offer visitors, businesses and immigrants.
We ask our global panel how easy they
think it would be to find a job in the city,
and if they had a business, how good of
a place they think it would be to do
business. Finally, we ask whether each
city would be a good place for them or
other family members to get a higher
educational qualification.

The Pulse
The appeal of a vibrant urban lifestyle is an
important part of each city’s brand image.
In this section, we explore how exciting
people think the cities are, and ask how
easy they think it would be to find
interesting things to do, both as a shortterm
visitor and a long-term resident.

The People
The people make the city, and in this point
of the hexagon, we ask whether our
respondents think the inhabitants would be
warm and friendly, or cold and prejudiced
against outsiders. We ask whether they
think it would be easy for them to find
and fit into a community that shares their
language and culture. Finally, and very
importantly, we ask our global panel how
safe they think they would feel in the city.

The Prerequisites
This is the section where we ask people
about how they perceive the basic qualities
of the city: What they think it would be
like to live there, how easy they think it
would be to find satisfactory, affordable
accommodation, and what they believe
the general standard of public amenities
is like – schools, hospitals, public transport,
sports facilities, and so on.

For the 2006 edition of the Anholt City Brands Index, we have doubled the
number of cities included in the survey, from 30 to 60. The new cities included in the survey are: Melbourne, Montreal, Vancouver, Copenhagen, Munich, Boston, Las Vegas, Seattle, Chicago, Atlanta, Dublin, Philadelphia, Oslo, Lisbon, Helsinki, Dallas, New Orleans, St. Petersburg, Buenos Aires, Seoul, Reykjavik, Budapest, Shanghai, Warsaw, Havana, Jerusalem, Bangkok, Dubrovnik, Manila and Nairobi.

The survey was conducted online
among 15,255 men and women aged
18-64 from a wide range of income
groups in the following countries:
Australia, Brazil, Canada, China,
Denmark, France, Germany, India, Italy,
Japan, Korea, Malaysia, Mexico, the
Netherlands, New Zealand, Poland,
Russia, Spain, the United Kingdom
and the United States.

2006 City Brands Index
1 Sydney
2 London
3 Paris
4 Rome
5 New York
6 Washington DC
7 San Francisco
8 Melbourne
9 Barcelona
10 Geneva
11 Amsterdam
12 Madrid
13 Montreal
14 Toronto
15 Los Angeles
16 Vancouver
17 Berlin
18 Brussels
19 Milan
20 Copenhagen
21 Munich
22 Tokyo
23 Boston
24 Las Vegas
25 Seattle
26 Stockholm
27 Chicago
28 Atlanta
29 Dublin
30 Ediburgh
31 Philadelphia
32 Oslo
33 Lisbon
34 Prague
35 Singapore
36 Helsinki
37 Hong Kong
38 Dallas
39 New Orleans
40 St Petersburg(Russia)
41 Rio de Janeiro
42 Buenos Aires
43 Beijing
44 Seoul
45 Reykjavik
46 Budapest
47 Shanghai
48 Moscow
49 Johannesburg
50 Mexico City
51 Warsaw
52 Havana
53 Jerusalem
54 Bangkok
55 Cairo
56 Dubrovnik
57 Mumbai
58 Manila
59 Lagos
60 Nairobi

http://www.citybrandsindex.com/downl...06-q4-free.pdf

Old 05-01-2008, 10:40 PM

1,119 posts, read 2,741,428 times
SF is well known to tourists and foreigners thanks to its natural beauty and famous sights, which I think it is quite similar to the case of Sydney. Again, this is nothing more than just a worldwide survey about the world's most favorite cities.

Unfortunately, American scholars do not think SF shares the same caliber as the big 3..New York, Chicago & LA. Therefore, I find it's just ridiculous and full of ignorance if someone thinks SF is on par with NY, London, Paris when it still has not reached the level of Chicago & LA.

New York, Chicago, Los Angeles (http://www.upress.umn.edu/books/a/abulughod_ny.html - broken link)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
Actually a good many Londoners and Parisians think that too.

Old 05-01-2008, 11:29 PM

145 posts, read 508,837 times
Montclair...i commend you. I love your posts

Old 05-01-2008, 11:39 PM

21,618 posts, read 31,189,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnc76 View Post
San Francisco has a lot of wealth. We all know that. For God's sake, do you need to post a new list every few days that is some kind of variation on the same theme. "Cities with most millionaires", "Cities with most billionaires", "Cities with most houses valued over $1 million", "Cities with the most people obsessed with rich people"...
I'd have to agree with this. rnc - you said what everyone else was thinking.

Quote:
Speaking of intelligence and a high level of education, it's spelled "you're."

Last edited by kidyankee764; 05-01-2008 at 11:48 PM..

Old 05-02-2008, 01:07 AM

18,980 posts, read 32,634,523 times
Quote:
Why would we feel inferior to a place that is beneath us in almost every imaginable measure?

We have nothing on SoCal when it comes to racial tension and racial and socio-economic polarization.
Really, then what the do you think is going on in Richmond, Oakland, Hunter's Point, Bayview, ect... ?

Quote:
Where the hell have you been the last 7.5 years? We were right and people on the other side of aisle were indeed WRONG.
wrong about what? the war? Bush? Yeah b/c the Bay Area was the only place where people were against the war or Bush......

Quote:

In many ways, we are. And usually about 10-20 years later, the rest of the country finally catches up.

And that's really working out isnt it?*not*
haha, this is too funny. It's like your a walking stereotype. The Bay Area doesn't rank as having the best quality of life or is ever rated as the best place to live in the country. You still have crime, poverty, traffic, pollution, congestion, affordable housing crisis, ect.... like everyone else. So how exactly are you ahead of everyone?

Quote:
Perhaps its a matter of what kind of person your talking to.
I'm sure it is, don't really care to associate with people that have such a snobby attitude.

Old 05-02-2008, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by downtown1 View Post

Unfortunately, American scholars do not think SF shares the same caliber as the big 3..New York, Chicago & LA.
New York, Chicago, Los Angeles (http://www.upress.umn.edu/books/a/abulughod_ny.html - broken link)
But that's just it, SF's is far stronger globally than nationally. Thanks for confirming what I've already said at least 10 times before.

Old 05-02-2008, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post

Speaking of intelligence and a high level of education, it's spelled "you're."
You have figured it out, we're not(quite) Gods after all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.