Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2020, 11:37 AM

1,204 posts, read 778,082 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by boomtown boi View Post
I didn't see where OP asked for a wealthy community...they did say strong sense of community, which Las Vegas NM does seem to have. If they meant financially healthy I suppose that's another story, but it ticks the other things they're asking for.

I do hope positive things are in store for Las Vegas, before the pandemic it was building momentum with the renovation of the Castañeda Hotel, etc.
I agree. I hope they come out of it stronger.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Marcinkiewicz View Post
Not sure if this applies to Las Vegas, New Mexico (a place of which I had not even heard until reading SunGrins' post), but income stats can be skewed in college towns. The 'locals' may still be poor here, I don't know, but any place that has a large proportion of college students in the populace are going to see household income stats brought down by people who aren't even necessarily poor (thanks to family money).
Sure thing. No problem with that. I used to drive through LV, NM a lot; the level of poverty was pretty depressing and very very sad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunGrins View Post
You might need to get out more. New Mexico is a poor state, generally, but with some wide differences in wealth. The state estimated median household income is $53,113 (US = $68,703). San Miguel Co. (Las Vegas = $35,292) is about average for a rural county. Dona Ana Co. (Las Cruces = $38,489), Bernalillo Co. (Albuquerque = $51,372), and Santa Fe Co. (Santa Fe = $60,187) have 3 of the 4 largest cities. Los Alamos Co. (Los Alamos = $124,947) is an extreme outlier. (Fed Reserve figures)

I do. March of 2019 was the last time I was there. You might need to look at thing and assess them truthfully. Of course, LV is not Hobbs or Eunice, but it is a pretty poor place. There is no denying it. I know that NM is a poor state; I love it regardless and would live there in a heart beat if there were opportunities or high paying IT jobs. I am just being honest with OP.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2020, 12:45 PM

1,049 posts, read 653,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyway31 View Post
It seems some of you are thinking ONLY about places in political terms. While I care about a place not being too far to the left or right politically, that was far from all that matters here. I'm looking for a strong, healthy community with actively involved citizens. I'm looking for a good place to live! I can't believe someone actually mentioned Bakersfield, CA lol.
Bowling Green, KY and Saint George, UT deserves a look. Huntsville, AL and Urbana/Champaign, IL would be other good choices.

Flagstaff, AZ may also be worth a look a lot of the smaller cities out West are pretty live and let live.

Old 10-04-2020, 02:08 PM

2,388 posts, read 2,341,464 times
Does Champaign have jobs outside of the university? Blue and white collar with okay wages? Might be an alternative to Chicago for me.

Old 10-05-2020, 04:16 PM

1,950 posts, read 2,298,854 times
https://www.cnn.com/travel/article/2...ity-in-america ' Los Alamos , NM

Old 10-06-2020, 10:56 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,759,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv95 View Post
Does Champaign have jobs outside of the university? Blue and white collar with okay wages? Might be an alternative to Chicago for me.
Not much. Here's the list:
https://www.news-gazette.com/news/hi...8f57baa0c.html
Top 3 are U of I, way ahead of the rest, Carle health system, and Champaign public schools

Mostly education, health care and government

Old 10-07-2020, 06:05 AM

3,409 posts, read 4,633,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fivenine View Post
Bowling Green, KY and Saint George, UT deserves a look. Huntsville, AL and Urbana/Champaign, IL would be other good choices.

Flagstaff, AZ may also be worth a look a lot of the smaller cities out West are pretty live and let live.
Flagstaff is a college town, not a live and let live mentality area.

Old 10-07-2020, 06:23 AM

2,539 posts, read 2,314,343 times
Lancaster, Pennsylvania for sure.

It is a small/medium size metro of about 500,000.

Amenities include Apple Store, Whole Foods and West Elm to give you a sense that it has a solid median income and population.

The downtown area is one of the most historic in the USA and can rival any town in New England. (It was briefly the USA capital).

It has direct rail access to Philadelphia (60 minutes) and NYC (120 minutes).

It is home to Franklin and Marshall College, which is a top tier liberal arts school, considered to be a mini ivy and also home to a large state university so there is a large influx of educated individuals.

It also has a booming arts scene and is home to one of the largest organic markets in the USA. Check it out.

https://nypost.com/2016/09/20/the-ne...to-buggy-town/

Old 06-10-2021, 08:26 AM

1,882 posts, read 3,111,603 times
Figured I'd give this a bump, in case others with other ideas see it and chime in! Something important to me is sunshine. Places that have extended periods of gray don't work for me.

Old 06-10-2021, 10:16 AM

3,338 posts, read 6,900,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fivenine View Post

St. George might not be what the OP is looking for. It is very LDS, nearly 70% of the population. It is dry, hot, desolate and is more popular for retirees than younger people.

Old 06-10-2021, 10:22 AM

50,290 posts, read 47,043,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
Then go just a short ways south to Pueblo. Unlike Colorado Springs, it just barely went for Trump.
Ya, bad idea

https://krdo.com/news/2020/01/10/fbi...iolent-crimes/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.