Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2020, 09:51 PM

12,163 posts, read 8,002,089 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LLCNYC View Post
Im a New Englander...CT doesn't make the cut.
Once you pass New Haven or Waterbury.. fair game.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2020, 10:21 PM

6,808 posts, read 6,038,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LLCNYC View Post
Im a New Englander...CT doesn't make the cut.
I dunno. Windham County feels super, classic-New England to me. The relationship between Bridgeport and Fairfield is very similar to others in New England like Springfield/Longmeadow, Hartford/West Hartford, Lawrence/Andover, etc. While it’s the same in parts of the mid-Atlantic, I think going from very poor to very rich in just a few feet is a pretty New England-y trait.

Relates to that other poster’s “good fences make good neighbors”. Turns out town boundaries make the best fences.

Old 10-14-2020, 03:57 AM

5,743 posts, read 3,598,707 times
The way they talk. Throughout history, language has always trumped everything else as a definer of cultural linearity. People who speak like their parents are the ones who act most like them.

Old 10-14-2020, 06:16 AM

21,629 posts, read 12,754,191 times
All of Connecticut is New England. Full stop.

Old 10-14-2020, 06:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by masssachoicetts View Post
If you meet 7 of the 11 below, you may, just may be a New Englander.

1. Hatred towards the New York Yankees.
2. Ability to drink Iced Coffee's from Dunkin all day anyday. Even when it's 20 degrees out.
3. Summer trips include going down to the Cape, the Vineyard or Newport.
4. You know the Bernie and Phyl's jingle (Yes, Ive heard this in CT, ME, MA and VT).
5. You are either Irish, Portuguese or Italian.
6. You Ski.
7. You have a preference for Clam Chowder bases (White, Clear, Red).
9. Its probably too cold to swim in the closest beach or lake to you in June.
10. Sarcasm is your sense of humor.
11. You rank pizza places. This is like all over tik tok with New Yorkers making fun of Bostonians for "ranking pizza places" new one. I think it's very funny and very true.

Optional 12th for Bostonians only
12. You think New England is synonymous with Boston no matter how many times you claim to know the difference. No matter how many people tell you, New England is Boston to you and vice versa.

No, but in all honesty... just being from MA, NH, VT, RI, ME, or CT (Bar Fairfield County).
I only have 3 4 9 10 11

Old 10-14-2020, 08:54 AM

964 posts, read 723,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
All of Connecticut is New England. Full stop.
This. I grew up in New England (CT, and then MA). CT is 100% within New England. All of it. I don't know how many times this comes up but I make it a point to shoot it down every time.

That means that a portion of New England is included in the NYC metro area, and roots for the Yankees. And??? Just because FFC is not oriented toward Boston does not mean it is not New England. Also, drive around the leafy areas of FFC county - this is some of the most stereotypical "Rich New England" that you will see. To me it feels distinctly different than Westchester. I cross the county line and immediately know I am in CT.

Old 10-14-2020, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcb175 View Post
This. I grew up in New England (CT, and then MA). CT is 100% within New England. All of it. I don't know how many times this comes up but I make it a point to shoot it down every time.

That means that a portion of New England is included in the NYC metro area, and roots for the Yankees. And??? Just because FFC is not oriented toward Boston does not mean it is not New England. Also, drive around the leafy areas of FFC county - this is some of the most stereotypical "Rich New England" that you will see. To me it feels distinctly different than Westchester. I cross the county line and immediately know I am in CT.
I'd be willing to wager 80% of Bostonians and New Englanders not in CT think that little part of Ct that has NY influence isnt new england going off my #12 point, Boston is centric to New England. Not saying they are right.. but that's what most people in New England think. Just relaying the message too.

Also in Upstate NY, a lot of areas will say that they live in New England especially in Saratoga, Plattsburgh, Watertown and Lake Placid. Just because they hate NYC and root for like 2 or 3 Boston teams, they think that they are New England.

So New Englanders will say Fairfield County "isn't New England"
Upstaters will say parts of Upstate are New England
Bostonians will say New England is Boston

Lol.

Old 10-14-2020, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by masssachoicetts View Post
I'd be willing to wager 80% of Bostonians and New Englanders not in CT think that little part of Ct that has NY influence isnt new england going off my #12 point, Boston is centric to New England. Not saying they are right.. but that's what most people in New England think. Just relaying the message too.

Also in Upstate NY, a lot of areas will say that they live in New England especially in Saratoga, Plattsburgh, Watertown and Lake Placid. Just because they hate NYC and root for like 2 or 3 Boston teams, they think that they are New England.

So New Englanders will say Fairfield County "isn't New England"
Upstaters will say parts of Upstate are New England
Bostonians will say New England is Boston

Lol.
The people in FFC are some of the snobbiest most stereotypically New England people you will ever meet.

Alot of New England is centered around bosotn. Springfield isnt. Bangor isnt. Burlington isn't. etc. Only Bostonians would say that simply because they dislike (jealous?) NYC that much.

No normal person ins Springfield or RI or VT is going to say CT isn't New England. Not in real life. Sports isn't that important.

People in Upstate NY/Capitol region are close enough to being New England IMO-theres no major difference really.

Old 10-14-2020, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
The people in FFC are some of the snobbiest most stereotypically New England people you will ever meet.

Alot of New England is centered around bosotn. Springfield isnt. Bangor isnt. Burlington isn't. etc. Only Bostonians would say that simply because they dislike (jealous?) NYC that much.

No normal person ins Springfield or RI or VT is going to say CT isn't New England. Not in real life. Sports isn't that important.

People in Upstate NY/Capitol region are close enough to being New England IMO-theres no major difference really.
I hear plenty of jokes in VT and RI and even in ME that Ct is on "probation".

Again, it's just a joke or sarcasm. Same way NYC people consider Staten Island, not Nyc. It technically is but there's an on going joke. I highly doubt people from New England go home and cry Boston isn't Nyc, alot of New Englanders don't even like how crazy Boston is right now.. so I can't see most people get jealous of the size of NYC

I'm taking this whole.post with satire, because there's obvious definitions of New England but it's funny to hear what other people say.

Old 10-14-2020, 07:00 PM

9,169 posts, read 13,244,033 times
Default What makes someone a New Englander?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazybreakfast View Post
What things would make you consider that person as a person from/hailing from/ belonging to that region.
Do you think there's a specific culture of New England? How would you identify it and people belonging to it?

This is all just opinions and for fun- would love to hear different thoughts on the matter!
There used to be a specific English culture during the colonial era. New England was dominated heavily by English and Protestant Christian settlement while Canada was French Catholic and the Mid-Atlantic (former New Netherland) was much more diverse even during the colonial era.

Today of course, New England is extremely diverse, which is more like the Mid-Atlantic in that regard then the old New England.

At least three things survive from those early English days in New England:

- a strong connection to the sea, at least 4 states have long coastlines for their size and the cultural heavily involves the sea in much of New England.

- a strong local government that incorporates most of these states, fairly unique to just New England and the nearby Upper Mid-Atlantic

- the names of counties, cities and towns! All those English place names along with some surviving Algonquin Indian names.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.