Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2020, 01:54 PM

17,795 posts, read 13,692,692 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by latterobin View Post
Besides Berkshire Hathaway is there any other big company? Also, Omaha seems to be in the middle of nowhere. Could you compare Omaha to Wichita, because I have a return offer available there.

As a city, Omaha probably more highly regarded than Wichita. But Wichita isn't a horrible place despite what people say. Plains cities don't have a lot of the pizzaz of cities in other areas.

If you are going to consider a place like Wichita, then I'd say Albuquerque might be a place to look at because it has really nice weather and more outdoor stuff. Wichita and Omaha are much more limited in that respect.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2020, 01:57 PM

1,804 posts, read 1,954,550 times
If someone suggest New York, I'd honestly would try for in or near the big cities of California if you land a good job and are willing to live with roomates to make it more affordable. It checks off much of your boxes and statistician jobs are valuable with its many tech-oriented industries and firms, especially if you graduated from a good school with a good GPA. It's a lot more interesting and exciting for a young single lady like you are than a place like Raleigh, which gears more towards the married couples & family lifestyle away from the colleges. It has the mild winters, not too much rain, many safe communities with good transit, and of course the pay would be better than in most of the choices you have suggested. You're young just once, and now would be the time to really experience the California lifestyle. Dallas is increasingly resemble CA anyways as the time passes on, just without the breathtaking scenery or coast.

Old 08-11-2020, 02:52 PM

12,166 posts, read 8,014,676 times
If you can find a job in Nashville, do it.
It seems like a lot of people in our 20s move to. Seems to be the place to be since im in the 21-25 age cohort.

Old 08-11-2020, 03:49 PM

482 posts, read 1,331,720 times
Quote:
Besides Berkshire Hathaway is there any other big company? Also, Omaha seems to be in the middle of nowhere. Could you compare Omaha to Wichita, because I have a return offer available there.
Here is a list of the 10 companies in Omaha that are either fortune 500 or 1000.
https://omaha.com/money/fortune-500-...316d908.html#1

And here is an LA Times article comparing Omaha and Wichita.
https://www.latimes.com/world-nation...ost-prosperity

Old 08-11-2020, 07:29 PM

561 posts, read 514,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by laserdisque View Post
Here is a list of the 10 companies in Omaha that are either fortune 500 or 1000.
https://omaha.com/money/fortune-500-...316d908.html#1

And here is an LA Times article comparing Omaha and Wichita.
https://www.latimes.com/world-nation...ost-prosperity
Thank you for posting those links.

By most every metric, Omaha blows Wichita away (albeit Omaha is a larger metro by nearly 350,000 people)..

From a big business perspective, “middle of nowhere†Omaha boasts more Fortune 500/1000 companies of any metro in its 1 million to 1.5 million metro size range.

I said in another post on this forum, Omaha gets overlooked, minimized and underrated by most forum members on City-Data who have little to no familiarity with the city/metro. I definitey believe this is a place the OP should at least look into without brushing off.

Last edited by Mighty Joe Young; 08-11-2020 at 07:45 PM..

Old 08-11-2020, 11:05 PM

61 posts, read 63,208 times
There are so many excellent cities for you to pick from. It sounds like you may enjoy any large metro in California based solely on your weather criteria. Keep in mind that the cost of living is very high in these places, so you may need roommates once you arrive. East of the Rockies, I think Nashville, Washington DC, Raleigh, Charleston SC, and Atlanta could also be good options for you. Washington DC is the coolest in the winter (similar to Louisville), with Charleston and ATL having the hottest summers.

Old 08-12-2020, 12:27 PM

3,649 posts, read 4,501,268 times
Quote:
Alot of people say Atlanta weather isn't too bad, it's like a milder version of Dallas and Houston. Although, you probably know more than I do since you live fairly close by. Do you recommend Raleigh for a 21 year old?
I guess coming from Dallas or Houston, Atlanta's weather will be tolerable indeed! It's rough for me though, that's for sure. Then again I have a really low tolerance for heat/humidity.

As for Raleigh for a 21 year old - I moved here when I was 24, so not too much older. I found plenty of single ladies to woo and have fun with out at the bars and music venues and such. It's a very comfortable, very attractive city to live in. I would recommend it to most people regardless of age...unless they're looking for some urban walkable mecca with tons of nightclubs and such. Raleigh isn't that.

Old 08-12-2020, 08:25 PM

3,715 posts, read 3,701,850 times
KCMO
Denver
Atl
Nashville
Charlotte

Old 08-12-2020, 11:11 PM

8,498 posts, read 8,790,853 times
I read the Omaha links and looked at more on Omaha / Lincoln / Kearney. The area does deserve more cred / consideration. Will look further out of curiosity.

Need to find more photos / videos. Can the concept of Nebraska "hill country" fairly near Lincoln be credibly offered? Marketing at Texans or potential Texans?

Old 08-13-2020, 04:45 AM

1,049 posts, read 653,746 times
Out West:

Denver
Boise
Reno
Salt Lake City
Flagstaff

East

Louisville
Nashville
Charlotte
Huntsville, AL
Fayetteville, ARK

Some of the cities out East are not very walkable, but if dating is something that is in your Top 3 and you are interested in women than I would lean towards the eastern cities. If you are interested in men I would lean towards the western cities. If dating or nightlife are not major considerations then anything could work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.