Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2020, 08:05 AM

8,302 posts, read 5,702,626 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by As Above So Below... View Post
DFW serves more domestic destinations than ATL or any other airport in the US actually. I would call it second fiddle to any airport.
Where Atlanta really comes out on top is with its aircraft operations.

But there are a combination of factors that contribute to that.

1. American and Delta have fundamentally different styles in their operations. Delta has decided it's most efficient to funnel a much larger proportion of their transfers through Atlanta, whereas American has decided it's most efficient to have its traffic spread out amongst different smaller hubs across the country.

2. Dallas has two airports, whereas Atlanta only has one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2020, 10:21 AM

14 posts, read 15,867 times
The geographic mean center for the U.S. population is in Missouri. So if you look at what airports exist in that general area:

1. St Louis
2. Kansas City
3. Fayetteville, AR
4. Memphis
5. Little Rock
6. Dallas

So now you have to consider, which of these have 1) the most flights 2) the cheapest flights, 3) the best weather for flying i.e. limited snowstorms, thunder, and ice. That narrows it to Dallas in my opinion. You can fly pretty much anywhere in the lower 48 from Dallas in 3 hours except Seattle. Memphis is a close second but it's a hub for cargo (FedEx), not passengers.

Old 08-21-2020, 10:36 AM

12,832 posts, read 9,552,972 times
Denver. It's kind of in the middle and there are a ton of flights. Plus it's a very new airport. Dallas too, maybe moreso. Less weather delays.

Old 08-21-2020, 10:47 AM

8,337 posts, read 5,492,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citidata18 View Post
Where Atlanta really comes out on top is with its aircraft operations.

But there are a combination of factors that contribute to that.

1. American and Delta have fundamentally different styles in their operations. Delta has decided it's most efficient to funnel a much larger proportion of their transfers through Atlanta, whereas American has decided it's most efficient to have its traffic spread out amongst different smaller hubs across the country.

2. Dallas has two airports, whereas Atlanta only has one.
ATL has more passenger traffic. There is no denying that. DL tends to fly larger aircraft from ATL than AA does from DFW. However, DFW does serve more domestic destinations. That said, both a BEASTS. You cant go wrong with either along with Chicago and Denver for massive domestic outreach.

Old 08-21-2020, 10:57 AM

9,818 posts, read 7,928,191 times
Quote:
ATL has more passenger traffic. There is no denying that. DL tends to fly larger aircraft from ATL than AA does from DFW. However, DFW does serve more domestic destinations. That said, both a BEASTS. You cant go wrong with either along with Chicago and Denver for massive domestic outreach.
Unfortunately, AA is ending service from DFW to Joplin, MO (I have a client there). This guy is a road warrior, and I guess he'll have to start driving down to Tulsa. Not a huge deal, but poor Joplin will now be without any service at all.

COVID is tearing up route maps left and right. I think we just lost our recently reinstated Burbank, Ontario and Palm Springs flights.

Last edited by JMatl; 08-21-2020 at 11:11 AM..

Old 08-21-2020, 11:09 AM

8,302 posts, read 5,702,626 times
Quote:
Bear in mind that transfers are included in the passenger counts (not just O&D traffic), which gets back to my point #1 about the way Delta operates vs. American.

That's why there's the saying "Whether you're going to heaven or hell, you're going to have to change planes in Atlanta."

Interestingly enough, as a somewhat relevant point, since Delta is still restricting their capacity due to COVID-19, I read an article that says Dallas may very well have the most aircraft operations and passengers this year.

Last edited by citidata18; 08-21-2020 at 11:22 AM..

Old 08-21-2020, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Bear in mind that transfers are included in the passenger counts (not just O&D traffic), which gets back to my point #1 about the way Delta operates vs. American.

That why there's the saying "Whether you're going to heaven or hell, you're going to have to change planes in Atlanta."
Of course. I actually work as an airline industry analyst and consultant. O&D wise, ATL and the DFW markets are similar in size domestically. DFW (which includes DFW and DAL) is slightly larger. Internationally they are pretty well identical in size. Houston is the reverse. Its a lot smaller than the ATL and DFW markets domestically but a lot larger in international O&D.

Old 08-21-2020, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Interestingly enough, as a somewhat relevant point, since Delta is still restricting their capacity due to COVID-19, I read an article that says Dallas may very well have the most aircraft operations and passengers this year.
They just extended it through January.

Old 08-21-2020, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMatl View Post
Unfortunately, AA is ending service from DFW to Joplin, MO (I have a client there). This guy is a road warrior, and I guess he'll have to start driving down to Tulsa. Not a huge deal, but poor Joplin will now be without any service at all.

COVID is tearing up route maps left and right. I think we just lost our recently reinstated Burbank, Ontario and Palm Springs flights.
Yup. Youre not wrong. Lots of flights are getting the axe but fortunately very few of them permanently.

AA is saying that the cuts are temporary, but a lot of them probably wont be back.

Here is what is being cut that I know of.

From DFW on AA:
Joplin, MO
Del Rio, TX
Springfield, MO
Lake Charles, LA
Sioux City, IA (EAS market being moved to DEN on UA)
Stillwater, OK

From ATL on DL:
Tegucigalpa, Honduras
Managua, Nicaragua
Havana, Cuba

From IAH on UA:
Chihuahua, Mexico
Dayton, Ohio
Akron, Ohio

Ironically, UA just announced some new routes from IAH the last couple of weeks:
Abilene, Texas
Chattanooga, Tennessee
Tallahassee, Florida

Old 08-21-2020, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Yup. Youre not wrong. Lots of flights are getting the axe but fortunately very few of them permanently.

AA is saying that the cuts are temporary, but a lot of them probably wont be back.

Here is what is being cut that I know of.

From DFW on AA:
Joplin, MO
Del Rio, TX
Springfield, MO
Lake Charles, LA
Sioux City, IA (EAS market being moved to DEN on UA)
Stillwater, OK

From ATL on DL:
Tegucigalpa, Honduras
Managua, Nicaragua
Havana, Cuba

From IAH on UA:
Chihuahua, Mexico
Dayton, Ohio
Akron, Ohio

Ironically, UA just announced some new routes from IAH the last couple of weeks:
Abilene, Texas
Chattanooga, Tennessee
Tallahassee, Florida
Thanks so much, AASB! Good news for Tallahassee & Chatty at least, they could both really use these routes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.