Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2021, 10:31 PM

2,599 posts, read 2,321,291 times

Advertisements

This site makes me think of the term "fly-over" states. Thinking of that term actually makes me feel a little apprehensive. I'm not sure why but the term makes me think there are more cults and less places to turn if a person gets in some kind of trouble of any kind. Am I correct?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2021, 11:20 PM

6,375 posts, read 4,993,181 times
IDK about cults, plenty of them have started in coastal California (People's Temple, Manson, Heaven's Gate).

Less places to turn, probably yeah. As a bearded, deep-voiced, straight-passing gay man who works out and mostly travels alone, I don't worry about homophobia in rural areas. But if a group of guys did pick a fight with me, I'd be pretty worried, there wouldn't be a lot of people nearby like there would be in a big city, and anyone who was there might be their friends.

Old 05-19-2021, 12:15 AM
sub

4,963 posts, read 3,753,287 times
Probably fewer cults in reality.
Many parts of flyover county are very likely to help out if you’re in need.
Some of the freakiest places I’ve seen have been in coastal states.
But, every place has its good and bad.
If flyover country or any place else seems scary, it’s due to lack of familiarity more than anything.

Old 05-19-2021, 01:14 AM

23,688 posts, read 9,375,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by curiousgeorge5 View Post
This site makes me think of the term "fly-over" states. Thinking of that term actually makes me feel a little apprehensive. I'm not sure why but the term makes me think there are more cults and less places to turn if a person gets in some kind of trouble of any kind. Am I correct?
I would be more concerned of dangerous cult activity on the West coast.A lot of the more notorious ones were based in California like Jim Jones and and the UFO one in Rancho Santa Fe.Although they can be a threat everywhere.

Last edited by C24L; 05-19-2021 at 01:55 AM..

Old 05-19-2021, 02:12 AM

16,077 posts, read 10,735,467 times
I lived there 65 years and never met a cult member or heard of a local cult. Now, Waco (TX) had the Branch Davidians so that might be one. There were some utopian colonies at one time. There are some rabid militia groups. I don’t think that there are fewer places to turn to for help or assistance. My experience is mostly in small Midwest towns and rural parts but I was born in a large city. There is probably significantly less diversity and less density but cultural resources don’t suffer. Many of the best sports teams are from the Midwest - professional and college.

“Flyover” implies an interior place of insufficient interest. “Midwest” implies a place halfway to the west and seems to place a greater value on the west than the middle part. These are coastal descriptors borne out of ignorance but in popular usage.

Old 05-19-2021, 03:37 AM

6,772 posts, read 4,514,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sub View Post
Probably fewer cults in reality.
Many parts of flyover county are very likely to help out if you’re in need.
Some of the freakiest places I’ve seen have been in coastal states.
But, every place has its good and bad.
If flyover country or any place else seems scary, it’s due to lack of familiarity more than anything.
Great post. Too many unfairly apply stereotypes based on personal biases and forming secondhand opinions.

Old 05-19-2021, 04:58 AM

3,733 posts, read 2,887,330 times
Quote:
Are you serious? I would have to say....just keep flying on over, and keep your misconceptions...they're good for a laugh behind your back, I'm sure. You sure gave me a chuckle.

Overall, you'll find some "flyover" states have higher IQs than where you're living. Four in the top ten, is pretty indicative that you just might be wrong in your thoughts.

https://worldpopulationreview.com/en...ge-iq-by-state

Last edited by Enean; 05-19-2021 at 05:10 AM..

Old 05-19-2021, 05:00 AM

5,474 posts, read 3,916,864 times
Depends on your definition of cult. If you include evangelical Christianity, definitely so in some parts of 'flyover country'. Kind of a strange take, though--as stated upthread, 'flyover' is meant to imply a place not worthy of one's interest--just a place to 'fly over' to get somewhere worth your time on or near one of the coasts. How that implies increased cult activity is a question you might want to ponder. As for having less people to turn to when in trouble--how comfortable would you feel if 'in trouble' in any place other than the place you call home, whether that place be 'flyover' or coastal? Weird line of thought in the OP which makes me think you interpreted 'flyover' rather idiosyncratically/perhaps wrongly.

Old 05-19-2021, 05:46 AM

10,501 posts, read 7,033,009 times
Quote:

What? That's really bizarre as far as interpretations go.

Old 05-19-2021, 06:33 AM

3,575 posts, read 3,074,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Marcinkiewicz View Post
Depends on your definition of cult. If you include evangelical Christianity, definitely so in some parts of 'flyover country'. Kind of a strange take, though--as stated upthread, 'flyover' is meant to imply a place not worthy of one's interest--just a place to 'fly over' to get somewhere worth your time on or near one of the coasts. How that implies increased cult activity is a question you might want to ponder. As for having less people to turn to when in trouble--how comfortable would you feel if 'in trouble' in any place other than the place you call home, whether that place be 'flyover' or coastal? Weird line of thought in the OP which makes me think you interpreted 'flyover' rather idiosyncratically/perhaps wrongly.
True, like the Amish, Mennonite, Hassidim, Mormon, Burqa wearing Muslims, Society of St Pius X, in addition to the aforementioned various evangelical Christians let alone the rural political and social subgroups. Interstate rest stops are absolutely the best places to see this cross-section of Middle America, who rarely stand out at airports. There must also be an un-acknowledged "under-eaters anonymous" group that rides the interstates.

The only places I have ever felt even slightly uncomfortable in driving cross country was a restaurant in central Arkansas (it was apparently an under-eaters convention and we didn't fit in), and a diner in eastern Pennsylvania (where every head turned and eye watched us like we were going to cause trouble - 2 middle aged white men and our octogenarian mother!).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.