Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2020, 01:36 PM

3,950 posts, read 3,000,266 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dozener View Post
The largest ethnic group in Texas is German, in terms of ancestry. Mexican is second
I'm fairly certain there are more Brits than Germans in Texas. Germans settled the central area and that's about it. Southerners (that are largely British) settled the south, west, east, north, and central.
I'd bet there are Mexicans than either group though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2020, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whereiend View Post
I seriously doubt that Texans of German descent outnumber those of Mexican descent at this point. That said, these two groups are not mutually exclusive. I'm sure there are many Texans that have both German and Mexican ancestry. Tejano music is a fusion of Mexican and German traditions for example...
I have ancestry from Germany, Austria, and Mexico. The vast majority of my ancestry is British though. The same is true of most of my (white) friends. Most are British. Even the ones that have a German grandparent or great Grandparent, the rest of them is typically British. I have a buddy that is 100% British/Scandinavian (probably 100% British but that's how it comes out on DNA tests) and his family has been in Texas over 100 years.

Old 10-01-2020, 01:42 PM

I'm not sure if Texas is the Switzerland of America or not. But I do know that if I had my choice to pick a place in Europe to settle, it would be Switzerland. Besides foreign policy, they seem to have the most similar laws to America. (low taxes, pretty good gun rights for Europe, and the people seem to be weary of big government in general)

Old 10-01-2020, 01:45 PM

4,147 posts, read 2,956,973 times
As others have said, Texas is too flat overall to be like Switzerland. And honestly, there really isn't anywhere in Europe that has something like the deserts of Big Bend and the Trans Pecos. The closest you have to Texas climate is maybe, maybe the humid subtropical enclaves on the Adriatic that are borderline Mediterranean and therefore resemble something like Austin, but even that's a stretch.

Terrain wise, though, Bavaria is a bit like Texas. You have a small sliver of real, big mountains up to 9000 feet high, kind of like the mountains in the Trans Pecos region. Then you have rolling hills, kind of like Austin. Bavaria still doesn't have a coastline or very hot summers, though.

Old 10-01-2020, 03:20 PM

613 posts, read 326,880 times
Texas is like Bavaria but I think the Germany of America is somewhere in the Midwest. Wisconsin perhaps?

Old 10-01-2020, 03:31 PM

6,805 posts, read 6,027,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by supfromthesite View Post
I'm not sure if Texas is the Switzerland of America or not. But I do know that if I had my choice to pick a place in Europe to settle, it would be Switzerland. Besides foreign policy, they seem to have the most similar laws to America. (low taxes, pretty good gun rights for Europe, and the people seem to be weary of big government in general)
I have a deep grudge against Switzerland because one time I flew into Basel from Berlin and planned to immediately take a bus to France. However, I reeeally had to pee and the stupid public restroom at the train station wouldn’t except Euro coins as payment. It *had* to be Swiss Francs. Dumb country.

Quote:
Originally Posted by illadelph73 View Post
Texas is like Bavaria but I think the Germany of America is somewhere in the Midwest. Wisconsin perhaps?
I know the Midwest has a lot of German Americans, but culturally and topographically I can’t think of any similarities between modern Germany and the Midwest except maybe the popularity of lagers and wurst.

Old 10-01-2020, 04:51 PM

6,222 posts, read 3,593,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boston Shudra View Post
I have a deep grudge against Switzerland because one time I flew into Basel from Berlin and planned to immediately take a bus to France. However, I reeeally had to pee and the stupid public restroom at the train station wouldn’t except Euro coins as payment. It *had* to be Swiss Francs. Dumb country.

I know the Midwest has a lot of German Americans, but culturally and topographically I can’t think of any similarities between modern Germany and the Midwest except maybe the popularity of lagers and wurst.
Yeah, I really don't see any cultural parallels between the modern day Midwest and Germany.

And I drank a ton of beer in Germany ; the pilsners and Hefeweizens are not what the typical lagers that Americans drink (though they are more popular now due to the craft beer movement).

Old 10-02-2020, 07:00 AM

26,874 posts, read 37,997,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boston Shudra View Post
I think Quebec is the Switzerland of North America, with it being officially bilingual.

Quebec isn't officially bilingual. It's officially French only. It does provide quite a few services in English though.

The only bilingual province in Canada is New Brunswick in the east coast Maritimes which has 750,000 people. Not sure I would call it the Switzerland of North America either.

Old 10-02-2020, 07:04 AM

4,147 posts, read 2,956,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Quebec isn't officially bilingual. It's officially French only. It does provide quite a few services in English though.

The only bilingual province in Canada is New Brunswick in the east coast Maritimes which has 750,000 people. Not sure I would call it the Switzerland of North America either.
Costa Rica maybe is the Switzerland of North America for being a free and democratic haven? Climate is completely different, though, as is the culture.

Puerto Rico is officially bilingual.

Texas is far different from anywhere in Europe, but like I say, if you want to compare anywhere in Europe with Texas, it's Bavaria.

Old 10-02-2020, 07:32 AM

3,733 posts, read 2,884,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foamposite View Post
Yeah, I really don't see any cultural parallels between the modern day Midwest and Germany.

And I drank a ton of beer in Germany ; the pilsners and Hefeweizens are not what the typical lagers that Americans drink (though they are more popular now due to the craft beer movement).
LOL, I see as many parallels between the Midwest (Wisconsin) and Germany (even more), than I do Texas and Switzerland.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.