Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2020, 01:27 AM

10,206 posts, read 15,910,503 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by manitopiaaa View Post
Voting for a Democrat means you're not a real Georgian? Being offended by the Confederate flag means you're not a real Georgian? This is a trash take, and stereotypical to the point of parody.
Actually I just used Georgia because its a Southern state with a lot of Yankee transplants.

But actually, yes, in my part of the South, which doesn't have many transplants, I've not come across a single non-black person who is native to the state who has a problem with the Confederate flag or Confederate monuments, and anyone who talks about the issue is outraged over renaming schools named after Confederate heroes, etc. The only people I've met who have criticized the Confederate flag openly are those who were not born in Louisiana or from the South in general. And we are just like they're not from here, we don't expect them to really understand given how brainwashed they are back home. Just like we don't expect the liberal East Coast based media to understand the South or our culture and heritage.

Even many black people here don't consider the Confederate flag to be racist. So yes in the South its mostly transplants who equate the Confederate flag with racism and slavery. Also in my community, nearly every non-black person is Republican, whatever white liberals there are usually keep silent about their beliefs while homes and businesses openly fly Trump flags.

In some parts of Acadiana you do need that Cajun French heritage in order to be considered a real native but newcomers are still welcomed there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2020, 08:04 AM

13,966 posts, read 24,143,800 times
1. When you use local lingo without thinking about it.
2. When you know shortcuts to get anywhere without the use of Waze.
3. When you understand cultural inside jokes pertaining to the city, and/or its neighboring cities.
4. When you reminisce about something that is no longer there.
5. When local TV jingles get stuck in your head.

Old 09-10-2020, 09:48 AM

8,319 posts, read 5,478,374 times
I dont know that Ill ever feel like Im not a transplant, but I definitely consider Houston home as opposed to California.

Old 09-10-2020, 10:39 AM

20,514 posts, read 33,513,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnc2mbfl View Post
1. When you use local lingo without thinking about it.
2. When you know shortcuts to get anywhere without the use of Waze.
3. When you understand cultural inside jokes pertaining to the city, and/or its neighboring cities.
4. When you reminisce about something that is no longer there.
5. When local TV jingles get stuck in your head.
Ha. This all fits me but still, I consider myself a transplant.

Old 09-10-2020, 11:26 AM

7,108 posts, read 8,962,208 times
I always feel like a transplant regardless of where I live except St. Louis where I am from. I prefer the open minded nature of being a transplant without local culture bias. Locals seem to have more prejudices on neighborhoods and people and things.

Old 09-10-2020, 03:13 PM

63 posts, read 67,954 times
Been in the D.C. area for the past thirteen years, and I do definitely feel a sense of comfort and familiarity here, but I don't consider myself a true local. Though maybe that's due to reading all of the rural natives bashing anyone remotely transplant on C-D, lmao.

Old 09-10-2020, 09:58 PM

9,818 posts, read 7,919,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Lennox 70 View Post
I'd say it needs to be at least 20 years BUT in addition you have to have assimilated into the native culture. Let's say someone moves to Georgia from New Jersey and 20 years later, still talks in a New Jersey accent, is very rude, aggressive and pushy, doesn't enjoy any Southern foods, still drinks their drink unsweet, is offended by the Confederate flag and Merry Christmas, and votes Democrat, yes they're still a transplant.
Sorry, but just no. My best friend here is an 8th generation Atlantan that's practically a dead ringer for Julia Sugarbaker. Southern through and through and very genteel - unless you **** her off, a life long liberal, votes Democratic and donates to their political campaigns, lobbied legislators to allow the vote to change the flag back in the 90's and a devout Episcopalian. She's hardly alone, there are many here like her. I've only been to New Orleans in LA, but your part of the South sounds like another planet compared to this - but it's still the South. I've stated this a thousand times, but the South is absolutely not monolithic - no region is.

And most transplants from New Jersey that I know aren't rude at all, they're direct with a very low tolerance for BS. I admire that actually, but it is not rude. Sweeping sterotypes are never cool.

Old 09-10-2020, 10:27 PM

13,966 posts, read 24,143,800 times

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FOllz6eGbXI

Old 09-10-2020, 10:40 PM

9,818 posts, read 7,919,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnc2mbfl View Post
O M G! Thanks for making my day, and that's my Christine! She will cut a b***h with her tongue in a heartbeat if it's deserved.

Would rep you if I could.

Old 09-11-2020, 01:02 AM

483 posts, read 353,286 times
In Oregon you get accepted when you:

1. stop talking about what you miss from California
and/or
2. learn how to correctly pronounce Oregon, Willamette, Umpqua, Clackamas etc
and/or
3. begin stopping at crosswalks before the pedestrian has started to cross and stop using your horn to honk at people on the road.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.