Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2020, 03:07 PM

5 posts, read 2,454 times

Advertisements

As another poster mentioned, the southwest and New England are very different. If you can, I would really recommend trying to visit both areas to get a sense of what you'd enjoy most. This is especially the case for the desert southwest. I personally find New England to a bit closer in climate and feel to the midwest, especially the upper midwest. That being said, I think both parts of the country are great places to live. Not sure there is really a wrong choice here

If you really want to prioritize sun and low humidity, I think the desert southwest is really your best bet. Some of these places can get pretty hot, but higher elevation areas tend to have less heat and a bit of snow in the winter. There tends to be enough snow in Albuquerque that it looks pretty and you can still enjoy it, but not enough so that it goes on for months and months and becomes a hassle. Another positive for the southwest is they have better Mexican food than most of the rest of the U.S. New Mexican food is especially good. Albuquerque also has some great hiking. I'd say to the main downside of the southwest is that it really doesn't have a true 4 season climate - at least the kind of 4 seasons you would expect to get in the midwest or northeast. In addition, the desert climate is really just very different from the eastern parts of the U.S. that regularly see much more rainfall. Some people who are not from the area get there and discover it's not their thing. New Mexico is also obviously far from an ocean.

If you want to prioritize big trees and 4 seasons, I think New England would be a better choice. New England has a really beautiful 4 season climate. While it does have more humidity than the west, the rain is part of what gives the landscape it's lush green feel and big trees. I'd also say that how humid you find it probably depends partly on where you're coming from - it is definitely more humid than the southwest, but probably less humid than a lot of the southeast as well as parts of the midwest (like where I currently am in southern Illinois...) New England is also a lot closer to the beach. The area has some really beautiful, interesting architecture, and is probably one of the best places in the country for historical sites. New England has a lot less Mexican cultural influence overall, and less good Mexican food/less options available. Some great seafood though A downside of New England is that it will have less sun - both in the winter as well as just overall.

I'm not sure about upstate NY. It has some beautiful 4 seasons and rolling hills, but some parts of it are very cold and grey for long periods of time, or really get ton of snow. A friend of mine who lived there for a while called it: "the blizzard." Granted, he moved there from southern California. I'm sure the weather also varies in different parts of upstate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2020, 06:15 PM

93,326 posts, read 123,972,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbansunrise View Post
As another poster mentioned, the southwest and New England are very different. If you can, I would really recommend trying to visit both areas to get a sense of what you'd enjoy most. This is especially the case for the desert southwest. I personally find New England to a bit closer in climate and feel to the midwest, especially the upper midwest. That being said, I think both parts of the country are great places to live. Not sure there is really a wrong choice here

If you really want to prioritize sun and low humidity, I think the desert southwest is really your best bet. Some of these places can get pretty hot, but higher elevation areas tend to have less heat and a bit of snow in the winter. There tends to be enough snow in Albuquerque that it looks pretty and you can still enjoy it, but not enough so that it goes on for months and months and becomes a hassle. Another positive for the southwest is they have better Mexican food than most of the rest of the U.S. New Mexican food is especially good. Albuquerque also has some great hiking. I'd say to the main downside of the southwest is that it really doesn't have a true 4 season climate - at least the kind of 4 seasons you would expect to get in the midwest or northeast. In addition, the desert climate is really just very different from the eastern parts of the U.S. that regularly see much more rainfall. Some people who are not from the area get there and discover it's not their thing. New Mexico is also obviously far from an ocean.

If you want to prioritize big trees and 4 seasons, I think New England would be a better choice. New England has a really beautiful 4 season climate. While it does have more humidity than the west, the rain is part of what gives the landscape it's lush green feel and big trees. I'd also say that how humid you find it probably depends partly on where you're coming from - it is definitely more humid than the southwest, but probably less humid than a lot of the southeast as well as parts of the midwest (like where I currently am in southern Illinois...) New England is also a lot closer to the beach. The area has some really beautiful, interesting architecture, and is probably one of the best places in the country for historical sites. New England has a lot less Mexican cultural influence overall, and less good Mexican food/less options available. Some great seafood though A downside of New England is that it will have less sun - both in the winter as well as just overall.

I'm not sure about upstate NY. It has some beautiful 4 seasons and rolling hills, but some parts of it are very cold and grey for long periods of time, or really get ton of snow. A friend of mine who lived there for a while called it: "the blizzard." Granted, he moved there from southern California. I'm sure the weather also varies in different parts of upstate.
Yes, the winter weather varies in Upstate NY and the places suggested are in a part of the state that is very close to the VT and even MA border. So, they aren’t that far removed from New England.

I think this is what people in general have to realize if you’ve haven’t been here. Upstate NY, while not huge, does vary. Albany is a good 4 hour drive from Buffalo. So, you can’t necessarily use the winter weather that occurs in Buffalo, Rochester or Syracuse for what occurs in Albany or other places further east. Lake Effect impacts snowfall in the first 3, while the latter may get more from the occasional Nor’easter. Let alone the variety within areas. There is also the lower cost of living factor. So, that is why I think those NY communities are viable in terms of the topic.

BTW-Another place in that part of the state just outside of Saratoga: https://www.villageofballstonspa.org...nment/downtown

https://www.ballston.org/

https://goo.gl/maps/xRRPJYAUTb2aJsNT7

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 09-14-2020 at 06:42 PM..

Old 09-14-2020, 06:40 PM

12,164 posts, read 8,014,676 times
Yeah as beautiful as Upstate NY is, it is terrifyingly gloomy and snowy.

Upstate NY has ideal weather from June to October, but beyond November... its grey skies, lake effect snow and dreariness.

I love Upstate NY, but, the winters are very very rough. And when the cties suffer from crippling economies and a major Heroin problem, there isn't much to love about the winters. But Summers? Ideal. Would 110% consider a summer home in Skeneatles or on Lake Ontario.

Old 09-14-2020, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by masssachoicetts View Post
Yeah as beautiful as Upstate NY is, it is terrifyingly gloomy and snowy.

Upstate NY has ideal weather from June to October, but beyond November... its grey skies, lake effect snow and dreariness.

I love Upstate NY, but, the winters are very very rough. And when the cties suffer from crippling economies and a major Heroin problem, there isn't much to love about the winters. But Summers? Ideal. Would 110% consider a summer home in Skeneatles or on Lake Ontario.
Again, the places suggested are hours from those places and things vary in terms of the other things you’ve mentioned. Let alone being worse elsewhere or down right embellished. For instance, Saratoga Springs and the just mentioned Ballston Spa are in Saratoga County, which has been one of the fastest growing counties in the state for the past decade. Plattsburgh and Glens Falls have generally had population growth as well. I’ve already explained the winter weather aspect earlier. So, this is exactly what I’m referring to when people lump all of Upstate NY into one bunch, when that isn’t the case or are frankly not familiar with nuances.

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 09-14-2020 at 07:01 PM..

Old 09-14-2020, 08:20 PM

8,605 posts, read 14,891,340 times
If you're looking to avoid humidity, find 100° W on a map and stay west of it. That's generally demarcated by US-83. I know there are places in the interior northeast and the higher elevations of Western North Carolina that have comfortable summertime temps, but they're still humid, and once the temps get above 85 you'll start to get swamp ass.

I'd look at Colorado Springs, Denver, Salt Lake City, Boise, or Albuquerque. No beach, but plenty of mountains and valleys, and no freakin' humidity.

Old 09-15-2020, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluescreen73 View Post
If you're looking to avoid humidity, find 100° W on a map and stay west of it. That's generally demarcated by US-83. I know there are places in the interior northeast and the higher elevations of Western North Carolina that have comfortable summertime temps, but they're still humid, and once the temps get above 85 you'll start to get swamp ass.

I'd look at Colorado Springs, Denver, Salt Lake City, Boise, or Albuquerque. No beach, but plenty of mountains and valleys, and no freakin' humidity.
The good thing about the NY places I suggested is that none of them have a month where the average high is above 84 and most(except for Plattsburgh) have only one month where both the high and low temperature is below freezing(January).

On a side note, here is some information about Million Dollar Beach in Lake George: https://www.lakegeorge.com/business/...ar-beach-8740/

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Attracti..._New_York.html

Nearby beaches on Lake George: https://www.lakegeorge.com/beaches/

and Plattsburgh city Beach: City of Plattsburgh Beach | Plattsburgh, NY

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Attracti..._New_York.html

Nearby beaches on Lake Champlain: https://www.lakechamplainregion.com/outdoors/swimming

Old 09-17-2020, 05:41 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,759,995 times
Denver housing is not what you'd call cheap, or even inexpensive, or even, in some people's opinions, reasonable. No beaches except at some of the reservoirs. However, it has the best health care systems in the Rocky Mountains. Lots of nursing jobs. Lifestyle can be whatever you want-arts, outdoors, clubbing, whatever. The outdoors are big here. 4 decent seasons, winter is surprisingly warm and sunny. Average highs every month above freezing. Snow tends to come in big hits, with warm dry days in between.
https://weatherspark.com/y/3709/Aver...tes-Year-Round

Old 10-11-2020, 04:54 PM

9 posts, read 3,443 times
I just wanted to leave an update. I did some brief traveling and have replaced Flagstaff with Fort Collins.

I have a trip coming up to New England and am renting a car to visit as many places as possible.

Thank you so much for all of your input.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.