Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2020, 01:19 PM

6,804 posts, read 6,027,453 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by supfromthesite View Post
I could see this happening in Texas if it was it's own country.
From what I know about Texas, it’s residents would cry “communism!” if asked to pay for a public restroom like they do in Europe.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2020, 01:22 PM

4,147 posts, read 2,956,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boston Shudra View Post
From what I know about Texas, it’s residents would cry “communism!” if asked to pay for a public restroom like they do in Europe.
Does Europe have as many publicly built toll roads as Texas, though?

Old 10-02-2020, 01:28 PM

3,950 posts, read 3,000,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boston Shudra View Post
Store owners can make whatever choices they want, and I think most (real) Texans would agree. If you go to a small town gas station (or even in the big city) they will often make you either make a "donation" or buy something to use the restroom. This is essentially the same thing, no? (I have never been outside of America so I really don't know)

Old 10-03-2020, 11:03 AM

9,169 posts, read 13,236,856 times
Default Is Texas the Switzerland of USA?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BakersDozenSupply View Post
What I mean: Switzerland in different sides is dominated by neighboring countries. In the South, Italian is spoken, in the west, French, Northeast German etc. The culture is also representative of the neighboring country.

South Texas in many is almost like an extension of Mexico (because it once was!). East Texas, you’re in the South. West Texas, you’re in the deep west, part of the desert region. While the triangle (Houston-DFW-Austin) is cosmopolitan activity.

Is any other state as dominated culturally by regions?
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
West Virginia comes to mind.
I see what you are saying. Switzerland has 4 native languages, German, French, Italian and a minority language called Romansh. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Languages_of_Switzerland

But the first thing that stands out to me about Switzerland is not its languages, many countries have multiple languages, but its terrain. Its mountainous and hilly terrain. Therefore Ckthankgod has a much better match for Switzerland IMHO - West Virginia. Granted the mountains are much smaller in West Virginia but the state is highly hilly throughout much of the state.

Old 10-03-2020, 11:15 AM

2,029 posts, read 2,358,288 times
Switzerland and Texas in the same sentence. Ahhh, no.

Old 10-03-2020, 01:18 PM

6,804 posts, read 6,027,453 times
Quote:
Store owners can make whatever choices they want, and I think most (real) Texans would agree. If you go to a small town gas station (or even in the big city) they will often make you either make a "donation" or buy something to use the restroom. This is essentially the same thing, no? (I have never been outside of America so I really don't know)
Yeah, essentially the same thing except you’re paying the government to use their bathroom rather than a private company.

Old 10-03-2020, 04:27 PM

399 posts, read 819,940 times
Quote:
I'm fairly certain there are more Brits than Germans in Texas. Germans settled the central area and that's about it. Southerners (that are largely British) settled the south, west, east, north, and central.
I'd bet there are Mexicans than either group though.
Finally someone who points perfectly that Texans descend mostly from Southerners who are mainly of British descent and not 19th century German immigrants.

Old 10-03-2020, 05:35 PM

8,319 posts, read 5,478,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smash XY View Post
Finally someone who points perfectly that Texans descend mostly from Southerners who are mainly of British descent and not 19th century German immigrants.
Really depends on the part of Texas. For north and east Texas, you’re absolutely right. For south Texas, Germans were more prevalent.

Old 10-03-2020, 08:49 PM

4,147 posts, read 2,956,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LINative View Post
I see what you are saying. Switzerland has 4 native languages, German, French, Italian and a minority language called Romansh. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Languages_of_Switzerland

But the first thing that stands out to me about Switzerland is not its languages, many countries have multiple languages, but its terrain. Its mountainous and hilly terrain. Therefore Ckthankgod has a much better match for Switzerland IMHO - West Virginia. Granted the mountains are much smaller in West Virginia but the state is highly hilly throughout much of the state.
If we're talking about terrain, then Washington State is a pretty good match, lots of mountains that are about as tall as the Swiss Alps. And a similar climate, too.

Old 10-04-2020, 02:48 AM

399 posts, read 819,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by As Above So Below... View Post
Really depends on the part of Texas. For north and east Texas, you’re absolutely right. For south Texas, Germans were more prevalent.
Yes I know but far too often people quote the German influence in south Texas like it represents the all state.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.