Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2020, 11:52 AM

26 posts, read 21,674 times

Advertisements

What's important to me:
- Dating (very important)
- Not blowing all my money
- Exercising
-

Rent budget
$2300

I work from home. I'm open to ANY city, but everyone tells me NYC or Chicago. Obviously, $2300 goes MUCH further in Chicago than NYC.

The only issue: The cities are dying from Covid-19. Should I still move there? I want to be in a trendy spot, but it seems like other places suck for dating (like Austin, Miami)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2020, 12:06 PM

186 posts, read 283,394 times
You can exercise anywhere in the country. For dating, it depends on what kind you want to date. If those places you mentioned truly sucked, you would not have had any married people there.

Old 08-23-2020, 12:09 PM

8,302 posts, read 5,705,570 times
Who told you cities are dying from COVID-19?

Old 08-23-2020, 12:38 PM

2,752 posts, read 2,407,045 times
Big cities are definitely in a rut right now. Doesn't mean that will be the case forever. I would probably wait til COVID subsides before moving to a big city.

But to answer your question, yes Chicago would be a great choice.

Old 08-23-2020, 12:45 PM

14,682 posts, read 14,648,352 times
Chicago is a great choice, yes. Much better male/female ratio than a lot of the tech-heavy cities like Austin, Denver, SF, etc. A lot of Big Ten grads move to Chicago after school, and Midwestern girls tend to be more of the “settle down” types.

Old 08-23-2020, 01:38 PM

2,228 posts, read 1,400,006 times
I'm out of the game, and the city has definitely become more tech-heavy since I last was in it, but Austin is fantastic for dating. The robust nightlife is the main attraction for 20-somethings. Typically you don't move to Austin for a job, you move to Austin for the party and find a way to make it work. I personally had better job opportunities in both Houston and Dallas coming out of school. I chose Austin because it was much more fun.

I do find the rise of the tech industry has brought some lame Bay Area folk who are attracted by the (relatively) lower cost of living more than anything else, but the nightlife still seems pretty strong to me.

Old 08-23-2020, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whereiend View Post
I'm out of the game, and the city has definitely become more tech-heavy since I last was in it, but Austin is fantastic for dating. The robust nightlife is the main attraction for 20-somethings. Typically you don't move to Austin for a job, you move to Austin for the party and find a way to make it work. I personally had better job opportunities in both Houston and Dallas coming out of school. I chose Austin because it was much more fun.

I do find the rise of the tech industry has brought some lame Bay Area folk who are attracted by the (relatively) lower cost of living more than anything else, but the nightlife still seems pretty strong to me.
I would have actually picked Austin but dating there is in the ****tier. I think 10 years ago it was amazing but the tech bros killed the dating scene.
I also find Chicago and NYC to have skinnier and more diverse women. I’m not really into the fat Texas chicks or trying to have a bad dating pool.

Old 08-23-2020, 03:07 PM

How do I survive the cold?

Old 08-23-2020, 03:54 PM

166 posts, read 278,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagovsnyc View Post
I would have actually picked Austin but dating there is in the ****tier. I think 10 years ago it was amazing but the tech bros killed the dating scene.
I also find Chicago and NYC to have skinnier and more diverse women. I’m not really into the fat Texas chicks or trying to have a bad dating pool.
Definitely avoid cities getting all the Bay Area exports.

Tech bros are such a weird virus/phenomenon...they'll move to a good area like Austin and infect it with the very things that they complained about back in the Bay. smh

It's funny how nobody in tech cities even like each other lol. You go to Portland/Seattle/Austin/Denver/SF/etc and all you hear are tech bros (many of them incels) complaining about unattractive entitled women who won't give them the time of day, and plain/unattractive women complaining that there are no decent/good men worth dating (lmao). they're literally perfect for each other.

Old 08-23-2020, 04:18 PM

2,228 posts, read 1,400,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagovsnyc View Post
What's your evidence for this? I'm sorry but Austin definitely has better looking women than Chicago. Warm weather and sunshine make a difference in that department. I always liked NYC women for having a nice mix of personality and career ambition, but the biggest advantage NYC has is probably a favorable ratio. Whereas in the Bay Area every reasonably attractive woman feels like a 10, in NYC any bro who is at all outgoing thinks they are God's gift to women. Lol.

Austin still has a huge funnel of attractive young women coming from the nearby universities. I don't agree at all that it's become the Bay Area or Seattle in that department yet. (in the future, maybe.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.