Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2020, 02:32 PM

8,302 posts, read 5,705,570 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redlionjr View Post
Meh on Temple and Killeen over Tyler.
I'm curious to hear your reason(s) why.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redlionjr View Post
If there’s any town out of Texas that was “NEXT” on the up and coming list I’d say San Marcos or Bryan-College Station for sure.
San Marcos is already kind of "discovered," given it has doubled in population since 2000.

As far as Bryan-College Station, the problems I have with it are the lack of interstate connectivity and the fact that Houston's growth rate has slowed down notably over the past several years (so it's not sprawling as quickly NW as it was before).

As things stand now, B-CS kind of way out there off the beaten path.

At least with Sherman-Denison, Dallas is showing no signs of slowing down. Tens of thousands of new homes are currently in the early stages of development out towards Anna and Van Alstyne, which is practically knocking on S-D's door.

Last edited by citidata18; 10-14-2020 at 02:42 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2020, 03:21 PM

6,772 posts, read 4,518,151 times
There are a lot of cities/metros that are being mentioned that, IMO, are already "discovered" or in the process of being "discovered" at the moment.

Some that I think are really great places now that might be more on the radar over the next 5-10 years:

Greensboro/Winston Salem NC, Waco TX, Grand Rapids MI, Fayetteville/Springdale AR. I'm going to throw in Cincinnati, OH (IN/KY). Though they do get some positive mention here on C-D, I think they are very much underrated and will be noticed by more ranking publications and individuals looking to relocate in the near future.

For their sakes, I hope there isn't such an influx that the charm and wonderful aspects of these areas are diluted. But these 5 are incredible hidden gems for sure, IMO. Good thread!

Old 10-14-2020, 03:31 PM

21,631 posts, read 12,766,606 times
Worcester MA is one. I dont like it but some do.

Very gritty/grungy feel with lotta new restaurants and some arts culture. Its trying to Providence itself and its working some. Idk why it doesn't work as well for Providence itself.

Its one of the only MA gateway cities in MA to be able to actually attract some displaced professionals from Boston. It also attracts many highly educated Ghanian immigrants.

Even though its ugly and grungy in the core it has many nice, suburban areas and colleges. It recently built a minor league baseball stadium and is one of the only New England cities not in the Boston MSA to have population growth.

Along with Stamford CT, Worcester is the most stable/healthy major New England city outside of Boston.

Old 10-14-2020, 03:38 PM

2,751 posts, read 2,420,713 times
Richmond, VA
smaller NC and SC cities
Chattanooga, TN
Buffalo
Syracuse

Old 10-14-2020, 03:43 PM

12,164 posts, read 8,010,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
Worcester MA is one. I dont like it but some do.

Very gritty/grungy feel with lotta new restaurants and some arts culture. Its trying to Providence itself and its working some. Idk why it doesn't work as well for Providence itself.

Its one of the only MA gateway cities in MA to be able to actually attract some displaced professionals from Boston. It also attracts many highly educated Ghanian immigrants.

Even though its ugly and grungy in the core it has many nice, suburban areas and colleges. It recently built a minor league baseball stadium and is one of the only New England cities not in the Boston MSA to have population growth.

Along with Stamford CT, Worcester is the most stable/healthy major New England city outside of Boston.
I really dont understand why RI can't hold anything. Most/all of its sucess right now is either from Brown or being close to Boston.

Boston is exploing right now, never has seen this much development out of any recorded year. That means WOrcester will do well, because Worcester is still pretty tied into Boston's economy and success. Home prices in Worcester are up 13% this year and 21% since 2019 in Worcester, so growth is coming along there. Last time I went to Wrocester it was a mess. Just construction project after construction project.

Old 10-14-2020, 04:20 PM

6,798 posts, read 4,240,302 times
Buffalo? One of the worst tax environments in the country coupled with one of the worst climates this country has to offer, and too far from any other major city to benefit from its economic dynamism. New York state is draining people year after year for a reason.

Old 10-14-2020, 04:34 PM

8,302 posts, read 5,705,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Veritas Vincit View Post
Buffalo? One of the worst tax environments in the country coupled with one of the worst climates this country has to offer, and too far from any other major city to benefit from its economic dynamism.
Agreed. I think Buffalo is a weird pick too.

Old 10-14-2020, 04:56 PM

9,380 posts, read 9,338,690 times
I would say for the most part cities in the South / West have a better shot at getting "discovered" due to warmer weather and generally lower cost of living.

I think cities like Detroit and Cincinnati will have a continued wave of rediscovery, but not to the levels of Austin or Nashville.

For small cities, I will give a shoutout to Lancaster, PA, which is a cool small city, and has seen a bit of action due to its somewhat close location to Philadelphia and even New York.

Old 10-14-2020, 04:59 PM

9,360 posts, read 14,107,382 times
Business and industry have to discover the towns first. Then people will follow. And for big B&I to be attracted the cities end up making some sort of prolonged tax break or new infrastructure offer.

Any idea where that is about to happen?

Old 10-14-2020, 05:09 PM

2,304 posts, read 1,713,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by masssachoicetts View Post
Greensboro NC
Indianapolis IN
Buffalo or Rochester NY

One of those three choices I'd put money on
Why Greensboro out of curiosity? I actually agree about Buffalo - it has the bones to become the next Pittsburgh. Also - the proximity to Toronto, which is seeing tremendous growth, is a big factor.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.