Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2020, 08:07 PM

29 posts, read 32,791 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SweethomeSanAntonio View Post
San Antonio is not to far from being amongst the 20 largest metro areas in the country. The latest figures also rank San Antonio's urbanized area about 21st largest in the country.

City proper wise it is not far from becoming the 6th biggest in the country and sits in the 15th most populous county in the nation.
So whatever metric is used, San Antonio is large in any regard.
No.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2020, 09:58 PM

129 posts, read 111,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by masssachoicetts View Post
We talk about it because it presents a false ideology that cities like Phoenix will be 'bigger' than Philadelphia.
I know there's all this new math stuff and I could be wrong, but the last I checked 1.7 million people is "bigger" than 1.6 million people.

Old 10-23-2020, 10:18 PM

3,291 posts, read 2,774,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theTelecommuter View Post
I know there's all this new math stuff and I could be wrong, but the last I checked 1.7 million people is "bigger" than 1.6 million people.

Do you also agree that Jacksonville is "bigger" than Miami? because of "math"?

Old 10-24-2020, 01:21 AM

4,214 posts, read 3,299,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
Because all city proper sizes are different. Do you actually feel Jacksonville is bigger than Miami or Atlanta or San Antonio is bigger than San Francisco and Boston?
The problem of using this logic to boost these cities is that exactly no one is confused as to where San Francisco starts and ends. Its not like people are walking around in Walnut Creek and thinking "wow, I didn't even notice we left San Francisco! Everything is just so urban and contiguous!"

So yes, it is a small city. Yes San Diego city feels bigger than San Francisco. The metro does not.

Old 10-24-2020, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Losfrisco View Post
The problem of using this logic to boost these cities is that exactly no one is confused as to where San Francisco starts and ends. Its not like people are walking around in Walnut Creek and thinking "wow, I didn't even notice we left San Francisco! Everything is just so urban and contiguous!"

So yes, it is a small city. Yes San Diego city feels bigger than San Francisco. The metro does not.
Laughable.

Old 10-24-2020, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeTwoThree View Post
Laughable.
You understand that San Francisco is 45 square miles bordered on three sides by water, right?

Old 10-24-2020, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Losfrisco View Post
You understand that San Francisco is 45 square miles bordered on three sides by water, right?
In sheer size, sure, San Diego is bigger, as in more square miles. Is that what you’re honestly arguing? Why would you even make such a statement, that San Diego FEELS bigger, when it in fact is bigger, once again, in space? That’s like you being 5 foot 11 and saying that you FEEL taller than your 5 foot 2 wife.

Once again, and in keeping up with the theme of the OP, in every category that matters, San Francisco is and feels much larger than San Diego.

Old 10-24-2020, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeTwoThree View Post
In sheer size, sure, San Diego is bigger, as in more square miles. Is that what you’re honestly arguing? Why would you even make such a statement, that San Diego FEELS bigger, when it in fact is bigger, once again, in space? That’s like you being 5 foot 11 and saying that you FEEL taller than your 5 foot 2 wife.

Once again, and in keeping up with the theme of the OP, in every category that matters, San Francisco is and feels much larger than San Diego.
I'm arguing that the average person is aware as to when they are in the city of San Francisco and when they are in the metro area outside of the city.

You're welcome to describe in detail the ways in which San Francisco feels much larger than San Diego, seeing as how its 1/7th the size and much less populated.

Old 10-24-2020, 01:56 PM

3,971 posts, read 9,680,002 times
This is an interesting topic.

Here's how I will weigh in- I live in the Minneapolis-St. Paul metro, also known as the 'Twin Cities'. My situation is unique in the sense that both cities are very small in land area (54 sq miles & 52 sq miles) and they border each other, while also having downtown's with skylines.

Historically, there was much consternation as Minneapolis was growing, as outer cities and "suburbs" resisted annexation by Minneapolis in St. Paul. In Minnesota, those who live outside the Twin Cities metro area, refer to the area as "the Cities". Not in reference to Minneapolis and/or St. Paul, rather the hundreds of suburbs that make up the metro.

Minneapolis is the 46th largest US city based on population - 430,000 and
Saint Paul is the 63rd largest US city based on population - 310,000

The MSA is the 16th largest in the US - 3,655,000

The situation is also very unique in the sense that it's often said that Minneapolis was the first city of the West, while Saint Paul was the last city of the East. And it definitely feels that way. Minneapolis feels like a western city, and St. Paul has much more of an eastern feel. Minneapolis historically is protestant with Scandinavian families while Saint Paul is catholic and Irish. Recently, Minneapolis has the largest Somali population in the US while Saint Paul is home to a very large Hmong community.

The two cities are so incredibly different as they are more like fraternal twins rather than identical twins.

I often wonder what how it would be if Mpls and StP combined, and annexed a few suburbs:
Roseville- 36,000 - 14 sq miles
Edina - 48,000 - 16 sq miles
Bloomington - 86,000 - 39 sq miles
St. Louis Park - 49,000 - 11 sq miles
Lauderdale -2,300 - .42 sq miles
Falcon Heights - 5,300 - 2.24 sq miles

That would give us a city of 1,035,000 in 189 square miles...

Very similar to San Jose at 1,021,800 in 177 square miles...

However, metros drastically different...

Interesting topic thanks for playing along
Attached Thumbnails
How do you determine largest cities in the US?-untitled.jpg  

Old 10-24-2020, 02:19 PM

3,539 posts, read 2,329,409 times
MSA is best used for a cities economic influence/pull

UA (Urban Area) better reflects the cities actually physical size/population
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.