Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2020, 02:31 PM

6,623 posts, read 4,069,570 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Champ le monstre du lac View Post
Agreed, in terms of national media and anywhere outside the New England, Portland alone is usually always assumed as Oregon if no state is mentioned. I always mention Maine behind it if that's the Portland being discussed.

"Another night of protesters clashing with law enforcement in Portland", yeah we already know which Portland they're talking about, no state needing to be mentioned.

Almost all media reports on the protests do refer to Oregon in some way or form to clarify what they're talking about. I mean, there were actual protests and rioting in Portland, ME too.

Portland, ME is too big and Portland, OR not quite famous enough to get away without state names for either unless you clarify the context in some other way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2020, 02:41 PM

9,576 posts, read 7,232,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Veritas Vincit View Post
Portland, ME is too big and Portland, OR not quite famous enough to get away without state names for either unless you clarify the context in some other way.
Useless fact, Portland, Oregon, could have been named Boston, Oregon, it came down to a coin flip in 1845 between Asa Lovejoy and Francis Pettygrove, Lovejoy was from Massachusetts and he wanted to name the new settlement Boston.

If Not for a Coin Toss, Portland, Ore., Would Have Been Called Boston

Old 09-22-2020, 02:46 PM

1,874 posts, read 2,009,778 times
Quote:
Columbus is exactly the sort of city that requires the state abbreviation behind it given there's about two dozen of them in the country. And obviously they aren't named after Columbus, OH. All of them are named after Christopher Columbus. The Ohio city of the name is not so notable nationally or large that outside of the context of Big Ten football or Ohio politics it would be self-explanatory that you mean it when you say "Columbus".
It's the 14th largest city in the country...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 908Boi View Post
Washington should always be called Washington, D.C. or Washington State.
Remember whose list this is: The Associated Press. Meaning, when they print an article, just after the headline you see "WASHINGTON — ". Washington must be THE most common city for news stories, so it makes sense to not have to specify Washington, DC.

Old 09-22-2020, 02:50 PM

597 posts, read 439,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by masssachoicetts View Post
People still think for whatever reason Raleigh is in Va a lot. I don't know why. But it's a thing

I didn't realize that people were that stupid..... That's a darn shame.

Old 09-22-2020, 03:00 PM

6,623 posts, read 4,069,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by averysgore View Post
It's the 14th largest city in the country....

It's a fairly anonymous and pretty unremarkable city nevertheless.

Old 09-22-2020, 03:28 PM

555 posts, read 709,645 times
Quote:
Living right outside D.C. I never say "Washington" to refer to the city, I always say "D.C." or maybe sometimes "the city".
Washington is a little bit like New York, you kind of need to add something to it to clarify it's not the state, like Washington "DC" or New York "City." But in common parlance on the East Coast I usually just hear "NYC" and "DC." Except in the DC suburbs, then I just hear "The District" or "the city" similar to how NYC suburbs just call Manhattan "the city" or "downtown" (even if it is Midtown haha).

Old 09-22-2020, 03:41 PM

12,734 posts, read 9,363,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by masssachoicetts View Post
People still think for whatever reason Raleigh is in Va a lot. I don't know why. But it's a thing
Probably confuse it with Roanoke and Richmond.

Old 09-22-2020, 08:10 PM

955 posts, read 598,537 times
I suppose I'm exposing my own ignorance but I've never heard of Tuscaloosa or State College in my life and I had to Google which state Bozeman is in.

Old 09-22-2020, 08:27 PM

6,615 posts, read 16,492,621 times
St Paul, Duluth, Madison, Buffalo, Hartford, Providence, Orlando, West Palm Beach, Fresno, Spokane, Colorado Springs, Takoma, Wichita.

Columbus would be if not for GA and IN. Rochester would be if they hadn't named Rochester, MN after it. And of course, Portland.

Old 09-22-2020, 08:35 PM

90,316 posts, read 120,179,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Around View Post
St Paul, Duluth, Madison, Buffalo, Hartford, Providence, Orlando, West Palm Beach, Fresno, Spokane, Colorado Springs, Takoma, Wichita.

Columbus would be if not for GA and IN. Rochester would be if they hadn't named Rochester, MN after it. And of course, Portland.
You're showing your MN "homer" status with the first two. I'd be willing to bet many people outside the upper midwest have barely heard of either of them, especially Duluth. Madison is midwest-centric, too. Buffalo, unless they're Broncos fans, many Coloradans have probably never heard of. They'd probably think "Wyoming" if anything. Hartford is a common name, again, few who didn't live in the eastern US would think Connecticut. Providence? Orlando, yes. West Palm Beach you could probably guess. The rest, no.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.