Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2020, 10:02 AM

1,970 posts, read 2,234,027 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Borntoolate85 View Post
As long there's a Portland, ME, Portland, OR will still be necessary if it isn't regionally or locally based IMO.
Yep. In New England, when people say Portland they don't mean a place in Oregon. Causes a certain amount of confusion for visitors.

Same is true of Kansas City. Although KCMO is much larger than KCK (and locals refer to the entire area as "Kansas City" without mentioning either state), because there are two jurisdictions, the state distinction is necessary for national audiences.

Some capital cities often don't warrant including the state, even small cities like Topeka, Hartford, or Richmond.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2020, 10:11 AM

6,786 posts, read 4,224,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westender View Post
Yep. In New England, when people say Portland they don't mean a place in Oregon. Causes a certain amount of confusion for visitors.

Same is true of Kansas City. Although KCMO is much larger than KCK (and locals refer to the entire area as "Kansas City" without mentioning either state), because there are two jurisdictions, the state distinction is necessary for national audiences.

Some capital cities often don't warrant including the state, even small cities like Topeka, Hartford, or Richmond.

I disagree on Richmond given that there's a 100k+ Bay Area suburb of the name as well as sizable towns in Kentucky and Indiana (and probably other states). A headline like "Major storms in Richmond leave hundreds homeless and 7 people dead" would not lead to any association with Virginia in quite a few parts of the country.

Old 09-23-2020, 02:15 PM

309 posts, read 307,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
You're showing your MN "homer" status with the first two. I'd be willing to bet many people outside the upper midwest have barely heard of either of them, especially Duluth. Madison is midwest-centric, too. Buffalo, unless they're Broncos fans, many Coloradans have probably never heard of. They'd probably think "Wyoming" if anything. Hartford is a common name, again, few who didn't live in the eastern US would think Connecticut. Providence? Orlando, yes. West Palm Beach you could probably guess. The rest, no.

Buffalo is only the second largest city in the second largest state in the Union, while still being a top 50 metropolitan area with multiple big league sports franchises. There are far more people in and out of Colorado who know of it than don't.

Hartford and St. Paul are state capitals. Fourth graders know about them, I'd imagine grown adults do too.

Old 09-23-2020, 02:52 PM

9,576 posts, read 7,325,812 times
I was wondering, what is the smallest city that doesn't need a state to know where you're talking about?

While King of Prussia is quite unique (or KOP as the locals call it!), and probably the only one in the entire country, unless you are from the Northeast/Mid-Atlantic or are into shopping, most might not know it's in PA!

Old 09-23-2020, 02:59 PM

453 posts, read 344,682 times
I think Jersey City is pretty obvious.

Old 09-23-2020, 03:34 PM

6,786 posts, read 4,224,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjseliga View Post
I was wondering, what is the smallest city that doesn't need a state to know where you're talking about?

While King of Prussia is quite unique (or KOP as the locals call it!), and probably the only one in the entire country, unless you are from the Northeast/Mid-Atlantic or are into shopping, most might not know it's in PA!

Malibu (population 12k)?

Old 09-23-2020, 05:07 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,704,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000_Watts View Post
Buffalo is only the second largest city in the second largest state in the Union, while still being a top 50 metropolitan area with multiple big league sports franchises. There are far more people in and out of Colorado who know of it than don't.

Hartford and St. Paul are state capitals. Fourth graders know about them, I'd imagine grown adults do too.
New York is 4th largest in population, not second. How would you know what Colorado people know?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjseliga View Post

I grew up in the Pittsburgh area and had never heard of the place until I went to college and met someone from there. Just because a name is weird, that doesn't mean everyone has heard of it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wherewhatwho View Post
I think Jersey City is pretty obvious.
We already went through this. There are many cities with names of other states in them.

Old 09-23-2020, 05:11 PM

9,576 posts, read 7,325,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
I grew up in the Pittsburgh area and had never heard of the place until I went to college and met someone from there. Just because a name is weird, that doesn't mean everyone has heard of it.
Like I said unless you are from the Northeast/Mid-Atlantic or are into shopping, most might not know it's in PA, the 'burgh was basically the Midwest or another planet to us that grew up in Eastern PA, just joking!

Old 09-23-2020, 05:37 PM

6,476 posts, read 6,441,774 times
Should be obvious that Tampa is in Florida. Same with Orlando. Charlotte, Austin, Fort Lauderdale, Savannah, Sacramento, Nashville, Raleigh, Virginia Beach, Louisville, Buffalo, Memphis, I mean its quite a few imo.

Old 09-23-2020, 05:43 PM

4,211 posts, read 3,287,487 times
I've actually had someone ask me which Pittsburgh when I said I was from Pittsburgh before.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.