Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2020, 04:18 PM

8 posts, read 14,355 times

Advertisements

Hi!

I'm not American, and in my country, the typical image (or the stereotypical) of Americans are that of Californian hippies, bikini-clad valley girls, or that of the "less-educated" and somewhat "overweight" southerners (and sometimes the very serious people on the streets wearing their suits, scowls on their faces, always running off to their next PowerPoint presentation!)

I know that these stereotypes are completely false (for example, all of the southerners whom I know personally are slim and highly educated). Even if these apply to some, everyone is free to choose his own lifestyle, diet, or level of education. A postgraduate degree or six-abs does not necessarily make you better than others.

Having said that, when I saw the video clips of The Petersens like this one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qap9Qm-Q894

I was impressed by these people. I'm not talking now about their musical talent, they are amazing (no tattoos, no twerking, no swearing, no auto-tune. They are simply showing their talent. They don’t have to show skin, wear revealing clothing, be vulgar in dance, use inciting or sexual words or behavior. Just pure, beautiful music and souls!)

In which part of American can you find good-looking, well-shaped people who are at the same time demure, dressing elegantly but modestly, and maybe a little bit conservative?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2020, 04:21 PM

8,302 posts, read 5,696,736 times
Williamson County, TN
Rockwall County, TX
Fayette County, GA
Coweta County, GA

To be more specific (judgmental), I'm picturing an exurban bedroom community in a major metro area with homes on 1+ acre lots and "wealthy but blue collar" people.

Last edited by citidata18; 09-09-2020 at 04:30 PM..

Old 09-09-2020, 04:32 PM

8 posts, read 14,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citidata18 View Post
Williamson County, TN
Rockwall County, TX
Fayette County, GA
Coweta County, GA

To be more specific (judgmental), I'm picturing an exurban bedroom community in a major metro area with homes on 1+ acre lots and "wealthy but blue collar" people.

Thank you for this list. But why did you choose these four counties in particular?

Old 09-09-2020, 04:32 PM

6,786 posts, read 4,224,158 times
It's a performing act. Do you think they're living life as saints 24/7 because they play country-folk wearing 'modest' clothes?

I know plenty of people here in the D.C. area who can look like that and behave like that, and still go bar hopping on the weekend and having casual sex with people they met on dating apps.

Old 09-09-2020, 04:40 PM

472 posts, read 346,208 times
I am a huge fan of the Petersens- Jolene rendition is simply stupendous.
I'd think you'd find folks like this in the lower midwest (but you can find them all over the country- they are similar to my family ish; we are from the south and southwest- CA, AZ, TX, and TN).
But I would look at Missouri (aside from STL), Kansas, Nebraska, and to a lesser extent maybe Oklahoma, Kentucky or North Carolina. I think you can find folks like this anywhere in the heartland though (from upstate NY to Eastern WA and anywhere in between). But I'd especially look at the lower midwest.
Best of luck.

Old 09-09-2020, 06:17 PM

3,715 posts, read 3,694,077 times
Generally Christians, which tend to be more prevalent in the bible belt.

Old 09-09-2020, 10:00 PM

5,743 posts, read 3,593,936 times
South Dakota or a neighboring state. Good education on top of country hospitality. And a good chance their name is really Peterson/Oleson/Ericson

Old 09-10-2020, 01:55 AM

1,726 posts, read 1,719,139 times
Not Los Angeles or the Inland Empire, I'll tell you that much.

Old 09-10-2020, 03:56 AM

50 posts, read 183,333 times
East Tennessee

Old 09-10-2020, 06:13 AM

6,772 posts, read 4,509,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Veritas Vincit View Post
It's a performing act. Do you think they're living life as saints 24/7 because they play country-folk wearing 'modest' clothes?

I know plenty of people here in the D.C. area who can look like that and behave like that, and still go bar hopping on the weekend and having casual sex with people they met on dating apps.
Wow, must have struck a nerve, lol. The OP made their point clear in their post. There's no need to get so uptight because the girls in the girls in the video are more conservative.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.