U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-03-2020, 11:41 PM

Location: ho said they lost a customer because they wanna defund the police I wanna know who you are, and much
125 posts, read 93,372 times

Advertisements

I have made a homeless thread before but this is more about homeless-less cities. Is there any city with more than 100k or even 50k that just has no homeless? Or at least, very rare like you see a couple in a few years or so.

I read Mississippi has the lowest population of them ratio wise, and maybe Oklahoma but they may still exist. If we cannot find one with literally none which one has the least?

In every place in CA there are plenty of them aside from nicer suburbs or really rural towns. Not that I want to get away from them but I have heard some people said they have seen only a few in a lifetime, if not zero, probably small town people. That is until they traveled somewhere else or moved here. My dad said he saw virtually none in Pennsylvania until he moved to CA in his 20s.

However it is true we cannot always tell what a homeless guy looks like or some homed people look homeless.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2020, 01:05 AM

1,433 posts, read 1,781,444 times
Do you mean unsheltered homeless? The ones who are visible sleeping on the streets, along riverbanks, in the woods, etc?

There are many homeless that have shelter like in a city owned shelter or safe house. Also there are beggars who are not homeless, just beg for money because it is easy money, and act like homeless. Also those who are homeless and sleeping on peoples sofa or spare room for reasons like their house caught fire, or they fled an abusive relationship. Different cities count their homeless differently. It is really easy to identify those who are sleeping rough versus sheltered. Some may not even count those who are temporarily homeless.

Old 10-04-2020, 01:43 AM

4,769 posts, read 7,060,912 times
The cities with the smallest share of homeless people are likely to be in either cities with very cold weather or those with a very low cost of living — or both.

Old 10-04-2020, 02:41 AM

Location: ho said they lost a customer because they wanna defund the police I wanna know who you are, and much
125 posts, read 93,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citylove101 View Post
The cities with the smallest share of homeless people are likely to be in either cities with very cold weather or those with a very low cost of living — or both.
I would think like Detroit, Milwaukee, Minneapolis, Buffalo and any cities near them

Old 10-04-2020, 06:45 AM

767 posts, read 336,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DuctTapedToCokeMachine View Post
I would think like Detroit, Milwaukee, Minneapolis, Buffalo and any cities near them
Considering there are so many homes one can just walk into and "have"?

I've noticed in Vermont that virtually the entire homeless population is in Burlington, and I imagine it's for good reason. This is just speculation, but I'm aware of only Burlington having any services and facilities for homeless. There are almost no abandoned or vacant homes, and it's just about impossible to survive a winter without heat, so it makes sense to me that if you put all of the services in one place, it will displace all of the homeless from everywhere else in the state.

Old 10-04-2020, 07:24 AM

524 posts, read 175,214 times
I believe Salt Lake City was lauded for having virtually no homeless people at one point. However that's going back a few years and I don't think that's the case today.

Old 10-04-2020, 08:12 AM

2,541 posts, read 1,788,197 times
Quote:
In the last few years the estimate of "unsheltered homeless" has ranged from between 12 and 60 people in the Buffalo area (out of a total population over 1M). There have been recent expansions of facilities by the agencies and charities that provide housing assistance. In the last year I have only encountered one "homeless" person, who I regularly see sleeping along one of the bike paths, but he looks more like a camper/traveler than truly homeless (healthy looking, new boots, decent looking possessions, etc). The daily PIT numbers of people in and out of shelters averages about 1000 for the region.

Old 10-04-2020, 05:21 PM
sub

2,744 posts, read 1,184,294 times
Quote:
I have made a homeless thread before but this is more about homeless-less cities. Is there any city with more than 100k or even 50k that just has no homeless? Or at least, very rare like you see a couple in a few years or so.

I read Mississippi has the lowest population of them ratio wise, and maybe Oklahoma but they may still exist. If we cannot find one with literally none which one has the least?

In every place in CA there are plenty of them aside from nicer suburbs or really rural towns. Not that I want to get away from them but I have heard some people said they have seen only a few in a lifetime, if not zero, probably small town people. That is until they traveled somewhere else or moved here. My dad said he saw virtually none in Pennsylvania until he moved to CA in his 20s.

However it is true we cannot always tell what a homeless guy looks like or some homed people look homeless.
Generally, out west, particularly the southwest, seems to have the most observable homelessness.
If you’re in California, you will have a particularly skewed view of things. I’ve never seen anywhere else quite like it is there.
In much of the south and Midwest, one nearly has to go looking for homeless camps to find them when and if there are any to be found. Usually, it will be in downtown or rundown areas. It’s just not that common.
All sorts of things can lead to homelessness but it seems that the more expensive housing is, the more homeless you will see. Surely that plays a role for at least some of these people. Perhaps more affordable areas=fewer homeless.

Old 10-04-2020, 09:00 PM

2,493 posts, read 1,808,123 times
Minneapolis has many visible homeless despite the cold, and I seem to see more each time I go. Lots of tents in parks this time around. Most of it is because MN has the biggest social services safety net, which is attractive to homeless.

Old 10-04-2020, 10:54 PM

127 posts, read 231,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCity76 View Post
I believe Salt Lake City was lauded for having virtually no homeless people at one point. However that's going back a few years and I don't think that's the case today.
Definitely not the case, we have our fair share of homeless.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.