Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2020, 08:49 AM

724 posts, read 498,211 times

Advertisements

As I've mentioned on some of my previous threads , buying a relatively big for a single person ( i.e. at least three or four , but preferably five or six acres ) plot of land has been pretty high on my to do list ever since I've come into some money due to an insurance settlement .

The Greater DC area is my main area of interest due to work related reasons and so far I haven't met with much success at finding plots that fit my price range ( $200k at the high end , with $100k at the lower being preferable ) , which is why I'm interested in getting some pointers from the good folks here at City Data .

FWIW/if it helps I'm mainly interested in counties that tend to be on the very lax side with respect to laws and regulations concerning setting up a mobile home for personal residential purposes on your own plot of land/building your own house on your own plot of land and so forth .

In short counties that are more tolerant then intolerant of swampneck biker headbangers like myself whose personal idea of paradise is to lead a live and let live existence on their own secluded few acres .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2020, 09:26 AM

1,646 posts, read 1,043,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lionel Fauquier View Post
As I've mentioned on some of my previous threads , buying a relatively big for a single person ( i.e. at least three or four , but preferably five or six acres ) plot of land has been pretty high on my to do list ever since I've come into some money due to an insurance settlement .

The Greater DC area is my main area of interest due to work related reasons and so far I haven't met with much success at finding plots that fit my price range ( $200k at the high end , with $100k at the lower being preferable ) , which is why I'm interested in getting some pointers from the good folks here at City Data .

FWIW/if it helps I'm mainly interested in counties that tend to be on the very lax side with respect to laws and regulations concerning setting up a mobile home for personal residential purposes on your own plot of land/building your own house on your own plot of land and so forth .

In short counties that are more tolerant then intolerant of swampneck biker headbangers like myself whose personal idea of paradise is to lead a live and let live existence on their own secluded few acres .
Prince George's County (MD), Frederick County (MD) and Prince William County (VA). Those 3 counties should give you plenty of options.

Old 10-10-2020, 09:32 AM

724 posts, read 498,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCity76 View Post
Prince George's County (MD), Frederick County (MD) and Prince William County (VA). Those 3 counties should give you plenty of options.

Isn't land in all these counties relatively expensive/hard to do with what you want due to excessive regulations and such ?

Thanks for the answer though !

Last edited by Lionel Fauquier; 10-10-2020 at 09:59 AM..

Old 10-10-2020, 11:38 AM

13,966 posts, read 24,058,290 times
This seems like a really tall order for the DC metro. I can't imagine getting that much land for that little money anywhere near DC, maybe closer to Baltimore or in WV?

Old 10-10-2020, 12:57 PM

92,444 posts, read 122,695,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnc2mbfl View Post
This seems like a really tall order for the DC metro. I can't imagine getting that much land for that little money anywhere near DC, maybe closer to Baltimore or in WV?
I was going to say the portion of the Eastern Panhandle of WV in the DC Metro is likely the best bet. Maybe around Shepherdstown, Charles Town or Ranson in Jefferson County is what I’m thinking about.

Old 10-10-2020, 01:09 PM

1,646 posts, read 1,043,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lionel Fauquier View Post
Isn't land in all these counties relatively expensive/hard to do with what you want due to excessive regulations and such ?

Thanks for the answer though !
Sure thing. No, you can actually find land fairly easily in all those counties I listed. I also listed counties with towns closer to DC (within 45 min drive, traffic notwithstanding). Charles being the furthest of the 3 I listed. If you go to further out suburbs (1 hour+ away) you can find more options to suit your palate.

Bowie, MD ( PG County) isn't far outside DC and there's plenty of lots within your range. Regarding any strict regulations in these places I'm not sure offhand and you'll want to confirm. But for your price range, you can definitely find some lots here.

Old 10-11-2020, 05:32 AM

Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
8,057 posts, read 7,449,234 times
Depending on how far out from immediate DC metro matters a lot here. Once you get outside the 25 mile sphere your options increase dramatically. Southern, MD you may like (Charles, Calvert, St. Mary's etc.), or Faquier County, Western Loudoun, or WVA like Harper's Ferry/Charles town. You also could go northward towards Mt. Airy or places in Carroll County, MD, which is an exurb of Baltimore, but 35 miles due north of DC. All of these places are at least an hour from DC with any kind of regular traffic.

Old 10-11-2020, 09:06 AM

26,977 posts, read 43,502,112 times
Charles County (MD) would be my vote, around the more central areas to points further south. There's quite a bit listed in your price range...

https://www.trulia.com/for_sale/38.5...ND_type/5p_ls/

Old 10-11-2020, 04:34 PM

2,744 posts, read 2,387,338 times
For 200k in the DC area, you'll need to go to West Virginia, far southern Maryland or exurban areas on Northern Virginia. Not sure what your work is but neither of these options are particularly close to DC or Tyson/Reston/Arlington/Alexandria.

Old 10-11-2020, 05:01 PM

6,663 posts, read 4,114,702 times
You can find lots in that range in Loudoun and other counties still in the D.C. metro but I'm not sure how they'll feel about someone just putting a trailer on there like you're planning to cook some meth out there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.