Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2020, 10:36 AM

4,147 posts, read 2,958,578 times

Advertisements

Which cities do you find that have horrible traffic for solo drivers but where for those in the carpool lane or express lane, there is hardly any traffic?

I'd say Los Angeles. Horrible traffic, but you're golden if you're in the HOV lane or express/toll lane. If all you do is drive in the HOV or express lanes in LA, "freeway congestion" won't even be in your vocabulary. You'll blow pass cars not in the carpool lane at warp speed during rush hour.

Would you agree with my assessment of LA? What are some other metros where the traffic is horrible but actually a piece of cake if you drive in the carpool or express lanes?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2020, 10:49 AM

1,676 posts, read 1,082,995 times
For NYC Metro, I wouldn't go as far as to say a piece of cake but the HOV lanes on the LIE (Long Island Expressway) do significantly improve the hellacious traffic experience that has long been known as the "world's longest parking lot".

Old 10-09-2020, 01:16 PM

18,980 posts, read 32,640,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrJester View Post
Which cities do you find that have horrible traffic for solo drivers but where for those in the carpool lane or express lane, there is hardly any traffic?

I'd say Los Angeles. Horrible traffic, but you're golden if you're in the HOV lane or express/toll lane. If all you do is drive in the HOV or express lanes in LA, "freeway congestion" won't even be in your vocabulary. You'll blow pass cars not in the carpool lane at warp speed during rush hour.

Would you agree with my assessment of LA? What are some other metros where the traffic is horrible but actually a piece of cake if you drive in the carpool or express lanes?
I think the HOV lanes in LA are pretty crowded actually. They don't really seem to have a lot of capacity especially if they convert them to HOT lanes like they want to.

Bay Area carpools lanes are pretty congested too imo. The I-80 carpool lanes from Richmond down to the Bay Bridge require 3 people because they are so congested and some other carpool segments in the region might see the threshold upped too.

San Diego has good HOT lanes, especially the I-15 corridor with the adjustable barrier.

Old 10-09-2020, 03:28 PM

8,302 posts, read 5,699,271 times
Dallas is definitely a contender.

Old 10-09-2020, 03:34 PM

1,013 posts, read 910,992 times
I know NY and DC and it’s good to have an ezpass, my monthly ezpass is more than some people pay in rents!

Old 10-09-2020, 05:26 PM

1,676 posts, read 1,082,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Koji7 View Post
I know NY and DC and it’s good to have an ezpass, my monthly ezpass is more than some people pay in rents!
This.

Old 10-09-2020, 08:36 PM

3,715 posts, read 3,697,411 times
Atlanta and the twin cities, HOV and express lanes are both useful and accessable

Old 10-09-2020, 09:12 PM

3,291 posts, read 2,769,912 times
I am interested, because I used to slug in DC area, in the HOV lanes (semi-organized hitchhiking). that seemed to work pretty well. but, still, the HOV lanes were way underused compared to the regular lanes. the HOV lanes on 279 in Pittsburgh are also underused, but man it does take some time off of the commute.

Old 10-09-2020, 09:21 PM

2,088 posts, read 1,970,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
I think the HOV lanes in LA are pretty crowded actually. They don't really seem to have a lot of capacity especially if they convert them to HOT lanes like they want to.

Bay Area carpools lanes are pretty congested too imo. The I-80 carpool lanes from Richmond down to the Bay Bridge require 3 people because they are so congested and some other carpool segments in the region might see the threshold upped too.

San Diego has good HOT lanes, especially the I-15 corridor with the adjustable barrier.
Yeah, LA carpool lanes have a fair amount of traffic. Usually they are better than the main lanes unless there is an accident, but not always by much.

Old 10-13-2020, 09:59 AM

4,147 posts, read 2,958,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by _Buster View Post
I am interested, because I used to slug in DC area, in the HOV lanes (semi-organized hitchhiking). that seemed to work pretty well. but, still, the HOV lanes were way underused compared to the regular lanes. the HOV lanes on 279 in Pittsburgh are also underused, but man it does take some time off of the commute.
Hmm, so sounds like the DC HOV lanes are underused and thus very effective in bypassing traffic. How good are the 495 express lanes? DC traffic is very bad, but sounds like it can be avoided often simply by using HOV and toll lanes, right?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.