Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-04-2020, 02:34 PM

606 posts, read 415,748 times

Advertisements

I guess this is part 2 of my original thing. So to clear something up first, I learned Utah is not midwest but I guess I've heard the broad assumption that anything between the coasts is. Or at least a chunk of it.

I really don't want to get into personal details although I'd be happy to respond by PM for those who are curious or able and willing to give more advice on that end.

In short, Salt Lake City didn't work out well. This isn't a thread bashing the city. It is actually pretty ok. I don't think my personality works out for that crowd. I unfortunately had to leave on short notice to come and stay in Columbia, SC. I've actually been here a ton of times as a child and lived in the Lexington area from 04-05. My brother's dad (who I am temporarily staying with)and all his family were out here.

As an adult I don't think Columbia is what I'm looking for. I've heard people around me mentioning Charlotte in a positive light. I'm finding it's too homogenous and I dress a bit differently and am still used to city living so I feel like I stick out like a sore thumb.

I am a single female now in her late 20s. I am looking for an arts community. I have found a school that I would like to go to. I have also found a rock climbing gym as well. I work in healthcare and have most of my experience in home health. I would like to get back into drawing, painting and ceramics because frankly nursing is starting to wear on me. This year made me look back and see what's important in my life. For me further pursuing my talent is at the top of the list.

I also would like an area with more reasonable rents so I can have my own apartment and another pet or two. I really don't like rural areas as I've discovered from coming back to SC.

The biggest challenge now is working on my driver's license. I've got a permit and have driven before.I took the bus and trains in nyc and subway because I preferred taking mass transit. I may be starting a job soon and although me and brother's dad are working out the car thing I'm not sure how it'll truly play out once I start working. I have explained it to all places I have applied and fortunately they were understanding.

In the long run though I think I may be more willing to give Charlotte a try. I really don't see much room for advancement here in Columbia but I'm gonna take it a week at a time I guess. I suppose it also helps I'll be doing longer shifts so it'll be easy to pick up overtime for extra money.

It does feel weird to come live here again especially unexpectedly. Even though I grew up in TN I kinda feel like an outsider and feel more acclimated to a city environment.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2020, 10:38 AM

1,537 posts, read 1,504,948 times
You have your southern roots dictating where your adult persona wants to live. There is no better way than getting around in a city without a car like NYC. Seattle is a large city and way more progressive than Louisville or Columbia or Charlotte.

You need to ask where is a good median? Certainly, Charlotte is an up and coming city, and is the definition of the New South. However, you will need an automobile to enjoy Charlotte Proper.

You have lived all over the US. What do you like? It's good to get advice from family and friends but you must make the decision.

Old 10-06-2020, 03:34 PM

473 posts, read 337,630 times
Charlotte is a cool place, so is the research triangle, so is wilmington. It depends on what you are going for. Charlotte may be a good balance between big city, liberal leaning, and fairly diverse (at least compared to SLC or a few other places- not a knock, just the way it is). Have you considered NOLA? No mountains, but a cool community nonetheless. Best of luck.

Old 10-06-2020, 04:28 PM

3,950 posts, read 2,946,908 times
Asheville
Savannah, GA
Maybe Chapel Hill

Old 10-07-2020, 02:02 AM

606 posts, read 415,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hickoryfan View Post
You have your southern roots dictating where your adult persona wants to live. There is no better way than getting around in a city without a car like NYC. Seattle is a large city and way more progressive than Louisville or Columbia or Charlotte.

You need to ask where is a good median? Certainly, Charlotte is an up and coming city, and is the definition of the New South. However, you will need an automobile to enjoy Charlotte Proper.

You have lived all over the US. What do you like? It's good to get advice from family and friends but you must make the decision.
Thank you all for answering!

If I have to be honest it feels like I don't belong here, even as a native southerner. My own homestate wasn't much better for me personally. This year has went down the drain for me. I honestly never anticipated moving around so much in one year although sightseeing and traveling was great.

I'm trying really hard to adapt to life outside of the city but it honestly feels like I'm selling my soul to live hear. I know that's a weird thing to say but I can't describe it any other way. I agree with the car part and I am working on it I'm grateful I have not had to spend anymore money on driving school so I think I should have that solved by the end of the month.

As far as what I like? I do not do snow. I did not miss the thunderstorms we have down here when I was in Seattle. For some reason strong winds make me nervous lol. I really enjoyed the evergreens. When I went to Salt Lake it felt too exposed so I don't think I should live anywhere with few trees. I'm not super liberal however I think I have gotten too liberal to feel at home where I'm at. I guess I'm somewhere in the middle. I enjoy having different places to eat so a food desert wouldn't do. I also like somewhere that I can take walks.

It seems I did better in the NE and the PNW. I actually kinda miss Seattle but if I ever decided to go back I'll probably live in North Seattle, Shoreline or Tacoma or somewhere just outside of the city. I realize a lot of places and things I enjoyed won't come back.

For now I'm staying situated in a place. I've managed to find some jobs and 1 is remote and pays really well and is full time so I'm keeping my fingers crossed on that one.

I haven't considered NOLA and I'm not sure I would. But the local cuisine does sound tasty.

Edit: At one point I did consider Savannah but it was mainly because I wanted to go to SCAD.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.