Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-18-2020, 10:42 PM

2,448 posts, read 2,231,492 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by citidata18 View Post
I will admit, the last time I flew through Birmingham's airport was 10-15 years ago. If the airport facilities and flight options have gotten better since then, that's awesome.
if you haven't flown through birmingham's airport in the past 10-15 years, then you haven't flown through birmingham's airport. it went through a major ($200 million) facelift / expansion in 2014. flight options are probably similar, though... having ATL 2 hours away definitely takes a toll.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2020, 01:42 AM

1,726 posts, read 1,720,772 times
Birmingham, AL
Chattanooga, TN
Des Moines, IA
Grand Rapids, MI
Greensboro, NC
Huntsville, AL
Lexington, KY
Knoxville, TN
Rochester, MN
Tallahassee, FL
Wichita, KS
Winston-Salem, NC

Old 10-19-2020, 01:45 AM

8,302 posts, read 5,702,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimCity2000 View Post
if you haven't flown through birmingham's airport in the past 10-15 years, then you haven't flown through birmingham's airport.
That makes no sense what so ever.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimCity2000 View Post
it went through a major ($200 million) facelift / expansion in 2014. flight options are probably similar, though...
Fair enough. Good for Birmingham that ithaa since made strides towards modernizing its airport.

Old 10-19-2020, 05:08 AM

2,448 posts, read 2,231,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citidata18 View Post
That makes no sense what so ever.
it was hyperbole.

Old 10-19-2020, 06:01 AM

2 posts, read 6,674 times
Billings, MT has a pretty good shot. Des Moines, IA also.

Old 10-19-2020, 09:47 AM

29 posts, read 41,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenjiDoerr View Post
I actually was being recruited for a job in Billings. Anything in particular to know about the area?

Old 10-19-2020, 10:12 AM

1,485 posts, read 2,251,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenjiDoerr View Post

I think there's several hidden gems in Montana, but I don't necessarily think Billings is at the forefront. It's the largest city in the state, but geography is not its friend (it's isolated in an already-isolated state, plus it's firmly a Plains city and doesn't have the jaw-dropping scenery other cities further west have). Butte and Helena are nice, but don't have the "it" factor of Missoula or (especially) Bozeman. Bozeman might be the city to keep an eye on in the next couple of decades. It's a college town, and is also the closest notable city to Yellowstone. It's also doubled in size over the past 20 years and is showing no signs of slowing down.

And Des Moines is about as "discovered" as it's ever going to get (not that that's necessarily a bad thing). It has some decent growth going for it, but it has too many strikes against it (such as geography, climate, mediocre infrastructure, lack of public universities, limited funds, lots of nondescript neighborhoods and suburbs with only modest-to-moderate diversity) to really be anything other than a "mid major" city.

Old 10-19-2020, 10:14 AM

6,793 posts, read 4,236,377 times
I'm not sure what would be driving Billings as a destination. Cold winters, not much in the way of picturesque scenery (which seems to have driven the growth of other areas in MT). It's like Cheyenne as in it's the biggest city in a state without big cities..except Cheyenne is likely going to profit from Denver overflow. So I'd say Cheyenne over Billings in terms of likelihood of considerable growth.

Old 10-19-2020, 10:23 AM

29 posts, read 41,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Veritas Vincit View Post
I'm not sure what would be driving Billings as a destination. Cold winters, not much in the way of picturesque scenery (which seems to have driven the growth of other areas in MT). It's like Cheyenne as in it's the biggest city in a state without big cities..except Cheyenne is likely going to profit from Denver overflow. So I'd say Cheyenne over Billings in terms of likelihood of considerable growth.
In another thread, I speculated that Cheyenne might see growth from overflow from Fort Collins and Denver. I think it will happen, but will probably take some years.

Old 10-19-2020, 12:26 PM

4,147 posts, read 2,960,858 times
OKC, especially Edmond. Mild winters, sunny climate, and hot but not too humid. Low state income tax and very low property taxes, as well as affordable, high quality new construction. Roads have potholes, but there's an enormous network of freeways so you can get anywhere in the OKC area very fast. Only 90 minutes from Tulsa and three hours from DFW, both very doable weekend trips. When Dallas gets too expensive people who are priced out are going to come to OKC. Edmond, in particular, has two high schools that rank within the top 500 in the nation, above even many good schools in DFW and in Southern California. OKCs downtown also feels impressive for a metro area of only 1.3 million. The metro area is truly one of the only metro areas above one million that are still center right.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.