Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2020, 09:14 PM

55 posts, read 48,041 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citykid3785 View Post
Pretty much any mid-sized town along the southern Appalachian corridor. You get some of the conservatism, Christian south, with low cost of living, 4 seasons, and some snow.
Thank you!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2020, 09:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by supfromthesite View Post
Western North Carolina and Eastern Tennessee would be good choices too. I suggest New Bern, NC and Sewanee, TN. Might be too small for you but I would love to live in or near either of these towns. They are VERY cool imo. There are lots of historic places in this region, you could also look up North to Virginia or Maryland.
Thanks, I'll look up those towns!!

Old 10-06-2020, 09:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
I wasn’t going to do this, but if you are open to NY and given your criteria, a place like Saratoga Springs or nearby Ballston Spa would fit. Saratoga Springs is a small city with very good schools and with a more affluent feel to it. Ballston Spa is a smaller village minutes away. Saratoga County has a property tax rate of 1.624% and it is the fastest growing county in the state outside of the NYC metro area. Schuylerville(pronounces sky-ler-ville) is an even smaller village with good schools in the county. Global Foundries in Malta is a big and growing employer and Knolls Atomic Power Laboratory has a facility in the county, as well as nearby in Niskayuna.

Snowfall is on par with the Denver area in terms of average snowfall and because it is in the Albany-Schenectady-Troy area, it is minutes from Albany International Airport for flights.

It also has a train station and in turn, trips via rail on the Adirondack route to either NYC or Montreal are options.

For the kids, Six Flags Great Escape Amusement Park and Lake George minutes north would be places to go to.

You are also close to plenty of mountains and other lakes.

There are other places, but I’ll leave it there.
Thank you again, I appreciate all you have shared!

Old 10-06-2020, 09:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sub View Post
For what it’s worth, 500k might be a good bit different in Wisconsin than what you’re used to. Ohio maybe even more so and it’s a little better on taxes. St. Louis is okay, but it’s got nothing on what can be found elsewhere.
Also, property taxes vary widely from one county to the next in WI
Hmm, are you saying there might actually be affordable places to live in WI (as far as not taxing us out the wazoo?)? For reference, the property tax rate in CO is 3rd lowest in the country (I don't think for long, though). However, real estate is so astronomically high here, many would be taxed out of the state, if the property taxes went to more of an average rate for the country. And, I know you are correct about how far 500k goes in WI and OH, as compared to here. For reference, in our historic neighborhood, a 900 SF bungalow was sold last year for 540k, destroyed and leveled, and a 3000 square foot new home was put in its place. It sold for almost 1.6 million. The house isn't even made of brick!!! It is a charmless box. A bungalow or small tudor that actually has some charm, goes for at least 650k (for something about 12 square feet above grade).

I actually really loved the twin cities, when I went through there years ago. It was charming, rolling, and green. Politically though, it might be really hard on my husband. Maybe there are "pockets" are slightly more balanced areas, politically speaking??

Regarding St. Louis, have you lived there? I'd love to pick the brain of someone that knows the area.

Thanks again!!

Old 10-06-2020, 09:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
States ranked by public school quality (US News & World Report):
1- Massachusetts
2- New Jersey
3- New Hampshire
4- Vermont
5- Connecticut

Massachusetts has Proposition 2 1/2 limiting property taxes. Most places are in the 1% to 1.6% of market value. Your $500k house would pay $5k to $7k in property taxes. It's a flat 5% state income tax. Generally, if you're beyond rational commuting distance from the Boston jobs, property prices become affordable.

The cities and college towns in New England are liberal. The 'burbs and more rural areas are moderate. Blue collar towns have Trump signs. Fundamentalists are pretty rare unicorns anywhere in New England.

In New Hampshire, property tax rates vary wildly depending on the tax base of the town. Portsmouth is what you're describing but $700k won't buy much. You could buy in Rye and the mill rate there is $10.11 per thousand. The winters on the NH Seacoast are moderate.

Vermont has a stiff state school property tax but it's means tested. You have to do the math on your income, your husband's business income, and decide for yourself. For the median household income in the state, it's a fairly moderate tax burden. If you're a 5%er, it's a pretty large tax burden. Generally, Chittenden County around Burlington and the upper CT river valley across from Dartmouth College/Hanover NH are the most desirable places to live.

There are places in Connecticut on the shore east of New Haven that might work.

The places I know in northern NJ that meet your metrics are well beyond your price range. The NYC impact on real estate prices.
This statement made me laugh:

"Generally, if you're beyond rational commuting distance from the Boston jobs, property prices become affordable."

I'm sure that is TRUTH!

I actually visited Boston last year for a conference, and loved it. I stayed at a B&B in Back Bay for 5 nights. The housing options I was interested in, were higher than here (and understandably so; it is Boston after all)

Thanks for all this information. I'm going to look into some of the smaller areas that you mentioned. I think New England just may not be in the cards for us though. I'm worried that it would be more of a lateral move financially, and a big part of our motivation is to cash in to our equity, and have some funds leftover...

Old 10-07-2020, 07:18 AM
sub

4,963 posts, read 3,757,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoradoGal74 View Post
Hmm, are you saying there might actually be affordable places to live in WI (as far as not taxing us out the wazoo?)? For reference, the property tax rate in CO is 3rd lowest in the country (I don't think for long, though). However, real estate is so astronomically high here, many would be taxed out of the state, if the property taxes went to more of an average rate for the country. And, I know you are correct about how far 500k goes in WI and OH, as compared to here. For reference, in our historic neighborhood, a 900 SF bungalow was sold last year for 540k, destroyed and leveled, and a 3000 square foot new home was put in its place. It sold for almost 1.6 million. The house isn't even made of brick!!! It is a charmless box. A bungalow or small tudor that actually has some charm, goes for at least 650k (for something about 12 square feet above grade).

I actually really loved the twin cities, when I went through there years ago. It was charming, rolling, and green. Politically though, it might be really hard on my husband. Maybe there are "pockets" are slightly more balanced areas, politically speaking??

Regarding St. Louis, have you lived there? I'd love to pick the brain of someone that knows the area.

Thanks again!!
Replacing bungalows for 1.6 million-dollar monstrosities simply doesn't happen in Wisconsin from what I've ever seen.
After re-reading your original post, 700k budget would be overly sufficient for just about anything you would expect to get in WI. Charming historical areas are abundant and well-cared for, and they aren’t the most expensive areas.
In the more quaint suburbs of Milwaukee, 200-350k will afford an extremely nice home. For neighborhoods like that, suburbs like Whitefish Bay and Greendale are also known for good schools.
Port Washington is on the lake and in a lower-taxed county whereas Milwaukee county can be a bit pricey with the taxes. It might be the first place I'd look as well as Cedarburg.

Just about any place in Wisconsin, especially in older neighborhoods, will be walkable with sidewalks and parks everywhere. It's the most family-oriented place I've lived.
In communities where public schools might be less than stellar, private schools are abundant since the area is heavily Catholic and Lutheran with a healthy dose of evangelic-type schools as well. Non-religious private schools aren't as common.
It's not at all difficult to find good public schools in Wisconsin though, if you're so inclined.

Financially, I'm in a much different place, but still find WI to be very affordable. Property taxes where we live is more in the 1.5-2k a year for 150k house, but that's the equivalent of a 4-500k house elsewhere. We live in a smaller city in a lower-taxed county.
I would have liked to have found a place out west that was clean and cheap with low crime, but that seems to be like finding a unicorn out there. That's why we stick with the midwest.
You did mention not really considering New England due to the winters, so that would also be the downside to Wisconsin. Even if I didn't like winter, I'd still think WI is one of the most pleasant, livable places in the country. It also has some of the best outdoor recreation east of the Rockies as long as you don't require mountains.
Small towns aren't to be overlooked.

Missouri.
My experience there is more with Kansas City and also the Ozarks in the south of the state.
I personally prefer KC to St. Louis, but for the average person I don't know that there's a huge difference.
It's definitely a lower-taxed state. Moderate-conservative politics. Weather might be more of a sweet-spot, but it can get crazy storms from time to time.
It's also a nice balance between north and south culturally.
Suburban areas can have some really good schools but the historic charm is more likely found in the cities and maybe a few of the smaller towns.
KC makes me think of a little bit grittier, politically more moderate version of the Twin Cities for some reason. Maybe it's because the way they're laid out and built.
Sorry I can't help more with St. Louis. I have family there and have been there countless times, but it's never been a place I've looked into as a place to live so I don't know the ins and outs of it.
The Ozarks I have a harder time recommending.
A lot of people do end up in Northwest Arkansas. Honestly you can get all the perks of it for the same (if not lower) price, with more amenities, in almost any big city suburb in the midwest. Arkansas still has a ton of catching up to do as a state no matter how much progress has been done in one little corner. To be fair, I'm also a bit tainted because I grew up there and while I love my family and appreciate all that, I've always struggled with liking Arkansas for some reason, especially after being exposed to other parts of the country.

Last edited by sub; 10-07-2020 at 08:06 AM..

Old 10-07-2020, 07:18 AM

2,539 posts, read 2,313,324 times
I would suggest Pennsylvania for sure.

I am not sure of your housing budget. But check out Lancaster, Pennsylvania.

It has amenities that include an Apple Store, Whole Foods, Wegmans, and West Elm to give you a sense of its median income which is strong.

And has one of the most historic downtowns in the country (it was the USA capital briefly).

It has all 4 seasons and all are quite temperate without any extremes.

And has direct rail access to Philadelphia (60 minutes) and NYC (120 minutes).

It is also close to DC and the Jersey and Delaware beaches in the summer months! It really is one of the most beautiful cities in the country with also a very strong organic food and arts movement.

It is home to Franklin and Marshall college considered a liberal ivy and home to a large state university so you will find the crowd to be quite cosmopolitan. Good luck!

Pennsylvania is an absolutely beautiful state that is still affordable on the East Coast.

Old 10-07-2020, 09:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sub View Post
Replacing bungalows for 1.6 million-dollar monstrosities simply doesn't happen in Wisconsin from what I've ever seen.
After re-reading your original post, 700k budget would be overly sufficient for just about anything you would expect to get in WI. Charming historical areas are abundant and well-cared for, and they aren’t the most expensive areas.
In the more quaint suburbs of Milwaukee, 200-350k will afford an extremely nice home. For neighborhoods like that, suburbs like Whitefish Bay and Greendale are also known for good schools.
Port Washington is on the lake and in a lower-taxed county whereas Milwaukee county can be a bit pricey with the taxes. It might be the first place I'd look as well as Cedarburg.

Just about any place in Wisconsin, especially in older neighborhoods, will be walkable with sidewalks and parks everywhere. It's the most family-oriented place I've lived.
In communities where public schools might be less than stellar, private schools are abundant since the area is heavily Catholic and Lutheran with a healthy dose of evangelic-type schools as well. Non-religious private schools aren't as common.
It's not at all difficult to find good public schools in Wisconsin though, if you're so inclined.

Financially, I'm in a much different place, but still find WI to be very affordable. Property taxes where we live is more in the 1.5-2k a year for 150k house, but that's the equivalent of a 4-500k house elsewhere. We live in a smaller city in a lower-taxed county.
I would have liked to have found a place out west that was clean and cheap with low crime, but that seems to be like finding a unicorn out there. That's why we stick with the midwest.
You did mention not really considering New England due to the winters, so that would also be the downside to Wisconsin. Even if I didn't like winter, I'd still think WI is one of the most pleasant, livable places in the country. It also has some of the best outdoor recreation east of the Rockies as long as you don't require mountains.
Small towns aren't to be overlooked.

Missouri.
My experience there is more with Kansas City and also the Ozarks in the south of the state.
I personally prefer KC to St. Louis, but for the average person I don't know that there's a huge difference.
It's definitely a lower-taxed state. Moderate-conservative politics. Weather might be more of a sweet-spot, but it can get crazy storms from time to time.
It's also a nice balance between north and south culturally.
Suburban areas can have some really good schools but the historic charm is more likely found in the cities and maybe a few of the smaller towns.
KC makes me think of a little bit grittier, politically more moderate version of the Twin Cities for some reason. Maybe it's because the way they're laid out and built.
Sorry I can't help more with St. Louis. I have family there and have been there countless times, but it's never been a place I've looked into as a place to live so I don't know the ins and outs of it.
The Ozarks I have a harder time recommending.
A lot of people do end up in Northwest Arkansas. Honestly you can get all the perks of it for the same (if not lower) price, with more amenities, in almost any big city suburb in the midwest. Arkansas still has a ton of catching up to do as a state no matter how much progress has been done in one little corner. To be fair, I'm also a bit tainted because I grew up there and while I love my family and appreciate all that, I've always struggled with liking Arkansas for some reason, especially after being exposed to other parts of the country.
Thank you so much for this really thoughtful response. I SO appreciate all your thoughts! I honestly believe everything you say about Wisconsin. I've met some people from there, and they are lovely (reminded me of folks from IN). And, as you mentioned, it is an outdoor paradise (from what I've gleaned). I don't need mountains, I've lived by them for 23 years... I think I'd fall in love with the summers in WI, as well as fall and spring - which would make up for a long winter. Honestly, I love nights by a fire reading a book (with snow falling outside). If I were forced to choose, I'd take a hard winter over a place that doesn't get any winter at all...

I think I'll take another look at WI. It sounds like the property tax in some areas is only 1%, which is doable. We'd probably want to find a little enclave that isn't as liberal, though. Perhaps that is available in the small towns you mentioned. I'm going to look some things up!!! Thank you again!!

Old 10-07-2020, 09:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowhomecity View Post
I would suggest Pennsylvania for sure.

I am not sure of your housing budget. But check out Lancaster, Pennsylvania.

It has amenities that include an Apple Store, Whole Foods, Wegmans, and West Elm to give you a sense of its median income which is strong.

And has one of the most historic downtowns in the country (it was the USA capital briefly).

It has all 4 seasons and all are quite temperate without any extremes.

And has direct rail access to Philadelphia (60 minutes) and NYC (120 minutes).

It is also close to DC and the Jersey and Delaware beaches in the summer months! It really is one of the most beautiful cities in the country with also a very strong organic food and arts movement.

It is home to Franklin and Marshall college considered a liberal ivy and home to a large state university so you will find the crowd to be quite cosmopolitan. Good luck!

Pennsylvania is an absolutely beautiful state that is still affordable on the East Coast.
Thanks so very much!!! I actually know first hand the beauty of PA. I spent a few years outside of Philly growing up. The natural beauty shaped who I was as a child. We were just in a burb, so I didn't have the kind of neighborhood that I'm looking for now, but I know that they exist. We were actually even looking at Pittsburgh (despite its crazy winters). But, I am now going to look up Lancaster!! Thank you!!

Old 10-09-2020, 01:30 AM

16,078 posts, read 10,744,030 times
There are some spectacular old neighborhoods in St. Louis. I suspect that you can find something that needs some TLC for a very reasonable price and put maybe $100,000 in it for a nice historic showplace. The contractors and craftsman are there. I have lost track of the school situation. My brother lives near one of the city parks and rehabbed a two family foursquare from the 1890s into a large single family home.

There are other towns in Missouri that would meet your standards with nice homes. Rural Missouri is too conservative for my tastes but there are some blueish enclaves in places. I lived in Jefferson City (capital city) for a long time and it had a few nice older neighborhoods. Other towns like Columbia, Sedalia, Fulton, Washington, or Boonville, might fit. These are not in the Ozarks but mostly Missouri River hills and bluffs. It is a wine growing area. Prices will not be anything like Denver.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.