Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2020, 12:45 PM

12,161 posts, read 7,997,139 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
I was trying to think of a NY specific food for the "worst" category but I couldn't think of one. Not that NY does not have badly prepared food, just nothing regionally specific that I can think of.

That said, I would wholly agree that chopped cheese is overrated.

That is not to say they are bad, I have eaten about a couple dozen of them over the last 5 years or so, and the bodega I go to makes one that hits the spot every time, but they have gotten a disproportionate amount of attention in the food media. It's a chopped up cheeseburger for chrissakes.

I just texted a buddy of mine from upstate what was the worst regional food in NY and he suggested chicken riggies. Never had them, but based on the wikipedia entry, they look pretty uninspiring if not conceptually bad.

Another good regional NY food is spiedies from the Binghampton area. It is sort of like souvlaki served on a wedge and is pretty damn good, though I have never had one when I wasn't visiting friends at SUNY Binghampton (i.e. drunk).
Garbage Plates, Manhattan Chowder, Chicken Riggies and Cheesecake are all Ny Foods I don't care for.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2020, 01:03 PM

32,638 posts, read 48,015,234 times
I didn't grow up there, but the very best regional food is in San Diego County: their San Diego style Mexican food. Multiple excellent Mexican restaurants and drive-throughs.

Old 09-08-2020, 01:55 PM

6,772 posts, read 4,514,172 times
NC

No particular order. Couldn't stop at just one, lol.

Best:
Krispy Kreme Doughnuts. They're intoxicatingly good!
Pulled Pork BBQ. It's incredible.
Chicken Bog (rice made with chicken broth, sausage, chicken, and seasoning)
Shrimp & Grits
Calabash Style Seafood (freshly caught, very lightly battered, and fried).

Worst:
Mayonnaise & Banana Sandwiches. Repulsive! lol
Peanuts in Soda. Not really a "food" per say, but some people love putting salted peanuts in their soda. I honestly don't get that.
Moon Pies (A dry cake with marshmallow in the middle covered in chocolate). It's not bad, just very overrated for what it is.
Cole Slaw. It's really big in the Carolinas. I hate anything with mayo in/on it.
Crawfish. They're like tiny lobsters. I can eat them, but I just don't care for the taste.

Great thread!!!

Last edited by march2; 09-08-2020 at 02:14 PM..

Old 09-08-2020, 02:34 PM

3,733 posts, read 2,887,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Citykid3785 View Post
What are the best and worst foods native to the region(s) you grew up in?

MN:
Best - cheese curds, chicken and wild rice soup
Worst - tator tot hot dish

NJ:
Best - NJ style pizza of course
Worst - taylor ham/pork roll
Sorry, cheese curds are Wisconsin, through and through.

Old 09-08-2020, 02:42 PM

6,377 posts, read 5,490,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie gein View Post
Oklahoma:

The best: Chicken Fried Steak with cream gravy\mashed taters and fried or boiled Okra
The worst: Pecan Pie

Did.....did you mean to do these the other way around?

NC:

The Best: tie between Pulled Pork BBQ & Pimento Cheese

The Worst: Livermush (only really popular in the western half of the state closer to the mountains; but still...gross)

Most polarizing... Cheerwine. Some love it, some hate it. I used to really enjoy it and then a few years ago I stopped drinking all soda altogether.....now when I attempt to give it a swig it tastes like sipping cough syrup that would give you diabetes.

Old 09-08-2020, 02:53 PM

17,790 posts, read 13,682,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TarHeelNick View Post

NC:

The Worst: Livermush (only really popular in the western half of the state closer to the mountains; but still...gross)

Most polarizing... Cheerwine. Some love it, some hate it. I used to really enjoy it and then a few years ago I stopped drinking all soda altogether.....now when I attempt to give it a swig it tastes like sipping cough syrup that would give you diabetes.
No, pecan pie is nasty, but it'll get you into a fight if you say that around here. LOL.

Pimento cheese also sucks. But that may be because my mother would make a bunch of pimento cheese sandwiches, freeze them and have me eat the endless supply for grade school lunch. In the winter they sometimes wouldn't thaw all the way out by lunch.

Pecan Pie and Pimento cheese are two of only a handful of things I refuse to eat as an adult.

Old 09-08-2020, 02:59 PM

6,772 posts, read 4,514,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TarHeelNick View Post

NC:

I understand where you're coming from with the livermush, lol. I LOVE it. My wife despises it. Of people I know it's about 50/50 love/hate. There's not much in between.

Old 09-08-2020, 03:09 PM

8,491 posts, read 4,735,625 times
Bay Area doesn’t really have a vernacular. There was this general “Mediterranean” thing which was light breads or olive oil or something, and a lot of avocado. But I guess there’s a few things which stuck out.

Best: real sourdough. Haven’t found anything past merely milquetoast anywhere else. Bonus points for wood-fired pizza, and great Mexican.

Worst: the myriad attempts at fusion cuisine. It usually managed to not highlight the best of anything.

Old 09-08-2020, 03:15 PM

1,351 posts, read 894,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enean View Post
Sorry, cheese curds are Wisconsin, through and through.
They're extremely popular in Minnesota and Iowa.

They're also done very well at many places in Minnesota and Iowa.

Old 09-08-2020, 05:23 PM

3,733 posts, read 2,887,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IowanFarmer View Post
They're extremely popular in Minnesota and Iowa.

They're also done very well at many places in Minnesota and Iowa.
You can eat them anywhere, but you can thank Wisconsin, most likely, for making them. Here, they're everywhere.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.